Confirmed with Link: Andreas Johnson & Travis Dermott Sent To Marlies For The Remainder Of The Season

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That guy put the elbow up like the dirtbag he is. He aimed at the head. He is screwed and deserves everything he gets. I believe eye for an eye and i hope we go after their skill guys hard and fair next game.

Beating them on the scoresheet is far better than beating them on the ice physically.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Not enough. He could now potentially play in the finals.

meh, 10 games is fine. I don't think he has a history. So a first time suspension of 10 games is a lot. Especially playoff games. Not sure if the AHL does this but the NHL has a history of treating 1 playoff game as a greater punishment than 1 regular season game.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
10 games is decent, but it's at the low end of what I was hoping for.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
10 games is what I was hoping for, feels right to me. I do think he was coming in for a big but clean hit, Johnson dodged him at the last second, Kelly instinctively stuck out the elbow trying to catch him. It was dirty and dangerous, you have to just let guys go instead of sticking out your elbow if they dodge you. However, I do think it was a split second, instinctive decision, and not overly malicious, even though it did end up resulting in a very bad hit.

I think that, in general, NHL and AHL suspensions should be much larger than they are. I think the "slap on the wrist" type suspensions, currently 1-2 games, should be more like 5-10, and the really big suspensions, currently 10-20 games, should be more like 40-80. But based on precedence, 10 games seems right here. 10 games is very much on the long side for an AHL/NHL suspension.

Last edited:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I just watched te game and the hit seemed calculated to me SEER. 30 games is nice but I wouldn't mind if he never played hockey again. Imo the coach should be fined too. It's obvious that Albany plays this style of hockey and the coach deciding that.

I took a longer look at his penalty history, after posting that earlier.. He seems to be one of the enforcer types, on most of his teams.. and has had a history of this before.., so I will change my mind and agree with both of you..

What he got wasn't even close to my first suggestion, though.., so he really got off pretty light..

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Do AHL players get paid for the playoffs? Just curious as to whether this hits him in the pocket book or just misses games.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
That guy put the elbow up like the dirtbag he is. He aimed at the head. He is screwed and deserves everything he gets. I believe eye for an eye and i hope we go after their skill guys hard and fair next game.

Yeah! Lets send our guys out to do equally as stupid things so hopefully they can also get suspended and cost their team the series!

Eye for an eye might be one of the dumbest comments one can read in a series involving pro sports teams.

Win. The. Game. That's the only true retribution you can expect.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
meh, 10 games is fine. I don't think he has a history. So a first time suspension of 10 games is a lot. Especially playoff games. Not sure if the AHL does this but the NHL has a history of treating 1 playoff game as a greater punishment than 1 regular season game.

scratch that, I heard that he didn't, apparently not true, been suspended twice 1 game each for hits to the head.

So yeah it could have been more. 10 games is still a lot however. I'm not upset about it.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Yeah! Lets send our guys out to do equally as stupid things so hopefully they can also get suspended and cost their team the series!

Eye for an eye might be one of the dumbest comments one can read in a series involving pro sports teams.

I mean we shouldn't do equally stupid things but I wouldn't be opposed to Rich Clune beating someones face in *cough* Blandisi *cough*

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

I said hit them hard and fair. Maybe read the whole post next time. If their skill players are open for a clean hit you take it every time. The Marlies will too. Whatever .

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I mean we shouldn't do equally stupid things but I wouldn't be opposed to Rich Clune beating someones face in *cough* Blandisi *cough*

I didn't say anything about heing stupid. This guy made it up out of the blue. He can't read and process i guess.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
10 games is what I was hoping for, feels right to me. I do think he was coming in for a big but clean hit, Johnson dodged him at the last second, Kelly instinctively stuck out the elbow trying to catch him. It was dirty and dangerous, you have to just let guys go instead of sticking out your elbow if they dodge you. However, I do think it was a split second, instinctive decision, and not overly malicious, even though it did end up resulting in a very bad hit.

I think that, in general, NHL and AHL suspensions should be much larger than they are. I think the "slap on the wrist" type suspensions, currently 1-2 games, should be more like 5-10, and the really big suspensions, currently 10-20 games, should be more like 40-80. But based on precedence, 10 games seems right here. 10 games is very much on the long side for an AHL/NHL suspension.
Pretty much agree with this. Also dont think he cared that much about letting his instincts take over though.

Bigger suspensions could keep these guys instincts in check a little better. If he missed 30 games, I bet he'd never throw another elbow in his career.

Morten

May 24, 2014
according to swedish news Johnson is most likely done for the season, suffering from a "light" concussion

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
there is a two week rest protocol with concussions. that means no movement. it's precautionary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad