Player Discussion Andrei Markov

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
What do you guys think of him?

He has the lowest +/- in the team (minus 4) for someone who is supposed to be our most experienced d-man. Also he played all 7 games (with one of the highest minutes) and yet only has 2 powerplay assists...

We'll see after the playoffs if he will be worth resigning at $6mil but he's definitely one of the players that need to step up.

hogtownhabsfan*

I'd be okay with letting him walk. Beaulieu is ready.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bad Markov is still better than most #4s in the league. His first pass, underrated "angry" game, underrated physicality, and general savvy are not easy to replace.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We can't let him walk for nothing. Hopefully he's cool with signing for two years. If he demands three I guess we have to do it. Four years would suck.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I like Markov and despite his drawbacks I think he's still doing a decent job back there.

That being said, I'd be fine with him walking. It would really depend on how much he wants. I don't want him costing us Vanek. I don't think he'd be willing to take a cut in salary but that's about the only way I'd keep him.

I'll go one step further and have people really be ticked but I'd keep Weaver AND Murray over him. I'd take a chance with Weaver on the 2nd pairing at the beginning of next year until one of Tinordi or Beaulieu can step up and take it. Murray would essentially be a 7th/8th D man

If Galchenyuk could somehow play the point on the PP that would really help.

It would be a dicey move but could pay off in terms of saving money. Again if he wants to take a significant pay cut and/or a shorter term then fine but I think we could survive without him.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
1 or 2 years tops. Wouldn't touch a 3 year deal.

That being said, we'd be hard pressed to find a better top 4 defenseman through free agency. Just avoid playing him 25-26 minutes per game during the regular season and maybe he won't be so burnt come playoffs?

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Walking?!

Hell no.

Signed to a two year deal at ~5m?

Hell yes.

He is still really good and would be missed dearly.

Let Beaulieu and Tinordi take Murray and Bouillion's spots.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I don't see the point in forcing the issue. If he wants big money and threatens to walk, let him walk. Otherwise, I'd be fine with a 3 year deal.

habscup*

Is this thread a joke? Has the most minutes on the habs, and habs have lost only one game. He plays 27 minutes a game, must be doing something right? You people just love stats instead of watching games.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
We can have two out of Markov, Subban and Vanek.
Thing is that Vanek will probably get more than 50M for 7 years as a UFA.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Is this thread a joke? Has the most minutes on the habs, and habs have lost only one game. He plays 27 minutes a game, must be doing something right? You people just love stats instead of watching games.
This is telling us that Markov still have most 5-5 minutes.
Actually if you add the Bouillon-Subban time, PK has played one second more than Markov...

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

He has the lowest +/- in the team (minus 4) for someone who is supposed to be our most experienced d-man. Also he played all 7 games (with one of the highest minutes) and yet only has 2 powerplay assists...

We'll see after the playoffs if he will be worth resigning at $6mil but he's definitely one of the players that need to step up.

If he walks imagine our pro scouts will find another good replacement. They snuffed out Weaver, who was a steal

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
He's been a little bit shakier lately than we'd like, but he's still a good #2 overall. I won't get too worried about just a few games. The whole season picture has been very bright for Markov overall.

I still assume a 3-year deal for him at roughly the same $$$ he currently makes is essentially a slam dunk.

Halifaxhab*

He's been a little bit shakier lately than we'd like, but he's still a good #2 overall. I won't get too worried about just a few games. The whole season picture has been very bright for Markov overall.

I still assume a 3-year deal for him at roughly the same $$$ he currently makes is essentially a slam dunk.

He is a little slower, but his vision is great. I agree that his current pay is a good one, but I would hold at 2 yrs.

I wouldn't want to start next year with 3 rookies in our lineup (Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn), so keeping Markov is a big push.

And yes, I do feel Pateryn has proven enough to get a shot at a roster spot.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
We can have two out of Markov, Subban and Vanek.
Thing is that Vanek will probably get more than 50M for 7 years as a UFA.

We can have all 3, just may have to move out somebody else(Gionta Briere Bourque) to make room.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

I find he's played a lot better than his stats. He's been matched up against top lines and has done a good job of playing mistake free and moving the puck. He's also played more physical.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If he walks it likely means we keep Vanek. At 36, Markov will never be as good or very soon will never be as good as he is right now. Our pro-scouting is pretty good at finding d-men to replace him. So it will work out for the best for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad