Player Discussion Andreas Martinsen

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Martinsen is from my part of the world, so I might be a bit biased - so take this with a grain of salt.

From what I've gleaned from possession stats, he is pretty much a neutral player, in that he doens't really have an impact either way - and that's a good thing for an NHL 4th liner (but not great). He is fast, physical and has a decent to good shot, but limited hockey IQ in the offensive zone. He is good at rebounds and such though, so if the team can have sustained time in the offensive zone, he can wreck havoc in the crease.

His defensive game is pretty good though, but maybe not that great at carrying the puck to safety, so don't expect him to carry the puck out and create that much.

I feel that his success, or lack off, will be determined pretty much by the quality of his line mates - maybe more so than other players.

On the pluss side, he has a lot of international experience, having played pretty much all the world championships since 2010, and had decent offensive numbers while playing in the German league (0.82 points/game, #16 in points overall).

From what I've heard from people more involved with local hockey, he's a really great guy too, who used to show up to every practice they'd let him, and even practiced with almost all the beer league teams just to have more ice time.

Wow! What an awesome detailed analysis amigo. This was a great read that helps me know him much much better. Thanks.

If he could score even twenty points in a season, it would be huge. Under a coach like Julien, he just might be able to achieve that. In any case it seems like his frame and willingness to take the body will add some needed grit.

Ahhhhh, this is the important issue- is he teachable? Can he go further than what he is able to do at present? To play on the fourth line, expectations are less but it still is nice to be able to have a chance to score a few goals in addition to hitting a few people.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
Ahhhhh, this is the important issue- is he teachable? Can he go further than what he is able to do at present? To play on the fourth line, expectations are less but it still is nice to be able to have a chance to score a few goals in addition to hitting a few people.

Like I said in this previous post, I think that largely depend on his line mates. If he's only gonna play with Ott and King etc, I wouldn't expect much in the point department. If he plays on a more offensive line though, I'd expect him to produce accordingly. His shooting percentage is pretty meh so far this season (only 5,5%) - but it's not like his line mates in Colorado enabled him to produce either, so that might increase again too.

A reasonable number to expect from him on a third or fourth line of some quality would be 10-15 goals and maybe 20-30 points over a whole season. CJ likes/liked(?) to have a big body in front of the goalie on the PP too, and he got both the size and the strength to do well there - so that could also lead to more points.

budro16

Jan 24, 2016
Like I said in this previous post, I think that largely depend on his line mates. If he's only gonna play with Ott and King etc, I wouldn't expect much in the point department. If he plays on a more offensive line though, I'd expect him to produce accordingly. His shooting percentage is pretty meh so far this season (only 5,5%) - but it's not like his line mates in Colorado enabled him to produce either, so that might increase again too.

A reasonable number to expect from him on a third or fourth line of some quality would be 10-15 goals and maybe 20-30 points over a whole season. CJ likes/liked(?) to have a big body in front of the goalie on the PP too, and he got both the size and the strength to do well there - so that could also lead to more points.

Based on the one play where he carried the puck the entire length of the ice while holding off a defender and then making a great pass to Ott, I want to see this guy playing alongside Chucky and not King. I like King, but i don't think he has nearly as much upside as this Norwegian wrecking ball! he can also skate!! Not saying he's going to put up 40-50 points, but I think he could be much more lethal than King.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Based on the one play where he carried the puck the entire length of the ice while holding off a defender and then making a great pass to Ott, I want to see this guy playing alongside Chucky and not King. I like King, but i don't think he has nearly as much upside as this Norwegian wrecking ball! he can also skate!! Not saying he's going to put up 40-50 points, but I think he could be much more lethal than King.
Ok don't get carried away now. He shouldn't be on the second line.

budro16

Jan 24, 2016
Ok don't get carried away now. He shouldn't be on the second line.

I never said he should be... but should King? I'm saying I personally think he can show more offensive flash than King and should be the one given the shot. You clearly disagree, which is fine. But read my post for what it was, don't just assume things my friend! :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo

Has he ever played on the PP in Colorado? Honestly, I can't imagine he would get PP time here, and we are not even that good on the PP. Although maybe we would do better if he were on it. :laugh:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Pressured a defenceman last night, forcing a puck over the glass and a powerplay for the Habs.

No Corsi for that.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
Pressured a defenceman last night, forcing a puck over the glass and a powerplay for the Habs.

No Corsi for that.

Well, it does. If the other team loses possession, they won't get a shot off, and thats all what corsi really is. Shot attempts for/against while the player is on the ice. But like all other stats, it's contextual, and it's only really useful with a large sample size when you evaluate players.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well, it does. If the other team loses possession, they won't get a shot off, and thats all what corsi really is. Shot attempts for/against while the player is on the ice. But like all other stats, it's contextual, and it's only really useful with a large sample size when you evaluate players.

But the play stops as soon as the puck is shot over the glass and it doesn't take into account the man advantage afterwards in which Martinsen doesn't see a second of play.

Night owl

Jan 10, 2011
Norwegian mountains

No Corsi for that.

That's true and if the majority of AVS fan knew a little bit more about hockey, they wouldn't have blamed Martinsen, a solid 4.th liner with solid +/- stat and 750k a year for they poor play, they would have looked at their top line to find the reason for their poor performance. Anyway, It looks like the Habs fan know more about hockey. :handclap:

anofsti

May 14, 2011
But the play stops as soon as the puck is shot over the glass and it doesn't take into account the man advantage afterwards in which Martinsen doesn't see a second of play.

Like I said, contextual. But him forcing the puck out of play prevented any more shots attempts again on that shift, and that's a "good thing" for his, and his lines, shot attempt metrics.

But it's the same with a player who gives up the puck on offense, but gets to the bench before the other team gets a shot off. The point with shot attempt stats is that the amount of data is a lot more than just goals (+/-), or regular shots on goal. That is what makes it useful. How often does that player play in the offensive zone compared to the defensive one.

Take for example Shaw. He's been on ice for a total of 44 goals (24/20). Two fluke goals one way would make a 5% difference.

Shots on goal is a total of 643 (332/311). Two flukes here would be a difference in 0,3% - while shot attempts is a staggering 1236 (676/560). The two flukes here would amount in only make a 0,14% difference. But you still have to factor in usage, team mates and actually watch the game to evaluate a player.

The Price is Right

Jul 3, 2008
I don't understand why King is playing instead of Martinsen... Martinsen showed more than King since they both came to the team.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Martinsen is from my part of the world, so I might be a bit biased - so take this with a grain of salt.

From what I've gleaned from possession stats, he is pretty much a neutral player, in that he doens't really have an impact either way - and that's a good thing for an NHL 4th liner (but not great). He is fast, physical and has a decent to good shot, but limited hockey IQ in the offensive zone. He is good at rebounds and such though, so if the team can have sustained time in the offensive zone, he can wreck havoc in the crease.

His defensive game is pretty good though, but maybe not that great at carrying the puck to safety, so don't expect him to carry the puck out and create that much.

I feel that his success, or lack off, will be determined pretty much by the quality of his line mates - maybe more so than other players.

On the pluss side, he has a lot of international experience, having played pretty much all the world championships since 2010, and had decent offensive numbers while playing in the German league (0.82 points/game, #16 in points overall).

From what I've heard from people more involved with local hockey, he's a really great guy too, who used to show up to every practice they'd let him, and even practiced with almost all the beer league teams just to have more ice time.

Glad to have Martinson playing for the Habs, the importance of having great role players on a team, whose intent is winning the SCC,can 't be underestimated. Norway & Andreas will have the Stanley Cup visiting this summer, thanks to his contributions, IMHO!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Jul 6, 2016
Time to get Martinsen back in the line up.

King is the one who should sit out. Maybe it will re- kick start him. He is probably deep frozen after having spent so many years in L.A.:sarcasm:

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo

King is the one who should sit out. Maybe it will re- kick start him. He is probably deep frozen after having spent so many years in L.A.:sarcasm:

I'm not so sure about this. King played better and is a large body. I would like both to be playing. One brother said to bench Pleks for Mitchell, which could allow for both King and Martinsen to play. But I doubt our 4th line would score a goal. Lol

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

King shouldn't sit because he actually played his best game as a Hab last night in Ottawa. That could be the game he gets his groove back. It's not the time to sit him now.

I know Martinsen and King both shoot left, but I wonder if either of them can play on the right. Wouldn't mind a line of King - Ott - Martinsen.

No, time for Plekanec to sit so Mitchell can take his spot and Martinsen can play.

I wouldn't mind Pleky sitting, though we know Julien relies on him so he won't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad