Confirmed with Link: Andreas Martinsen signed by Avs

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You know what the biggest indicator is that he's NHL ready? The fact that he has a contract. Roy WILL see what he looks like at the NHL level at some point. Might be just a game, who knows. But that fact pretty much is moot at this point, the ship sailed, the contract is done, the decision has been made. Someone somewhere thinks he has shown enough in some regard to put in the time, effort and money to bring him across the ocean. That's not the discount the opinion of those who know him well, hell I watched two of his WC games myself as I'm sure a few others have. But this isn't some draft pick where we can debate if he will see the NHL ever in his life or not, this is different.

I don't know whether he'll see a game in the NHL or not, but I don't think him getting a contract that's likely two way necessarily means he's NHL ready. I think it means they think he's capable of being a pro in NA hockey, and worth a look at potentially being a bottom six NHLer.

After all, Roy's original plan with Everberg and Rendulic was for them to play one or even two full seasons in the AHL before getting a look in the NHL. Now that both seem like capable NHLer's, there's more bodies to hurdle on the depth chart for Martinsen than there was for Everberg and Rendulic, and chances are there won't be (knock on wood) as many injuries in the bottom six/depth roles for the Avs next year.

I think this is more of a depth move than an NHL move, but that doesn't mean Martinsen can't turn into a capable NHLer.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
You know what the biggest indicator is that he's NHL ready? The fact that he has a contract. Roy WILL see what he looks like at the NHL level at some point. Might be just a game, who knows. But that fact pretty much is moot at this point, the ship sailed, the contract is done, the decision has been made. Someone somewhere thinks he has shown enough in some regard to put in the time, effort and money to bring him across the ocean. That's not the discount the opinion of those who know him well, hell I watched two of his WC games myself as I'm sure a few others have. But this isn't some draft pick where we can debate if he will see the NHL ever in his life or not, this is different.

We've seen plenty of players get signed to NHL contracts that are not NHL ready or NHL players. Just because someone thinks he is, doesn't mean they won't change their mind after they see him play in camp or the AHL. It just means they're convinced he's worth a shot on the 50-man limit as opposed to other players. Only ~1500 players in the world are ever signed in the NHL at the same time.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well sure not NHL ready on the sense he can be a regular in the league, just get a look in the NHL is what I mean. Dean wasn't even recommending Rendulic get a look and Roy called him up anyway. They signed Martinsen, they'll want to see him on real action eventually. But we'll see, there really isn't much more to say about this.

I dont even get what or why we are debating here. Is it that outrageous to think it's way more likely than not that he gets in a NHL game?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well sure not NHL ready on the sense he can be a regular in the league, just get a look in the NHL is what I mean. Dean wasn't even recommending Rendulic get a look and Roy called him up anyway. They signed Martinsen, they'll want to see him on real action eventually. But we'll see, there really isn't much more to say about this.

I dont even get what or why we are debating here. Is it that outrageous to think it's way more likely than not that he gets in a NHL game?

I wouldn't characterize someone's opinion as outrageous, but personally I think i'd disagree about the "way more likely" part.

To your point though, I think it's a bit more off base that there's no chance he'll see a game. There's easily a chance, even if he has no skills at all. Especially with the guys that have seen games for the Avs the last few years. For what Roy is looking for, it depends much more on his ability to skate at an NHL pace, forecheck hard, crash the net, and play sound defensively.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's a low risk signing. If he's a long shot to do anything in the NHL he's taking a contract spot that would have been used for a player that's a long shot to do anything in the NHL.

With how Everberg looked last year, Avs can continue to gamble on players as far as I am concerned.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
See how he does in camp and if nothing else he'll hang with the Rampage for a year. If he does well, give him another contract and another shot at the camp. If he does okay next season and we get a lot of injuries, give him a shot on the 4th line. I won't lose sleep over how this thing works.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Six foot Three inches people!

On a side note, wouldn't it be amazing if Roy came out to make the Avs 1st round pick wearing a Queen's crown? He should announce all signings like this wearing one too.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'm really glad we can talk about this rather then complain that the Avs aren't sparing a look towards Europe. Even if Martinsen doesn't work out I hope for more of these signings every season.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm really glad we can talk about this rather then complain that the Avs aren't sparing a look towards Europe. Even if Martinsen doesn't work out I hope for more of these signings every season.

Exactly, because as Everberg shows, you never know how someone will adapt to NA style of play. I am with you, I hope we see them taking more chances like this, when they're able to.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm not counting on Martinsen to be amazing or anything but I do expect him to be a much better fit on NA ice than in Germany.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'm not counting on Martinsen to be amazing or anything but I do expect him to be a much better fit on NA ice than in Germany.

I think he'll show a lot of good things in the AHL. He'll be a feature on the top 2 lines and have a chance to really drive that line possession wise. Trying to think of who he would play with is a bit hard considering how fluid the lines were in Lake Erie.

Rendulic-Aggz-Martinsen?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think he'll show a lot of good things in the AHL. He'll be a feature on the top 2 lines and have a chance to really drive that line possession wise. Trying to think of who he would play with is a bit hard considering how fluid the lines were in Lake Erie.

Rendulic-Aggz-Martinsen?

I imagine he will get about the same treatment that Rendulic got, which is more like 2-3 line. This is Dean we are talking about, he goes with the guys he trusts. You are right that the lines get jumbled enough that everyone plays like everyone but some definite trends have emerged. Assuming a few guys that are back that really should be back, it will probably look like this:

Agozzino-Street-Petryk
Hishon-Smith-Hamilton
Martinsen-Henley-Rendulic
Bourke-Cheek-Ryan

Petryk really made that Agz line click, if he's back he's going right back on that line, Dean loved it. Dean likes to put all the beef one one line a lot of the time, I think that's where Martinsen is destined. He doesn't like leaving all the smaller skilled guys like that second line together for long but it often starts like that.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
I imagine he will get about the same treatment that Rendulic got, which is more like 2-3 line. This is Dean we are talking about, he goes with the guys he trusts. You are right that the lines get jumbled enough that everyone plays like everyone but some definite trends have emerged. Assuming a few guys that are back that really should be back, it will probably look like this:

Agozzino-Street-Petryk
Hishon-Smith-Hamilton
Martinsen-Henley-Rendulic
Bourke-Cheek-Ryan

Petryk really made that Agz line click, if he's back he's going right back on that line, Dean loved it. Dean likes to put all the beef one one line a lot of the time, I think that's where Martinsen is destined. He doesn't like leaving all the smaller skilled guys like that second line together for long but it often starts like that.

A Martinsen-Henley-Rendulic line could be awesome to watch

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I always like player from outside the Big 7 getting attention and it seems like Norway is producing more talent.

Not sure if that is the case, but hopefully scouts and teams are a bit more aware of Norwegian players now than they used to be.

I wouldn't say the NHL have missed out on any Norwegian superstars, but there have been quite a few players over the last 15-20 years that I think would have been playing in the NHL if they had been from for example Sweden.

Hopefully, if Martinsen is able to establish himself, it can lead to more players coming over. Having a handful players like Denmark in the NHL would hopefully help recruitment and investment in Norway (hardly any rinks and most are terribly worn down).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad