Injury Report: Andrej Sekera out indefinitely (torn Achilles)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What he did do is help guys like Nurse and Klefbom develop instead of being tossed to the wolves like Schultz was. The injuries have really taken their toll as he was very good for us 2 seasons ago. He is not an offensive dynamo, but is damn good 3 on 3 when healthy. The bottom line is that his injury hurts us in a big way assuming that he was going to be at least close to form after a full offseason of training. Last season's Sekera is not hard at all to replace, the one from 2 seasons ago? That's another story.

I think Larrson helped Nurse. The style of play of Sekera, maybe he helped Klef. Really I don't think he's done a lot here and he's sure not my style of defender. I like strong on the puck defenders that can play physical and dominate. Sekera just doesn't fit that description for me. Larsson and Nurse are more my type of defenders. I'm less enthused with Klef and Sekera.

I really think in 16-17 Talbot made a lot of D here look better than they were. I saw lots of mistakes by Sekera and Klef throughout. Just that Talbot was saving bacon night after night. Sekera didn't start here well in first season either and it wasn't a strong year for him. This season will be 4th and we got one good season out of him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lately?. he missed 50 games last season and played poorly in the games he did play being one of our worst D last season when he even was in the lineup. This season on injury prognosis he's again likely to miss 50 or more games.

This player was always a meh addition anyway. I remember seeing posts here saying he'd be gravy, get 40 or more pts/season, be an offensive dynamo. lol

Its like people took a look at 2-3 hilite reels and figured this guy was offensively gifted.
And when PC signed it who would've thought he would've had those two major injuries?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think Larrson helped Nurse. The style of play of Sekera, maybe he helped Klef. Really I don't think he's done a lot here and he's sure not my style of defender. I like strong on the puck defenders that can play physical and dominate. Sekera just doesn't fit that description for me. Larsson and Nurse are more my type of defenders. I'm less enthused with Klef and Sekera.

I really think in 16-17 Talbot made a lot of D here look better than they were. I saw lots of mistakes by Sekera and Klef throughout. Just that Talbot was saving bacon night after night. Sekera didn't start here well in first season either and it wasn't a strong year for him. This season will be 4th and we got one good season out of him.

His presence allowed Nurse to be broken in properly on the 3rd pairing. Had we not signed Sekera and Russell, Nurse would've been force fed 2nd pairing minutes 2 years ago. Sekera is not a physical defender but he is a decent defender IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
His presence allowed Nurse to be broken in properly on the 3rd pairing. Had we not signed Sekera and Russell, Nurse would've been force fed 2nd pairing minutes 2 years ago. Sekera is not a physical defender but he is a decent defender IMO.

I would say that he was a solid top 4 dman and thats what he was (and more) the first 2 years as an Oiler. It was an excellent signing IMO and its really unfortunate to see his career unravel the way it is.
He deserved better and so did the team.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Sekera of 16/17, i.e. the normal Sekera, would have been an extremely useful addition to this team obviously. He is what he is, exactly what Chia said when he acquired him: a linchpin for the 2nd pairing. 15/16 he was played as #1 and it was up and down, 16/17 he could be that player since Larsson (with Klefbom) took over his role and then Sekera thrived, 17/18 etc ... Well, it is what it is, he's been absolutely horrible for the few games he has played, right now I sure just want him off the books. Seeing his level of play coming off his last major injury I cannot see how he'll be useful again. I hope I am wrong, but I just can't see it.

That said I don't think the D is in shambles because of this. Nurse and Klefbom are now in positions where they should be able to cover the top two LD positions. Russell can play 3rd LD. RD after Larsson could be an issue, but between Benning getting out of his sophomore slump, Bouchard and Bear taking another step in his development (he's had a really impresive development curve so far) I am not that worried, even though it is not ideal. I happen to think that Lagesson will take that 3 LD spot in TC, which leaves Russell as an option for the right side as well.

Edit: and I don't think any additions will happen from here on in.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I thought Lagesson wasn't coming over yet.

Sekera of 16/17, i.e. the normal Sekera, would have been an extremely useful addition to this team obviously. He is what he is, exactly what Chia said when he acquired him: a linchpin for the 2nd pairing. 15/16 he was played as #1 and it was up and down, 16/17 he could be that player since Larsson (with Klefbom) took over his role and then Sekera thrived, 17/18 etc ... Well, it is what it is, he's been absolutely horrible for the few games he has played, right now I sure just want him off the books. Seeing his level of play coming off his last major injury I cannot see how he'll be useful again. I hope I am wrong, but I just can't see it.

That said I don't think the D is in shambles because of this. Nurse and Klefbom are now in positions where they should be able to cover the top two LD positions. Russell can play 3rd LD. RD after Larsson could be an issue, but between Benning getting out of his sophomore slump, Bouchard and Bear taking another step in his development (he's had a really impresive development curve so far) I am not that worried, even though it is not ideal. I happen to think that Lagesson will take that 3 LD spot in TC, which leaves Russell as an option for the right side as well.

Edit: and I don't think any additions will happen from here on in.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Persson is the player I would like to see over here. By all reports he might be NHL ready now.
He does not want to come over. That is why he chose EDM. It was apparently one of the teams that were fine with him taking his time and staying in the SHL.

I would be cautious about Persson though, be's been on such a steep development curve that it is scary. I need to see him a bit more to be confident he can keep it up. If he can, then watch out, but he's a joker in my book.

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He does not want to come over. That is why he chose EDM. It was apparently one of the teams that were fine with him taking his time and staying in the SHL.

I would be cautious about Persson though, be's been on such a steep development curve that it is scary. I need to see him a bit more to be confident he can keep it up. If he can, then watch out, but he's a joker in my book.

Appreciate the input. Whats your sense on when he will likely come over?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The Oilers are already in a big hole.

With Sekera gone and them being so tight to the cap, it’s pretty hard for them to do much. I guess they could try and trade for a defenseman on a short term contract once the season starts and they can put Sekera on LTIR. Teams don’t trade much at the start of the year and no ones going to do us any favors.

They pretty much need a top 4 RD to keep one of Klefbom or Russell on the third pair.

I don’t think Enstrom is the answer but a 1 year 800k contract isn’t the end of the world.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Appreciate the input. Whats your sense on when he will likely come over?
Unless he hits a speed-bump this season he'll come next season if the Oilers qualify him. He wants to be here but thinks he needs another year to be ready. He was still working (85%) as a teacher's assisstant in 16/17 and is trying to get used to pro-hockey life. This is what I have heard in interviews and commentary regarding Persson.

Reactions: Aerrol and guymez

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Please. Can people stop pointing to the Flames as if they are some sort of benchmark for success?
The Oilers have won more playoff series under Chia than the Flames have under Treliving and don't give me "But the Oilers have McDavid" rhetoric because McDavid won the Art Ross last season and they still finished bottom 10 so it takes more than one player to succeed.

FTR, not defending Chia because he has made his fair share of mistakes and deserves to be fired if they miss the playoffs or even now for that matter but the Flames haven't gone anywhere with all these "prized" defensive acquisitions, the best of which they have already traded away.
Oh and no, the Tambo approach wouldn't have been better, are you kidding me? With the Tambo approach, they would still have a garbage defense (yes, worse than the D they have now) and garbage goaltending although it would have been damn nice to keep those 2015 draft picks.

What the heck does the Flames performance have to do with their ability to acquire good defensemen?! You and I are arguing two completely different arguments.

And yeah, the Tambo approach would have given us at worse a Toronto-esque model.
We'd be sitting with
XXX-McDavid-Draisaitl
Hall-Barzal-Eberle
XXX-RNH-Pitlick/Puljujarvi
Top-9

Russell would have signed here anyways and I have a hard time believing we wouldn't have acquired a Talbot or Ranttaa

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What the heck does the Flames performance have to do with their ability to acquire good defensemen?! You and I are arguing two completely different arguments.

And yeah, the Tambo approach would have given us at worse a Toronto-esque model.
We'd be sitting with
XXX-McDavid-Draisaitl
Hall-Barzal-Eberle
Top-9

Russell would have signed here anyways and I have a hard time believing we wouldn't have acquired a Talbot or Ranttaa
I have a hard time believing the salary cap doesn't exist in your 'worst-case' scenario.

I also have a hard time believing we draft Barzal--another center-- fifteen picks after selecting Connor McDavid with Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent Hopkins already in the organization.

Seriously dude, let go.

Reactions: Wretched Oil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

We'd be sitting with
XXX-McDavid-Draisaitl
Hall-Barzal-Eberle
Top-9

That forward group is probably around $51M once you fill it out. Add in the goalies and you have $21M for defensemen. That means you can't even afford afford Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera and Russell as your core on defense. And your cap issues will just get worse over the next three to five years.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I have a hard time believing the salary cap doesn't exist in your 'worst-case' scenario.

I also have a hard time believing we draft Barzal--another center-- fifteen picks after selecting Connor McDavid with Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent Hopkins already in the organization.

Seriously dude, let go.

Ive never heard of the ''drafting a winger because we already have centers' strategy. I remember losing my **** with other Oiler fans during the draft when it came to that pick and Barzal was still on the board. He was the BPA and I guarantee if you go back to that draft thread most Oiler fans would agree.

Reactions: Aerchon

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

We'd be sitting with
XXX-McDavid-Draisaitl
Hall-Barzal-Eberle
Top-9

Performance has everything to do with it when you point to "the team down south" as a team that got top 4 Dmen without gutting their roster. Great, they got 2 top 4 Dmen without gutting their roster, that got them nowhere in the playoffs then a near bottom 10 finish (of which they had no picks until the 4th round) then traded their best Dman, who btw Chia was willing to match the offer for, but was spurned because Bruins management were a bunch of spiteful babies then got a #4 Dman for what turned out to be the opportunity to draft an elite prospect (Dobson most likely) and a high 2nd rounder. Real model franchise there. Not saying the Oilers are any better btw, just saying that Calgary is nothing to brag about.

As far as the Tambo model is concerned (and btw, the previous scouting staff wasn't going to draft Barzal), what does the defense and goaltending look like? The Toronto model has Anderson who saves their bacon routinely, which goalie was Tambo going to dither to? Probably Brossoit as the starter knowing Tambo.
Not really complimenting Chia here but at least he attempted to improve vital areas of the team, the previous morons either did nothing or banked on half measures. Chia made some critical errors with his management but at least he attempted to improve the team and I still think they will be better off in the long run for it despite some poor management decisions (the Reinhart deal and Lucic, Russell NMCs being the worst errors). Staying the course wasn't going to work in all likelihood but I guess we'll never know.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Performance has everything to do with it when you point to "the team down south" as a team that got top 4 Dmen without gutting their roster. Great, they got 2 top 4 Dmen without gutting their roster, that got them nowhere in the playoffs then a near bottom 10 finish (of which they had no picks until the 4th round) then traded their best Dman, who btw Chia was willing to match the offer for, but was spurned because Bruins management were a bunch of spiteful babies then got a #4 Dman for what turned out to be the opportunity to draft an elite prospect (Dobson most likely) and a high 2nd rounder. Real model franchise there. Not saying the Oilers are any better btw, just saying that Calgary is nothing to brag about.

As far as the Tambo model is concerned (and btw, the previous scouting staff wasn't going to draft Barzal), what does the defense and goaltending look like? The Toronto model has Anderson who saves their bacon routinely, which goalie was Tambo going to dither to? Probably Brossoit as the starter knowing Tambo.
Not really complimenting Chia here but at least he attempted to improve vital areas of the team, the previous morons either did nothing or banked on half measures. Chia made some critical errors with his management but at least he attempted to improve the team and I still think they will be better off in the long run for it despite some poor management decisions (the Reinhart deal and Lucic, Russell NMCs being the worst errors). Staying the course wasn't going to work in all likelihood but I guess we'll never know.
Giving Russell and Lucic a NMC is hopefully not a summary of his negotiating skills.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Sekera is a bonified top 3 on most if not all teams when healthy. Was arguably our best defender in 2016-2017 with his primary partner being Russell who was playing his offside. That year he was great and a huge part of why we made the playoffs and had good success there too.

On our roster a healthy Sekera is realistically irreplaceable.

Reactions: Aerrol and guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad