Injury Report: Andrej Meszaros: torn rotator cuff, left shoulder surgery; Gustafasson up

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Now with an official link:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=15758&navid=DL|PHI|home

VOORHEES, N.J. – The injury news has gotten worse for the Flyers.

Andrej Meszaros re-injured his left shoulder in the closing minutes of yesterday’s 5-2 loss to the New York Rangers when he collided with a Rangers player on a clearing attempt in his own zone.

According to Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren, Meszaros will be out of the lineup indefinitely.

Meszaros already missed more than a month this season with a similar injury, also suffered against the Rangers in the fourth game of the season.

It has been a trying calendar year for the Flyers defenseman who used to own an iron man streak of games played only to suffer a back injury that required surgery last March, a ruptured Achilles tendon that required surgery in July and a pair of shoulder injuries this season.

The Flyers recalled Erik Gustafsson to replace Meszaros in the lineup and he will be in the lineup tomorrow against the Islanders if Nick Grosmann, who is still day-to-day with an upper body injury, can’t play (he did not practice Wednesday).

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Well, there's a $4.5 million dollar waste of space named Coburn.......

Well if the Flyers trade Coburn now with what remains of the defense, I think they will definitely pass Florida for the 1st overall pick, or top chance at it anyway.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Of course. Why wouldn't Meszaros be hurt too? Actually, this is pretty concerning overall for Mez's future. He could be close to being done after all of these pretty serious injuries.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers now
Flyers have recalled Erik Gustafsson. Likely to play tomorrow if Grossmann can't go.

loled at this.

YA. FOSTER OVER GUS FRANK

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Well if the Flyers trade Coburn now with what remains of the defense, I think they will definitely pass Florida for the 1st overall pick, or top chance at it anyway.

Outside of Hartnell, Coburn is probably the only piece the Flyers have left they can move that would end up getting a very nice return. As much as I despise the guy, I realize that there are teams out there that would be enamored with his physical gifts and would probably give up quite a bounty to land a 28 year old, 6'5, swift skating defenseman. There'd be no reason to believe that the Flyers couldn't land a blue chip prospect, a 1st and young roster player for him. It'd be a nice way to kick off the rebuild. Yep, using that word that should have been used back in 2007.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Sadly it looks like the Flyers will be stuck with Meszaros cap hit next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad