TSN: Andreas Johnsson declined offer

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Why would an arbitration eligible RFA sign a market rate deal coming off his hottest streak of the season? He went on to produce a single point the next month IIRC.

It makes no sense for him not to wait it out until July and see if there's any offer sheets at 3+. If/when there aren't, he's going to sign something that looks very similar to those 2 deals. No sense in not exploring all your options.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Leafs fans:
These guys will take a Brown contract, easy.

Me, an academic:
There's no ****ing chance these guys leave money on the table.
I'm not sure who you saw post that, but how is that representative of Leafs fans opinions? Maybe one person said that and you decided that was now an opinion held by the whole fanbase?

Doesn't sound like the logic used by an academic, IMO.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Likely options are: either pay him the 3-4M (I'm sure some team is willing to go there) or trade him for slightly more than a 2nd rounder (2nd+low pick/prospect)

if this is an accurate report anyways

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Leafs fans:
These guys will take a Brown contract, easy.

Me, an academic:
There's no ****ing chance these guys leave money on the table.
When i comes to guys like Johnsson/Kap? They have the right to demand top dollar....they will earn it elsewhere.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I’ve heard hockey guys are thinking 3-3.5 million per year.....just general chat though. Looks like it could be close to what he gets, especially if a offer sheet is involved

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
2 years at 2.5-3m/y seems like a perfect contract for Johnsson. Gives himself a chance to prove he’s worth the big bucks without sacrificing too much in the short run

other team offers 3-4 yr $4M per offer sheet costing only a 2020 2nd. AFAIK 3 yrs on Johnsson gets him to UFA

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
How did you come to this conclusion from the OP?

RFA compensation states <4M = 2nd rounder as compensation. I believe there are teams that will easily pull the trigger on that, and that he is more likely to sign a sheet than to take a ≥25% pay cut (especially if he's already turned down some offers)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dubas wasn't talking about Andreas Johnsson when he said that. :help: :biglaugh:

There’s already no money left for Marner. Now guys like Johnsson and Kapanen have no reason to sign for less when they can make more. This is going to have an effect on either A) your ability to keep your big 4, or B) your ability to have any quality depth.

If you end up trading Nylander this summer it’s because of situations like this one with Johnsson.

Dubas f***ed himself with Nylander and Matthews’ contracts.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’ve heard hockey guys are thinking 3-3.5 million per year.....just general chat though. Looks like it could be close to what he gets, especially if a offer sheet is involved

Based on some of the other contracts Dubas has given out, Johnsson should be asking for 4.5 and settling between 3.5-4 at the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad