TSN: Andreas Johnsson declined offer

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The whole situation is pretty tough for the Leafs. Kadri, Zaitsev, Kapanen, Johansen, Gardiner. 3 of those guys have to go for the Leafs to improve the defender and sign a roster for next seadon

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
So say Johnsson is looking for 3 million + that means Kapanen will not accept less than 3 million as well.

So Leafs are looking at 16 to 17.5 million for Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson and they have what... 2.35$ cap space?

Add to that the fact that if they want to get rid of Zaitsev then will have to eat a chunk of his salary and this is shaping up to be a nightmare for Dubas and the leafs.

It's looking like Leafs will lose three of Kapanen, Johnsson, Gardiner, Marner.

Or Kadri, Zaitzev and one the above just to make room for Marner and possibly a defender.

Hopefully their prospects come in and perform because they will look very different next season!

Go Raptors!

They have 8.79 M in cap space and have 17 players signed including Horton. Horton on IR so that's another 5.25 M. About 14 M to sign Marner, AJ, Kapanen and four other players to fill out the roster. They need to clear around 7 to 8 M of salary if they want all 3 of those to resign and fill out the roster

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
The whole situation is pretty tough for the Leafs. Kadri, Zaitsev, Kapanen, Johansen, Gardiner. 3 of those guys have to go for the Leafs to improve the defender and sign a roster for next seadon

I would get rid of Hyman and Brown 4.3 M combined and replace those two with two 0.750 M dollar player. That saves 2.8 M

Trade one of Kapanen or AJ

Trade Zaitsev

I would keep Kadri. He is more valuable than the others you listed.

That should be enough to sign Marner at 10 M, 3 M for Kapanen or AJ, 4 M for a D and fill out the remaining roster with players making less than 1 M..

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
So say Johnsson is looking for 3 million + that means Kapanen will not accept less than 3 million as well.

So Leafs are looking at 16 to 17.5 million for Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson and they have what... 2.35$ cap space?

Add to that the fact that if they want to get rid of Zaitsev then will have to eat a chunk of his salary and this is shaping up to be a nightmare for Dubas and the leafs.

Or Kadri, Zaitzev and one the above just to make room for Marner and possibly a defender.

Hopefully their prospects come in and perform because they will look very different next season!

Go Raptors!

UFA Gardiner is gone.

If you're scheduled for 6+ million per season on the open market, you're officially out of Toronto's current price range.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Johnsson and kap put up low 40 points playing with matthews. I can understand not wanting to sign a 4 year deal but they need to be realistic too.

I think if leafs can clear up zaitsev and brown it will help but there isnt a lot else they can move. Possibly trading kadri for a defenseman with same cap and shifting nylander to center with 2 ahl guys. What could possibly go wrong there

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Johnsson literally has 82 career NHL games. Any team would be foolish to pay him anywhere near 4 mil

Zaitsev played 82 games 2016-2017, then on May 2nd 2017 signed a 7 year deal for 31.5 million with average AAV of 4.5 million per year ......based off 82 career NHL games. Was it foolish? Yes, clearly the Leafs made a mistake......but teams do foolish things at times is my point. Will someone make a foolish move with Johnsson? Not sure, I hope not but it's certainly possible.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

Go Raptors!
I would suggest googling “capfriendly” so you can make an intelligent post. This one is uninformed.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I would get rid of Hyman and Brown 4.3 M combined and replace those two with two 0.750 M dollar player. That saves 2.8 M

Trade one of Kapanen or AJ

Trade Zaitsev

I would keep Kadri. He is more valuable than the others you listed.

That should be enough to sign Marner at 10 M, 3 M for Kapanen or AJ, 4 M for a D and fill out the remaining roster with players making less than 1 M..
Both AJ and Kapanen would be let go before the Leafs entertained moving Hyman.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Johnsson and kap put up low 40 points playing with matthews. I can understand not wanting to sign a 4 year deal but they need to be realistic too.

I think if leafs can clear up zaitsev and brown it will help but there isnt a lot else they can move. Possibly trading kadri for a defenseman with same cap and shifting nylander to center with 2 ahl guys. What could possibly go wrong there

They missed some games, they are 20+ goal mid 40 point players, one of them being used as a second liner, they are low end second liners high end third liners, they will be asking for and deserving more then 2 million, there usage and production will put them more around 3+ million. Three being the low end.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
They have 8.79 M in cap space and have 17 players signed including Horton. Horton on IR so that's another 5.25 M. About 14 M to sign Marner, AJ, Kapanen and four other players to fill out the roster. They need to clear around 7 to 8 M of salary if they want all 3 of those to resign and fill out the roster

Yes, but then they have to re-sign the following players in the next 3 years: Muzzin, Andersen, Rielly and Kadri

Marleau is the only significant player coming off the books. Hyman + Brown can give an additional 4.5m cap space combined. Surely their raises will be greater than 10m. I'm assuming the cap rises will be going towards depth roster players.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Yes, but then they have to re-sign the following players in the next 3 years: Muzzin, Andersen, Rielly and Kadri

Marleau is the only significant player coming off the books. Hyman + Brown can give an additional 4.5m cap space combined. Surely their raises will be greater than 10m. I'm assuming the cap rises will be going towards depth roster players.

Then we have another thread and talk about it when the time comes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad