Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy - Part 2

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

It’s gonna be interesting how things will play out in goal. Will Vas find acceptable form again? Or will he put the world on fire again? Or will he crap the bed some more?

Maybe even more interesting: How will the backup situation play out? Our hands are kind of tied but is Johansson the answer and will provide steady goaltending and some needed relief for Vas? Or will we have to bring somebody up from Syracuse or outside the org?

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
It’s gonna be interesting how things will play out in goal. Will Vas find acceptable form again? Or will he put the world on fire again? Or will he crap the bed some more?

Maybe even more interesting: How will the backup situation play out? Our hands are kind of tied but is Johansson the answer and will provide steady goaltending and some needed relief for Vas? Or will we have to bring somebody up from Syracuse or outside the org?
I’d like to see more movement this year than last. More call ups. More lineup changes. And yeah, I’d like vasy to sit more for a backup even if we lose the game. Teach the defense not to rely on vasy and also let vasy be fresh.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I’d like to see more movement this year than last. More call ups. More lineup changes. And yeah, I’d like vasy to sit more for a backup even if we lose the game. Teach the defense not to rely on vasy and also let vasy be fresh.
If Vasy returns to form then Coop should definitely be resting him more, based off his offseason comments.

If he's still looking shakey, he may get more games to try and figure some things out, hoping he can shake off whatever mental thing is bothering his game.

Vasy is (obviously) the key to this teams success and if they want to take one last big run.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If there is any silver lining here, he's probably the guy who could use some days off the most. Don't want to speculate until we get some official news though

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
If there is any silver lining here, he's probably the guy who could use some days off the most. Don't want to speculate until we get some official news though
Excellent point, although he is also the guy with the seemingly least capable backups going into camp.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Still genuinely surprised how a professional athlete in 2023 doesn't understand the importance of recovery, this isn't 2003, this stuff prolongs careers by several years.

Some of the videos from other sports are crazy, these guys have like 1+hour routines after games and practices but Andreis like nah I gotta get home and play with my cat. Still kind of dumb for a season to be washed down because your most important player didn't take his fitness seriously.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Still genuinely surprised how a professional athlete in 2023 doesn't understand the importance of recovery, this isn't 2003, this stuff prolongs careers by several years.

Some of the videos from other sports are crazy, these guys have like 1+hour routines after games and practices but Andreis like nah I gotta get home and play with my cat. Still kind of dumb for a season to be washed down because your most important player didn't take his fitness seriously.
Knowing that your organization has put its entire season on your health as a goaltender can make or break that person's work ethics. Rarely is there a middle of the road when so much is on one person's shoulders.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Knowing that your organization has put its entire season on your health as a goaltender can make or break that person's work ethics. Rarely is there a middle of the road when so much is on one person's shoulders.

I mean this applies to every starting goaltender in the league. Vasi is in a better position than the majority of the league considering Tampa has plenty of stars in front of him should he not perform, there really is no excuse for what happened last year, not looking afrer his body and not being prepared for the playoffs, he just dropped the ball. Our division was so top heavy we had our match up determined in January....

Reactions: RDTBay4

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
I mean this applies to every starting goaltender in the league. Vasi is in a better position than the majority of the league considering Tampa has plenty of stars in front of him should he not perform, there really is no excuse for what happened last year, not looking afrer his body and not being prepared for the playoffs, he just dropped the ball. Our division was so top heavy we had our match up determined in January....
Most teams have either a good NHL backup or a proven AHL Vet/top prospect in the AHL getting ice time he would not get being number two on the NHL roster.
The Lightning have none of these.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
We made the playoffs by 7 points last year. vasy sadly isn’t in a situation where he can just take it easy and let brian elliott or jonas johansson play 30 games

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We made the playoffs by 7 points last year. vasy sadly isn’t in a situation where he can just take it easy and let brian elliott or jonas johansson play 30 games
We made the playoffs by 7 points because we coast when the games aren't important. At least since 2019. If we needed to win big games, we would have.

Vasy should have swallowed his pride and fessed up to whatever was bothering him. Especially if he could have recovered by playoff time.

We could have survived Elliott for a stretch of regular season games -- maybe we would even have spent the Jeannot assets on a goalie. But it was impossible to survive a round of playoff hockey with that version of Vasy in net. We did about as well as could possibly have been expected vs. The Leafs. Vasy spotted them a goal every night. At least.

Reactions: RDTBay4 and Zwui21

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That Feb-April last year might have been the most boring stretch of hockey in the last decade for this team, it wasn't even close to sink or swim. Everyone knew the Leafs were playing the Lightning barring a monumental collapse by both teams and Vasi wasn't exactly playing well either.

Reactions: DFC

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
unless i missed it and someone cited their sources, this is all conjecture.

only quote i could find:
"My mistake was that I didn't really pay attention to my recovery," Vasilevskiy said on Tuesday, three days after Tampa Bay was eliminated by Toronto in a first-round playoff series.

"The first 30, 35 games, I felt as usual, but then me and my body weren't on the same page, I guess," Vasilevskiy added. "All those small injuries came out at the same time. Good lessons, another experience. This season really showed me that I have to be smart about it. So, if I want to be a workhorse, I have to recover well."
which is super vague, and potentially not without gamesmanship. speculating that vasy only "goes home to play with his cat" is an inflammatory post.

id like vasy to sit more this year, but i bet he doesn't.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
unless i missed it and someone cited their sources, this is all conjecture.

only quote i could find:

which is super vague, and potentially not without gamesmanship. speculating that vasy only "goes home to play with his cat" is an inflammatory post.

id like vasy to sit more this year, but i bet he doesn't.
We had better hope it was an injury. Otherwise its tiMe to rebuild.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
I was thinking he should get credited with a shutout despite them getting 4 by him. We had given up 24 slot scoring chances in the first two periods alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad