Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy - Part 2

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
He's doing relatively well on the "high danger" chances this year:

1705172796675.png

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
He's up to 24th out of 32 goalies who've played as many games as he has with a sparkling .898 save %. Keep climbin!

He is tied with Georgiev of Colorado, who has played 36 games for them with that save rate, and they are still 3rd in their conference with 10 more points than us.

Reactions: Burkeocet

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He's up to 24th out of 32 goalies who've played as many games as he has with a sparkling .898 save %. Keep climbin!

He is tied with Georgiev of Colorado, who has played 36 games for them with that save rate, and they are still 3rd in their conference with 10 more points than us.
Georgiev's also an All-Star, so we're getting All-Star calibre goaltending from Vasi right now!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Wasn’t it two years ago and players still voted Crosby for best player?

I think besides looking at stats and (perceived) skill players value accomplishments (Cups, trophies and individual awards) a lot when rating peers.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
These player polls should be released with a delay of 2-3 years. Then they'd be more accurate.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Wasn't his best in the playoffs last season but he's been stellar in pretty much all the other playoff runs we've had. Not surprising they choose him as best as when it matters most he seems to have his best games other than last season as we found out he needed some surgery done. Hopefully he can keep bring clutch vasi back for upcoming runs. Especially this one if we make it. We will need him.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
The man had back surgery and missed the first two months of the season.

I'm betting he was never really able to get into a groove.

Hopefully this all star break acts as a nice reset mentally for him. (same goes for the entire team).

Would like to see the big guys come out and play the way we know the can. Kuch is already doing his part.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Huge win streak and better play overall, surprised he is he still sub .900

Everyone takes the injury excuse too far, that's what the recovery period after the surgery is for. Remember how everyone said Cirelli was only playing bad last year because he had surgery then missed training camp? Lol explain this year then.

Reactions: FinnLightning26

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Huge win streak and better play overall, surprised he is he still sub .900

Everyone takes the injury excuse too far, that's what the recovery period after the surgery is for. Remember how everyone said Cirelli was only playing bad last year because he had surgery then missed training camp? Lol explain this year then.
Let me know if I'm following this correctly - Cirelli isn't playing better this year than he did coming back from his injury last year, so Vasy's play can't be affected by his injury this year...?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Let me know if I'm following this correctly - Cirelli isn't playing better this year than he did coming back from his injury last year, so Vasy's play can't be affected by his injury this year...?

Or he could not be...? You know this how?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't. You seem to think you do though:

Nothing is citing he's injured and he's played every game he's been able. That's classified as a healthy player, unless you think they're risking his career by playing him injured just to get in the playoffs of course.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Nothing is citing he's injured and he's played every game he's been able. That's classified as a healthy player, unless you think they're risking his career by playing him injured just to get in the playoffs of course.
It's not a simple binary either of being:
1. Injured and unable to play
or
2. 100% back to where he was before injury.

Have you ever heard them say it takes running backs in football 2 years to get back to where they were before an MCL tear, even though they are able to play a year later? Have you ever had surgery of any kind? I've had arthroscopic hip surgery and I could walk on it without crutches after six weeks but it was over a year before it felt normal. I recently had surgery for a broken wrist, they told me it will be 6 months to a year before it feels completely normal again.

No one except Vasy knows whether he's completely unaffected by the injury and surgery any more. Maybe he's completely unaffected by it by now and he's just not as good as he used to be. Only time will tell, as in multiple seasons, as it's not abnormal for even the greatest players to have peaks and valleys in their careers.

As someone pointed out today, Shesterkin, with a career save % of .920, is having just as bad a season as Vasy as they have matching save %'s, though Shesterkin has played 6 more games and didn't have back surgery this season. I don't know if he's had any other problems, he had some undisclosed injury in early November 2023, but NY still has the 8th highest point total in the league, so it says something about the rest of NY's team vs ours to this point.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019

I have both of them and Cam Talbot too as my goalies on fantasy hockey. That’s why all 3 are playing so bad.

• Haha
Reactions: OffBy1

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Hopefully he's able to stop a blueline shot in the playoffs this go around. Maybe whatever he used to grow this.. thing.. on his head seeped into his brain affecting eyesight or something.

andrei-vasilevskiy-2023-55.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad