Confirmed with Link: Andreas Johnson & Travis Dermott Sent To Marlies For The Remainder Of The Season

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I have actually been wondering if they are going for an ECHL team in the GTA. They have seen enough players in the last while to start one up.

I know the Leafs have wanted to make the ECHL a more prodominant step of the development process, but the competition has to be there for it to work, and other teams are going to have to get on board with the same idea and start paying attention to it.

Otherwise you put better prospects there and give them better resources which leads them to just stomping a league that wasn't built for that year after year.

The Habs are affiliated with the Brampton Beast. I think that's the only ECHL team in Canada, but I found it interesting that the Leafs didn't take that opportunity right in their backyard.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
How would you say he looked in the last couple months of the regular season though?

In my opinion, he has been struggling since Christmas. After Christmas, he has not skated in the same way as he used to do. Usually he is skating and creating good scoring chances, because of his lazy effort on the ice, he has not created many chances by himself lately. Therefore, he is not shooting the puck as much as before Christmas which is his biggest strength. You also have to keep in mind that he has been playing with Johan Sundström during this time. And Johan has been fantastic...

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
In my opinion, he has been struggling since Christmas. After Christmas, he has not skated in the same way as he used to do. Usually he is skating and creating good scoring chances, because of his lazy effort on the ice, he has not created many chances by himself lately. Therefore, he is not shooting the puck as much as before Christmas which is his biggest strength. You also have to keep in mind that he has been playing with Johan Sundström during this time. And Johan has been fantastic...

You think he started having problems with his asthma again? or maybe playing through an injury?

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Great pic of Johnson...

88.-andreas-johnson_960.0.0.jpg

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
^^ Awesome pic

What happened to him in the playoffs? He just dropped off, was he playing hurt?

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
You think he started having problems with his asthma again? or maybe playing through an injury?

Definitely no injury. Frölundas squad is very deep, they would have played someone else if that was the case. And the Swedish media have not reported about any new asthma issues.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG

I seem to remember Johnson and Lash having great chemistry but Lehkonen was certainly a better fit playing with Lash in the POs. You think Johnsons slump had anything to do with Sundström line finding more minutes against the opposing top lines?
The only observations I've found of Johnson is that he seem to lack a bit of grit and can't find his spot infront of the net. But he was certainly not the only one among Frölunda players who struggled producing points in the POs (Figren). Hope he figures it out.
Maybe Lehkonens success put a dent in his confidence? They seemed to coincide..

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
I seem to remember Johnson and Lash having great chemistry but Lehkonen was certainly a better fit playing with Lash in the POs. You think Johnsons slump had anything to do with Sundström line finding more minutes against the opposing top lines?
The only observations I've found of Johnson is that he seem to lack a bit of grit and can't find his spot infront of the net. But he was certainly not the only one among Frölunda players who struggled producing points in the POs (Figren). Hope he figures it out.
Maybe Lehkonens success put a dent in his confidence? They seemed to coincide..

Well, I'm not sure about the chemistry between Johnson and Lasch, since they have not been playing together this season - only in the PP. Johnson had good chemistry with Spencer Abbott, and he got injured - that might be one of the reasons why Johnsons production decreased.

You also have to keep in mind that Johnson has scored most points (24) in the PP in the whole SHL this season. He is finding all the loose pucks, and taking all the rebounds. When Joel Lundqvist and Spencer Abbott got injured, Frölundas PP lost the edge. This might also be one of the reasons why Johnson scored less points.

However, Johnson is a goalscorer. He NEEDS a good playmaker to be successful. Spencer Abbott used to be the playmaker in the Johnson-Sundström-Abbott line, and Abbott didn't played all games in the playoffs. And when he played he wasn't good.

Figren is not a good example, since he has been struggling for the whole season. :)

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Well, I'm not sure about the chemistry between Johnson and Lasch, since they have not been playing together this season - only in the PP. Johnson had good chemistry with Spencer Abbott, and he got injured - that might be one of the reasons why Johnsons production decreased.
Ah. Maybe I'm thinking of CHL?

You also have to keep in mind that Johnson has scored most points (24) in the PP in the whole SHL this season. He is finding all the loose pucks, and taking all the rebounds. When Joel Lundqvist and Spencer Abbott got injured, Frölundas PP lost the edge. This might also be one of the reasons why Johnson scored less points.

However, Johnson is a goalscorer. He NEEDS a good playmaker to be successful. Spencer Abbott used to be the playmaker in the Johnson-Sundström-Abbott line, and Abbott didn't played all games in the playoffs. And when he played he wasn't good.

Figren is not a good example, since he has been struggling for the whole season. :)
Thanks for the info. And you're right about Figren. A shame though. He can do brilliant things from time to time..

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
So have they played yet

Why cant sportsnet broadcast the marlies game nation wide

Its not the nhl

Nope. Second round hasn't even started yet.

NHL playoff games, raptor playoff games, bluejay regular season. There's too much content to squeeze them in at this point of the year. You should know that Lander.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
MLSE needs to purchase another AHL franchise :laugh:.

Nice to see these guys over, at least get them familiar with the organization here.

Hey man I had this conversation with a buddy of mine and we both thought "why the hell not?"

The cap is the cap, but there is no cap for scouting department, execs (Lou), or coaches (Babs).

Why couldn't they have another AHL team? It costs a lot of money to run another franchise, but what do the Leafs have lots of? $$$ and prospects.

The more bullets in your clip the more chances of hitting the target.

Other teams fans would be crying that we're breaking the rules, diminishing the spirit of having a minor league team, playing with an extra card in our deck, whatever.

I think it's a great idea, one worth exploring at the very least.

Expanding on the idea:
Marlies and Marlies II could have a "draft" of sorts, choosing the prospects who just falled short of making the Leafs to build their rosters. Our D might be a little thin but there are always intriguing ECHL FA's to sign to PTO

Leafs
JVR-Stamkos-Marner
Komarov-Matthews-Nylander
Sosh-Kadri-Hyman
Greening-Bozak-Laich

Marlies
Leipsic-Goat-Brown
Leivo -C.Smith-Lindberg
kurtz-Findlay-Bailey
Conacher-Cameranesi-John Scott ;)

Neilson-Brennan
Campbell-Percy
Holl-Martin

Marlies II
Timashov-Carrick-Johnson
Clune-Arcobello-Kapanen
B.Smith-Froese-Picinich
4th liners ... Who cares

Valiev-Loov
Dermott-Harrington
Kolomatis-Doherty

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Nope. Second round hasn't even started yet.

NHL playoff games, raptor playoff games, bluejay regular season. There's too much content to squeeze them in at this point of the year. You should know that Lander.

Crazy how much time is passing between the rounds for the Marlies and Knights. They are winning their series too fast.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
the Marlies want to get the kids time to develop but you're kidding yourself if you think they're not going to ice what they think is their best roster. Clune after all is playing games. They're trying to win.

The 7 guys listed are all better options than a Dermott coming from junior who hasn't learned the system they're playing all year.

If it was an entire veteran laden lineup already then maybe, but it's almost all prospects as it is. They're not going to remove a Brennan or a Campbell from the lineup to give Dermott playoff experience.

I guess I was right.....when push came to shove they iced their best roster and it included Dermott as I thought it would.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I guess I was right.....when push came to shove they iced their best roster and it included Dermott as I thought it would.

Percy is hurt, so is Campbell. That's why Dermott is playing.

I posted in the prospect thread when it happened that I thought Johnson was a shoo-in to get some games.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
That's disgusting. Apparently Johnson didn't know who the Marlies staff were at the hospital.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Welp, there goes 1 prospect to PCS. Absolutely disgusting elbow, that Devils player better be suspended for the rest of the season and then some next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad