Add one to your team

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I definitely undersold EP at the time of this, damn has he been great. Svech does have more in him that we haven’t seen yet though, I think he will still become a phenomenal player.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
This was linked from another poll, and I wanted to necrobump to highlight two freezing cold takes.

Very rarely do you see posters proven so thoroughly wrong, so quickly.
I feel like this is very premature. I had someone quote me about Barzal over Matthews last year since Barzal was on a tear with multiple 5+ point games, clearly I wasn't too far off saying Matthews was still the better player by a decent amount :). I still think Svechnikov can be an elite player. EP has done above and beyond my personal expectations though and I think he's a legitimate star as well.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I did not realize this was bumped and I was so confused :laugh:

Obviously it would be funny if Svech ended up having the better career and someone saw this post 10 years later and laughed at people laughing at people saying Svech is better

Reactions: c4rdsh4rk

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Hindsight is 20/20.

Sure but I think this poll exposes some really silly biases on this site.

One is draft position. Player A being drafted higher than player B sways people’s opinions too much. The other thing is people on this site always have to be so sure about everything. Hence why “ainec” gets tossed around so much. I don’t know how anyone could’ve said Svechnikov ainec or that Svech is in a different tier. Makes no sense.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Sure but I think this poll exposes some really silly biases on this site.

One is draft position. Player A being drafted higher than player B sways people’s opinions too much. The other thing is people on this site always have to be so sure about everything. Hence why “ainec” gets tossed around so much. I don’t know how anyone could’ve said Svechnikov ainec or that Svech is in a different tier. Makes no sense.
Couldn't agree more, at the time this poll was made I thought it was even stupid to say Svech is better "ainec" or that hes tiers above, even though at the time it would've been more acceptable to say such. Now it would be downright ingorant to vote Svech. Also yes in this thread you can easily see whos just voting against Pettersson for the sake of voting against him.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Oh, don't get me wrong, I had no problems with people saying Svech at the time of the poll, or now even - he' going to be a monster for years to come. It's just those two posters were so unbelievably wrong on Pettersson himself that it seems almost absurd.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
First line player no doubt but doubt anyone saw franchise level talent like what we've been seeing already.

Doubt? He had unprecedented draft year numbers and historical draft +1 numbers. He was tracking to be better than the Sedins/Backstrom/Sundin. Where is this weird narrative coming from. Do we just ignore stats because of a players weight?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Doubt? He had unprecedented draft year numbers and historical draft +1 numbers. He was tracking to be better than the Sedins/Backstrom/Sundin. Where is this weird narrative coming from. Do we just ignore stats because of a players weight?

Silfverberg at 21 put up better numbers in regular season and was breaking playoff records too etc...
Lest we also forget DAVID RUNDBLAD 50 points in 55 games as a defender as a 20 year old (!!!!!!!)

Petersson is a remarkable talent because not only did he have tremendous success in SHL but also seamlessly in NHL too. How many people thought he'd be having these types of numbers this quickly? I saw PPG+ from Petersson down the line when he got more strength but it's not like we haven't seen young prospect stars break records only to fizzle.

No one was doubting Petersson's skill, but with his weight, it was a legit reason. Just goes to show the special talent Petersson is where it overshadowed his deficiencies. Similar to how Sens fans were with EK.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Silfverberg at 21 put up better numbers in regular season and was breaking playoff records too etc...
Lest we also forget DAVID RUNDBLAD 50 points in 55 games as a defender as a 20 year old (!!!!!!!)

Petersson is a remarkable talent because not only did he have tremendous success in SHL but also seamlessly in NHL too. How many people thought he'd be having these types of numbers this quickly? I saw PPG+ from Petersson down the line when he got more strength but it's not like we haven't seen young prospect stars break records only to fizzle.

No one was also doubting Petersson, but with his weight, even more so of a legit excuse. Just goes to show the special talent Petersson is. Similar to how Sens fans were with EK.

Theres a difference doing that at age 20/21 than at ages 18/19... and how did Silverberg put up better regular season numbers?

54 points in 49 games for 21 year old silverberg

56 points in 44 games for 19 year old EP.
19 points in 13 playoff games. SHL MVP, SHL scoring leader,SHL playoff scoring leader, SHL playoff MVP, highest u20 point season of all time.
Doing this as a u20 player screams franchise player.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Theres a difference doing that at age 20/21 than at ages 18/19... and how did Silverberg put up better regular season numbers?

54 points in 49 games for 21 year old silverberg

56 points in 44 games for 19 year old EP.
19 points in 13 playoff games. SHL MVP, SHL scoring leader,SHL playoff scoring leader, SHL playoff MVP, highest u20 point season of all time.
Doing this as a u20 player screams franchise player.

Did you not read my post, I said doubt many would have seen franchise level talent ALREADY. I never said he wasn't capable of being franchise player period. I said with the lack of success by former record-breaker prospects + weight question marks, some early struggles weren't out of the question; how many Vancouver fans predicted he got over ppg in his rookie year?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Did you not read my post, I said doubt many would have seen franchise level talent ALREADY. I never said he wasn't capable of being franchise player period. I said with the lack of success by former record-breaker prospects + weight question marks, some early struggles weren't out of the question; how many Vancouver fans predicted he got over ppg in his rookie year?

No one predicts PPG. I doubt people even predicts PPG for Eichel and Matthews or anyone besides Mcdavid in their rookie years... But people surely arent that surprised, especially Vancouver fans. He has exceeded expectations and every league hes played in besides one bad WJC when he was 18.

Most people had EP as the front runner for the calder to begin the season. Some people predicted Svechnikov to score 25-30 with ~55 ish points as an 18 year old. For EP to win over that he would have to have an amazing season.

Oh and hes a center. what happened to C>W?

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Besides the usual homer Leaf posters (not all) taking shots at Van prospects and a couple 'AINEC' it seems most took the 'safer' option of higher draft pick/shinier new toy, which is pretty understandable.

Svech is still in his D+1 though, no reason he can't go on to be a great goal scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad