Rumor: Andrei Markov wants to return to the NHL next season, preferably with the Canadiens

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
PTO to NJ to rejoin his old friend? See if their PP magic can be reignited?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
This was reported a while ago. With all due respect, we don't have room for you anymore Andrei. So thanks but no thanks.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
PTO to NJ to rejoin his old friend? See if their PP magic can be reignited?

Devils start preseason with a split squad game in Montreal too.

While I don't think we'd have a permanent roster spot for Markov since we might be carrying 8D as is with Ty Smith. Markov is 10 games short of 1,000 and the Devils play game 19 of the season at Montreal. Definitely a long shot, but it is kinda fun to imagine that possibility plus it might not be the worst idea to have another Russian NHL veteran on the team as a mentor for Gusev.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Devils start preseason with a split squad game in Montreal too.

While I don't think we'd have a permanent roster spot for Markov since we might be carrying 8D as is with Ty Smith. Markov is 10 games short of 1,000 and the Devils play game 19 of the season at Montreal. Definitely a long shot, but it is kinda fun to imagine that possibility plus it might not be the worst idea to have another Russian NHL veteran on the team as a mentor for Gusev.
How is Gusev's english? He may need a translator moreso than a mentor per se? Markov gave some respectable answers in that interview. Even if he doesn't have enough left to play in the league you can't exactly go wrong with a PTO, right? Devils could PTO him on D and see if there's anything there. If he's not too stubborn to take an arrangement like that with another team anyway. He should have just signed with another team after Montreal turned him down 2 years ago, really.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
My favourite Hab and I would love to see a succesful return for one more go. Was great with both Subban and Weber. His hockey IQ is off the charts but the league is faster than ever and he has been away for two years.

Reactions: Jpageman

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How is Gusev's english? He may need a translator moreso than a mentor per se? Markov gave some respectable answers in that interview. Even if he doesn't have enough left to play in the league you can't exactly go wrong with a PTO, right? Devils could PTO him on D and see if there's anything there. If he's not too stubborn to take an arrangement like that with another team anyway. He should have just signed with another team after Montreal turned him down 2 years ago, really.

I briefly watched this YouTube video of a media scrum Gusev did when he showed up in Vegas for their playoff run. He used the translator for the most part, but it seemed like he understood some of the questions but wasn't comfortable answering in English.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sounds like Gusev will be fine. Maybe more a "guide" than a translator or mentor... just somebody to help show him around... and Markov won't know the area any better than he does. Next... :oops:

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
No Problem: 1m$ + performance and 3rd pair def... and will play on PP

Mete Weber
Chiarot Petry
Markov Kulak
Reilly Folin

The choice is Reilly or Markov? I would prefer Markov
i would prefer Markov to Kulak and Folin

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Like I been saying for a while. The Habs had almost the worse in the league power play last season what have they got to lose? Cap space! They gonna burn 3 million of it with Alzner sitting in Laval all year. And still have six or eight in cap space left. 2 million one year, play that 1000th game, have a big party and reduce his minutes to the power play. End of the year or sooner he retire, and become the power play coach.

The big problem with this plan is we can't afford to have a left handed PP QB from a minutes perspective. The left side is already our weak side, if Markov is only playing 12 minutes of soft offensive starts and PP then that leaves almost 50 minutes to split between Mete and Chiarot.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
He really should have just signed a cheap 1 year deal back when, with Montreal and Ak Bars Kazan knowing he'd just be playing 10 games before retiring. As it stands, he's 6th all-time for games-played as a Canadien.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Markov missed 13 games and had 14 points in the KHL. Less then half he had year before at 33 points. KHL, less then glorified AHL league.

Markov is done. I'm not in favor of giving out contracts like participation ribbons. Or sentimental reasons.

If scrounging dumpsters for defenseman is the goal, there are better, younger players in the KHL like Paul Postma, Patrick Hersley, Philip Larsen and a few others who would fill that precious number 7 position.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
this reminds me of how the Sergei Gonchar situation played out right before he become one of the Penguins coaches
Gonchar is far better in the teacher's role imo. Markov was never really outgoing or going out of his way to help young players. He kinda juste did his thing and wouldn't speak much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad