Injury Report: Andrej Sekera out indefinitely (torn Achilles)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If you need an idea how good this team was without Sekera go watch last years games. There’s no viable solution here and if their genius idea is to let Bouchard run wild then f*** you Oilers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So lets say we throw Sekera on LTIR and use the cap space to add Faulk.

What happens when Sekera is ready to go come February?

Sounds like a Peter issue.

Honestly though, how much cap space would we need to make? If Nurse gets a bridge of 3mil, do we really need that much room when/if he returns.

Knowing our luck if we did nothing because of potential cap space issues we'd end up seeing Sekera get injured in rehab and be out for the whole year

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If you need an idea how good this team was without Sekera go watch last years games. There’s no viable solution here and if their genius idea is to let Bouchard run wild then **** you Oilers.

That is 100% their strategy. Hopefully the kid can float.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Why do people think the Oilers solution is to force Bouchard in?

Chia's comments about it make sense. As camp rolls they will take a look and see what to do.

Clearly the plan is.

A) Hope someone legit IMPRESSES at camp and we can fill internally

B) Sekera healing pretty well (Williams came back after like 2 months a few years back) and Chia feels fine using what we have for a few months

C) Same as above but he doesn't feel comfortable so he signs a guy late like we did with Russell

D) Sekera is out long long term and he sees what teams have a log jam at defense near the end of camp or in the first couple weeks and make a move.

He doesn't want to make a big knee jerk reaction, have Sekera heal fast and then have to move out a few mill in cap in a couple months just to make room for Sekera. He wants to wait till training camp to see how badly we need it.

As much as I hate the situation and Chia, his way of going about it makes sense logically

Reactions: Consultant

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
One must come to only a single conclusion after reading this thread.

It's Chia's fault Sekera tore his tendon.

Interesting.

The team's situation is Chia's fault, Sekera tearing his tendon is bad luck, but bad luck tends to follow teams that make dumb decisions.

He will be ultimately be the one who has to pay the piper.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One must come to only a single conclusion after reading this thread.

It's Chia's fault Sekera tore his tendon.

Interesting.
No, but he did build a below average defense that really couldn't handle anyone from the top 4 getting hurt.

Somebody getting hurt on the back end was probably going to happen at some point this year anyway. Unfortunately it happened now. Either way I don't see that PC has any backup plan for one of Klef, Nurse, Sekera or Larsson going down. Now it's become a reality.

Oct 15, 2008
No, but he did build a below average defense that really couldn't handle anyone from the top 4 getting hurt.

Somebody getting hurt on the back end was probably going to happen at some point this year anyway. Unfortunately it happened now. Either way I don't see that PC has any backup plan for one of Klef, Nurse, Sekera or Larsson going down. Now it's become a reality.
Wrong.

He inherited an even worse (much worse) d core from the incompetent ninkompoops he replaced.

Put the blame where it belongs.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010

And this is after he traded away his best bargaining chips. Wonder what he would get for Hall today (after playing sheltered minutes behind McDavid). Hall is now 26, this is when he was supposed to peak, but no trade him two years ago for a questionable top pairing dman, straight across... Trade Eberle when he is at his lowest value... This is Chia's fault and so its up to him to find his way out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wrong.

He inherited an even worse (much worse) d core from the incompetent ninkompoops he replaced.

Put the blame where it belongs.
This is year 4 for PC. Enough with the previous GM's leaving him a bad core.

In 3 years TB was able to add Sergachev, Girardi and McDonagh

Pit went from Letang, Depres, Erhoff, Marin and Scuderi to Maata, Dumolin, Letang, Schultz, Oleksiak and Cole

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well that attempt to quote sure did not work...
Lol.

I'd also add the assets that he used on Reinhart. Not using the KY,JP and Bouchard picks. Nothing against those three guys, but he did decide to keep the picks when there were clear holes in the roster.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Pit went from Letang, Depres, Erhoff, Marin and Scuderi to Maata, Dumolin, Letang, Schultz, Oleksiak and Cole

I agree with this. PC absolutely has to have success this season and by that I mean playoffs.
Make something of the Sekera situation...thats what good GM's do.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree with this. PC absolutely has to have success this season and by that I mean playoffs.

Well I think there's your mistake there. And no where has Chiarelli shown that he's good on the trade market, even most of his backers would concede that trading is not his strong and trading from a weak position is definitely not his forte.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Weve been horrible for so long that fans think that we need to wait 5 years for draft and failed development to accurately judge a GM. Meamwhile the rest of the league is taking turns with their playoff runs.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It would be one thing if the pieces he did trade worked out. The problem is he took a strength and made it a weakness while not really fixing a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad