Player Discussion Andrei Markov

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
I love that Marky memory, when he got back from his injuries, how it happened, training hard. Our conservative management might have taken PK away from us, yet we still have his role model mentor hero back again, the general.

I'd like to see a highlight reel of his passes from the left point to the right side to Kovy or Cammalleri. I'm pretty sure we could fill one with only those.

Foltronic

Jan 21, 2015
Would the general of made Team Canada in his 'prime' years? I think so, super under rated by most, skill set reminds me a lot of Lidstrom in fact. Lucky to have him.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Would the general of made Team Canada in his 'prime' years? I think so, super under rated by most, skill set reminds me a lot of Lidstrom in fact. Lucky to have him.

Absolutely, no questions about it. The General never got the chance to get the respect he truely deserved around the league. It's a shame his prime got cut short because of his multiple injuries.

The fact he's still able to play some great hockey at 38 years old really shows what type of a true world class athlete he's been.

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Absolutely, no questions about it. The General never got the chance to get the respect he truely deserved around the league. It's a shame his prime got cut short because of his multiple injuries.

The fact he's still able to play some great hockey at 38 years old really shows what type of a true world class athlete he's been.

Markov is underrated on this board. Maybe not enough fans saw him before his injuries and only remember as a 36/37/38 year old ?

Markov was just as if not more important than Price is to the team today during the Gainey era. We didn't have a Price back then, but we did have a Markov and IMHO he was the reason that team was competitive (seriously look at those rosters).

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton

If we are going by Olympics, he might make 2006 as a breakout player but might not, lots of guys would have bigger reputations than him at the time even if they weren't actually as good as him. He very likely doesn't make 2010 with Keith, Neidermeyer and Pronger on all the left side.

this has a bit to do with timing, he'd be a more viable candidate if there was a best on best tourney in 2008, or if uninjured 2012.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Andrei has been the backbone for the Habs defence in this millennium, truly would have been in consideration for the Norris Trophy(Injuries played a part in that also), had Lidstrom not been winning it every year. Roman Hamrlik was there during those injury plagued yrs. or the Habs would have had very poor seasons. Truly one of the brightest stars for the Habs in his career, many fans haven't shown him the respect due him as our veteran defenceman & leader, IMHO.:nod::nod::nod:

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Markov had a rough stretch last year but had a very solid back half and still produced like a top defenseman - he's still our #2. Looking forward to seeing him and Weber on the PP.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Markov had a rough stretch last year but had a very solid back half and still produced like a top defenseman - he's still our #2. Looking forward to seeing him and Weber on the PP.
Agreed, that being said, his TOI will have to be managed better this year...has MT learned?

There is no way that Markov should play every game, and then the playoffs...give the guy some time off during the season, and he wont be spent by the playoffs...

This is on the coach, so let's hope Santa brings a brain to MT for Xmas this year...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
When a guy is young and trying to establish himself, he's gonna take whatever minutes the coach gives him. That's pretty normal.

But Markov? Like, he should tell Therrien he can't play that much and remain effective.

I'd thinker with his minutes in the 18-22 min. range until an optimum is found.

And yes, he should totally sit when we play 2 in 2 nights, especially in February/March.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Agreed, that being said, his TOI will have to be managed better this year...has MT learned?

There is no way that Markov should play every game, and then the playoffs...give the guy some time off during the season, and he wont be spent by the playoffs...

This is on the coach, so let's hope Santa brings a brain to MT for Xmas this year...

I keep hearing that his ice time should be reduced and how stupid the coach is for not doing it, but the problem that keeps popping up is there is no one to replace his offense. It had been mainly just Subban/Markov putting up any kind of offense. Granted I had hoped his PK time would be cut down and maybe it will but the sad reality is we don't have anyone that can come close to his production aside from Weber and he's just taking Subban's slot of production.

The Habs with Price need to win games 2-1, 3-2, 3-1, so having Markov is so important, way more then he should be if we were able to draft and develop more then 2 blueliners in the past several years. Now maybe Beaulieu takes a bigger leap forward in terms of production, as it will be sorely needed and if so maybe they could cut his ice time but that seems unlikely to me as we hopefully are in the running for the top team in the East and every game those 2 pts are huge.

Although I wonder if the Habs do play well but we don't have anyone to fill in on the top 4, meaning Beaulieu, Barberio, etc... that management doesn't think they can get the job done come playoff time then they will likely be forced to trade for a top 4 and that's going to be costly. Now that they traded Subban for an older Weber, I feel like they have pushed themselves into a corner that now they have to start thinking about trading bigger assets to win now unless of course the youth steps up. It would be great to have Markov's ice reduced, and hopefully we have finally drafted his replacement in Sergachev or at least close to it but then the question is how long till he's ready, even though it sounds like sooner then later, until we see him up against NHLers it's anyone's guess.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I keep hearing that his ice time should be reduced and how stupid the coach is for not doing it, but the problem that keeps popping up is there is no one to replace his offense. It had been mainly just Subban/Markov putting up any kind of offense. Granted I had hoped his PK time would be cut down and maybe it will but the sad reality is we don't have anyone that can come close to his production aside from Weber and he's just taking Subban's slot of production.

The Habs with Price need to win games 2-1, 3-2, 3-1, so having Markov is so important, way more then he should be if we were able to draft and develop more then 2 blueliners in the past several years. Now maybe Beaulieu takes a bigger leap forward in terms of production, as it will be sorely needed and if so maybe they could cut his ice time but that seems unlikely to me as we hopefully are in the running for the top team in the East and every game those 2 pts are huge.

Although I wonder if the Habs do play well but we don't have anyone to fill in on the top 4, meaning Beaulieu, Barberio, etc... that management doesn't think they can get the job done come playoff time then they will likely be forced to trade for a top 4 and that's going to be costly. Now that they traded Subban for an older Weber, I feel like they have pushed themselves into a corner that now they have to start thinking about trading bigger assets to win now unless of course the youth steps up. It would be great to have Markov's ice reduced, and hopefully we have finally drafted his replacement in Sergachev or at least close to it but then the question is how long till he's ready, even though it sounds like sooner then later, until we see him up against NHLers it's anyone's guess.
At present, our coach does not know how to think outside the box...

Letting Markov rest on occasion, helps develop a N8, Barberio, Petry etc

Look at last year, we were all whining for more TOI at centre for Chucky, he doesn't get it, and then the little DD gets injured, a couple of games later, Chucky gets the TOI and finished the year strong with 30 goals...could he have done this before the midget's injury, sure he could, if he had been allowed to develop...

Same for the D, at some point people need to recognize how tired and run down guys like Markov and Pleks are every year come the playoffs...if the get some time off during the season, every so often, by letting others step up, you can help keep them fresh for the finish, and then the playoffs....Therrien is a dinosaur coach, who just can't see out side da box!!

If there are injuries, you have no choice but to think outside the box, so why not think that way, when it comes to better decisions to help the older guys...

Price also needs a few less starts, but that's a different case of beer...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Look at last year, we were all whining for more TOI at centre for Chucky, he doesn't get it, and then the little DD gets injured, a couple of games later, Chucky gets the TOI and finished the year strong with 30 goals...could he have done this before the midget's injury, sure he could, if he had been allowed to develop...

Same for the D, at some point people need to recognize how tired and run down guys like Markov and Pleks are every year come the playoffs...if the get some time off during the season, every so often, by letting others step up, you can help keep them fresh for the finish, and then the playoffs....Therrien is a dinosaur coach, who just can't see out side da box!!

If there are injuries, you have no choice but to think outside the box, so why not think that way, when it comes to better decisions to help the older guys...

Saying how sitting Markov helps develop Beaulieu/Barberio/Emelin (since they are LD's) but the problem is their production and overall play is so far below Markov's that it's too costly not to have him in over them.

Pleks is in a similar boat since we lacked a top line center he was forced to play in that role despite not being suited for it. Galchenyuk is getting there but it remains to be seen if he can be a 1st line center on a top team in the NHL since his defensive game in the past has needed a lot of work. I do think he'll continue to improve in just about all areas and he's going to be a beast for us, but I can understand bringing him along more slowly due to his poor defensive game and a coach that relies so heavily on defensive play.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

My question is is that what Markov wants? I know MT is the coach and the boss but I don't know if he could go up to one of his most respected vets and tell him I am sitting you because you look a bit old. I just can't imagine Markov taking "rest" days. He seems like a very competitive guy and if he is healthy he will want to play. I don't think its as easy as just telling Markov he is resting.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
My question is is that what Markov wants? I know MT is the coach and the boss but I don't know if he could go up to one of his most respected vets and tell him I am sitting you because you look a bit old. I just can't imagine Markov taking "rest" days. He seems like a very competitive guy and if he is healthy he will want to play. I don't think its as easy as just telling Markov he is resting.

I think it's as easy as just taking him off the PK. Entirely. Don't really need him for that at this point, either, really. Next step is find a LD who earns 1st pairing minutes over him and his icetime "organically" decreases further. "Rest days" would be a bit insulting to him, imo, even at "this point" in his career.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

He'd still average 20min a game, just by getting top 2-3 minutes at ES plus first wave PP.
Thats plenty.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think it's as easy as just taking him off the PK. Entirely. Don't really need him for that at this point, either, really. Next step is find a LD who earns 1st pairing minutes over him and his icetime "organically" decreases further. "Rest days" would be a bit insulting to him, imo, even at "this point" in his career.

who do you have on the PK? Emelin/Petry, Pateryn/Weber?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Agree with everything you said.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal

I remember reading somewhere last season, can't find the article but Michel was reducing his ice time or wanted him to rest for a few games and he wasn't too happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad