Andrei Svechnikov vs. Elias Pettersson

Add one to your team

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Actually it’s pretty debatable weather Svech had a better draft year than EP. It’s not at all uncommon for an OHL draft eligible player to produce like Svech in his draft year but what EP did in the Allsvenskan is unprecedented.

But that’s how it was last year too, nobody seemed to notice EP’s incredible season. That’s why he slid to 5th (and many thought that was a reach) when he never should’ve.

Its uncommon for an OHL guy to have the draft year Svechnikov just did and not be a star in the NHL, who has had draft years comparable to him? First liners and all stars.

And all the unprecedented talk for young guys out of Sweden needs to slow down. Theres always talk about breaking so and sos record that has stood for 30 years. The same stuff was said about Nylander coming up, but all these records are being broken because the top Swedish men are playing in the KHL now and its opening spots for kids to actually play in Sweden which has only happened the last 8 years or so. Axle Holmstrom set a playoff record a few years ago and he was like a 6th rounder. Allsvenskan gets the trickle down, less top kids playing there because they can actually play in the SHL now and get playing time. So what EP did was really good, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

He was still a top 5 pick though and looks to be really good, maybe even go a little higher in a redraft possibly, but every time a team dradts a good swedish kid we see this stuff

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
The shiny new toys always win these. Kind of a pointless poll for Hfboards.

Pettersson is still a shiny new toy. :laugh:

Don't act like he has been tearing up the SHL for 5 seasons now or is playing well in the NHL. Both are prospects.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Pettersson is still a shiny new toy. :laugh:

Don't act like he has been tearing up the SHL for 5 seasons now or is playing well in the NHL. Both are prospects.
Find me one post I've made that has said Pettersson isn't a prospect or is going to be a guaranteed superstar.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Svechnikov.

Don't see Pettersons game transferring to the NHL like some are expecting.

I think a decent comparable for Pettersson's ceiling is Backstrom. Keep in mind that Backstrom was feeding Ovechkin in his prime, so we're not expecting crazy 100+ point seasons from Pettersson.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Might be an unpopular opinion but I like Svech better defensively, EP hasn’t impressed me too much with his defensive play and I don’t really understand why people call him a great two way player. He’s solid but nothing special, Svech is really good defensively and that gets overlooked because he’s Russian
Also, this is very close, ainec shouldn’t used in this thread.
Good post. I do feel like a few Russian wingers who are actually pretty good defensively don’t get the credit they deserve. In the NHL Kucherov and Panarin stand out.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Well 71% of the votes have gone to Svech. So, yea? :laugh:

You obviously didn't go to school. Is 99 vastly different from 98.99? A vote of which one is bigger would still be a 100-0 vote. 71% of the votes show the preference but does not measure the gap between the players.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
You obviously didn't go to school. Is 99 vastly different from 98.99? A vote of which one is bigger would still be a 100-0 vote. 71% of the votes show the preference but does not measure the gap between the players.
What ever helps you sleep at night, smart guy. :)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Actually it’s pretty debatable weather Svech had a better draft year than EP. It’s not at all uncommon for an OHL draft eligible player to produce like Svech in his draft year but what EP did in the Allsvenskan is unprecedented.

But that’s how it was last year too, nobody seemed to notice EP’s incredible season. That’s why he slid to 5th (and many thought that was a reach) when he never should’ve.
Its not uncommon? What the heck?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think Svechnikov is a clear tier above.
Zadina vs Pettersson would be a good debate though

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Svech is probably going to be a top 20 player in the league someday. EP will be an average 2nd liner. This isn't even close and the results agree with me.

He's surpassed every 19-year-old Swedish forward ever, there's no logic in saying he'll be a 2nd liner.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
This was linked from another poll, and I wanted to necrobump to highlight two freezing cold takes.

Svech is probably going to be a top 20 player in the league someday. EP will be an average 2nd liner. This isn't even close and the results agree with me.

Svechnikov.

Don't see Pettersons game transferring to the NHL like some are expecting.

Very rarely do you see posters proven so thoroughly wrong, so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad