Andrei Svechnikov vs. Elias Pettersson

Add one to your team

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Let Svech play out his D+1 season first. Svech has had a much better draft year
Elias plays the more important position and I was probably his biggest fan last year but this is Svech. I’m not entirely convinced EP sticks at C

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Svech is probably going to be a top 20 player in the league someday. EP will be an average 2nd liner. This isn't even close and the results agree with me.

Reactions: c4rdsh4rk

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Svechnikov. His game and play-style transfers much more directly to the NHL and even at international events on small-ice he has shown much better than Pettersson has.

I'd think Pettersson is in the discussion for the 3rd best prospect in the world behind the top 2 guys in this draft.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Svechnikov is a star prospect and has the edge but some of these responses coming from people who probably haven’t watch Pettersson play more than 5 games are pretty funny.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Let Svech play out his D+1 season first. Svech has had a much better draft year
Elias plays the more important position and I was probably his biggest fan last year but this is Svech. I’m not entirely convinced EP sticks at C

Actually it’s pretty debatable weather Svech had a better draft year than EP. It’s not at all uncommon for an OHL draft eligible player to produce like Svech in his draft year but what EP did in the Allsvenskan is unprecedented.

But that’s how it was last year too, nobody seemed to notice EP’s incredible season. That’s why he slid to 5th (and many thought that was a reach) when he never should’ve.

Ricklongisland

May 31, 2016
New York
Actually it’s pretty debatable weather Svech had a better draft year than EP. It’s not at all uncommon for an OHL draft eligible player to produce like Svech in his draft year but what EP did in the Allsvenskan is unprecedented.

But that’s how it was last year too, nobody seemed to notice EP’s incredible season. That’s why he slid to 5th (and many thought that was a reach) when he never should’ve.
Slid to 5th??? He was a riser ranked between around ten to the middle of the first. He had a great season in Allsvensken but the only knock on him was he was too skinny. He still needs to put on muscle. A kid as slender as him will get bruised very easily when he gets checked in the NHL. They don't hit a lot in Sweden so he is gonna have to adapt. Svech has the size, speed, and NA experience scouts love.

Reactions: Ookhaab

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

He didn't show well at the WJC which hurt peoples opinion of him. I was fine with him at 5, if I recall correctly I had him at 5 behind Hischier, Patrick, Vilardi and Heiskanen.

The big thing when talking about how common something is, is measuring against how many elite guys played in that league before. The big names for the Allsvenskan were Nylander, Pastrnak, and Forsberg, who were also all early birthdays. The OHL has been the biggest feeder of NHL superstars for the past 10 or so years at a minimum. So, of course there are going to be some crazy numbers there. I can't think of one player who played Allsvenkan in their draft year who has been nominated for a Hart. In the past decade, there have been 6 total nominations including 4 guys who went 1st overall (McDavid, Stamkos, Tavares, and Kane).

I get the Allsvenskan is a better league than the example I'm about to use. But, what Cale Makar did last year was also unprecedented. So, you can only go so far with commonality. With so many elite players coming from the OHL, it is going to be significantly harder to set new benchmarks. Either way, his goal production was elite, and only behind guys like Stammer, McDavid, Tavares, and Kane. Point production wise he's behind a few others like Marner, Strome, Hall, Seguin and Sam Gagner. He's probably the best goal-scoring winger to play in the CHL in awhile, and the only guys close to him who where wingers are Kane, Hall, and Marner, although he is very different stylistically than all of them (Hall is also significantly different than Marner and Kane).

Love

Feb 29, 2012
He didn't show well at the WJC which hurt peoples opinion of him. I was fine with him at 5, if I recall correctly I had him at 5 behind Hischier, Patrick, Vilardi and Heiskanen.

The big thing when talking about how common something is, is measuring against how many elite guys played in that league before. The big names for the Allsvenskan were Nylander, Pastrnak, and Forsberg, who were also all early birthdays. The OHL has been the biggest feeder of NHL superstars for the past 10 or so years at a minimum. So, of course there are going to be some crazy numbers there. I can't think of one player who played Allsvenkan in their draft year who has been nominated for a Hart. In the past decade, there have been 6 total nominations including 4 guys who went 1st overall (McDavid, Stamkos, Tavares, and Kane).

I get the Allsvenskan is a better league than the example I'm about to use. But, what Cale Makar did last year was also unprecedented. So, you can only go so far with commonality. With so many elite players coming from the OHL, it is going to be significantly harder to set new benchmarks. Either way, his goal production was elite, and only behind guys like Stammer, McDavid, Tavares, and Kane. Point production wise he's behind a few others like Marner, Strome, Hall, Seguin and Sam Gagner. He's probably the best goal-scoring winger to play in the CHL in awhile, and the only guys close to him who where wingers are Kane, Hall, and Marner, although he is very different stylistically than all of them (Hall is also significantly different than Marner and Kane).

I don’t disagree this is a good post very well said.

But my main point was just that I don’t believe it’s cut and dry and certainly don’t think Svechnikov’s draft year was “way better.” Even though we can only compare EP to guys like Pastrnak, Forsberg, Nylander, and a few others (25 year old Kopitar played in Allsvenskan, for example. Had 1.09ppg vs. EP’s .95ppg), the fact that EP vastly outproduced them was telling.

You could use Pettersson’s age as a knock against him vs. the other Allsvenskan guys and I can’t refute that. I can only say that in my opinion, debating the significance of draft year age is one of the silliest things people argue about on this site. I don’t think 6 months makes a world of difference like some people do.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Anyone who says this isn't close is clueless. Pettersson just had one of the best D+1 seasons ever (by a player outside the NHL).

Svech is probably going to be a top 20 player in the league someday. EP will be an average 2nd liner. This isn't even close and the results agree with me.
Serious question... where you able to get all the way through writing your post without laughing out loud at this nonsense?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Might be an unpopular opinion but I like Svech better defensively, EP hasn’t impressed me too much with his defensive play and I don’t really understand why people call him a great two way player. He’s solid but nothing special, Svech is really good defensively and that gets overlooked because he’s Russian
Also, this is very close, ainec shouldn’t used in this thread.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Might be an unpopular opinion but I like Svech better defensively, EP hasn’t impressed me too much with his defensive play and I don’t really understand why people call him a great two way player. He’s solid but nothing special, Svech is really good defensively and that gets overlooked because he’s Russian
Also, this is very close, ainec shouldn’t used in this thread.

I believe he's only been on the ice 15 times when a 5v5 goal was scored all season and 1 during the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad