TSN: Andreas Johnsson declined offer

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
other team offers 3-4 yr $4M per offer sheet costing only a 2020 2nd. AFAIK 3 yrs on Johnsson gets him to UFA

Are we going to spend pages and pages ridiculing that GM for an overpayment that matches/ exceeds that which Nylander/Matthews got in real dollars and absolutely dwarfs them in terms of percentage?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Dzingel got 2 x 1.8m in the summer of 2017.... he had just turned 25 and had posted 14g and 32pts in his first full season.

Johnsson posted 20g and 43pts and he will turn 25 about a third of the way thru next season... the cap will be about 8-10mil higher next season than it was when Dzingel signed, and Johnsson had a better first season. Based on cap inflation, Dzingel would have gotten around 2.0 mil if he was signing this season.

All that said, I think 2 yrs at somewhere between 2.25-2.5mil makes sense for Johnsson. I believe that would take him to UFA so maybe the Leafs do something a bit longer. I think something longer term below 3.5m could make sense, Johnsson is a good player.

Reactions: Kurtz

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
More likely you’re trading Nylander to afford overpaying Marner and still being able to employ NHL players for the rest of your roster.
Ah ok, that makes more sense....although i'm not sure this Johnsson news is the tipping point.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Dzingel got 2 x 1.8m in the summer of 2017.... he had just turned 25 and had posted 14g and 32pts in his first full season.

Johnsson posted 20g and 43pts and he will turn 25 about a third of the way thru next season... the cap will be about 8-10mil higher next season than it was when Dzingel signed, and Johnsson had a better first season. Based on cap inflation, Dzingel would have gotten around 2.0 mil if he was signing this season.

All that said, I think 2 yrs at somewhere between 2.25-2.5mil makes sense for Johnsson. I believe that would take him to UFA so maybe the Leafs do something a bit longer. I think something longer term below 3.5m could make sense, Johnsson is a good player.

probably true, but I think the vultures are swirling and he'll take more if he can get it. Will be on the Leafs to convince him.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Always been a fan of Johnsson going back to his Marlie days. Would prefer to keep him on the roster. But he is replaceable. Hope things work out though.

Reactions: CreeksideStrangler

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
He will get the Dubas special !

All the Leaf agents must be salivating at the opportunity to negotiate with Dubas considering what Nylander and Mathews did to him.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ah ok, that makes more sense....although i'm not sure this Johnsson news is the tipping point.

It’s more newsworthy because Dubas has set a precedence of the organization having control in an RFA negotiation. Now the players are empowered to say, why not get full UFA value when X, Y and Z players before me all got full UFA value in an RFA contract.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Players now know they have the power. RFAs may as well be UFAs when it comes to getting the dollar amount.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As a UFA perhaps. As an RFA with a limited track record his comparables indicate he'll come in closer to 2.5M.

That didn’t stop Nylander from getting 7 or Matthews from getting 10.6

Reactions: ivanlwan

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Will probably cost Nylander money or slightly less. Imagine him being traded for something like a 2nd at the draft.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
all i know is that the 29 GMs are dumb as **** if they allow toronto to get Johnsson at under 3 mil.

Every team capable, should throw an offer sheet at him around 3.5-4 mil.
Is that smart for those teams futures? I mean the Leafs have a lot of cash...and long memories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad