Andreas Englund

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If you go back and look at the Englund trade thread last year, you can see what Avs fans were saying about him:

"Englund is actually legit good."

"Bummer, I get it, but really liked Englund."

"thought Englund looked decent"

"I liked Englund. He's not an overly gifted player but he seems to understand that and sticks to things he's ok at. "

"really liked Englund but we valued the "experience"."

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If you go back and look at the Englund trade thread last year, you can see what Avs fans were saying about him:

"Englund is actually legit good."

"Bummer, I get it, but really liked Englund."

"thought Englund looked decent"

"I liked Englund. He's not an overly gifted player but he seems to understand that and sticks to things he's ok at. "

"really liked Englund but we valued the "experience"."
I just rarely take the word of other fans, particularly on their own boards. I read other boards more for entertainment and boredom than for learning - not because I think other fans are stupid, but because they're bigger strangers than you all, lol

Try to get a sample of thoughts from our fans on certain players. Granted, there's usually a consensus, but people were very divided on Byfield. People talked about what a lousy captain Kopitar is. People were ready to shoot Moore into the sun. A lot of us (including myself) questioned Talbot as a No. 1.

Fan forums are filled with emotion, incessant negativity, and homerism. I learn more from one person here (whether it's you, Johnny Utah, bland, Sol, Herby, or countless other people who hold true to their opinions) than a sampling of 5 or 10 strangers where I don't have a clue what or how they think.

Anyway, I'm glad it worked out and hope it keeps going!

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I just rarely take the word of other fans, particularly on their own boards. I read other boards more for entertainment and boredom than for learning - not because I think other fans are stupid, but because they're bigger strangers than you all, lol

Try to get a sample of thoughts from our fans on certain players. Granted, there's usually a consensus, but people were very divided on Byfield. People talked about what a lousy captain Kopitar is. People were ready to shoot Moore into the sun. A lot of us (including myself) questioned Talbot as a No. 1.

Fan forums are filled with emotion, incessant negativity, and homerism. I learn more from one person here (whether it's you, Johnny Utah, bland, Sol, Herby, or countless other people who hold true to their opinions) than a sampling of 5 or 10 strangers where I don't have a clue what or how they think.

Anyway, I'm glad it worked out and hope it keeps going!
For sure fan comments have to be put in context. GDT comments for example don't really mean much. They're totally reactionary. We all say silly things in the GDTs.

When I was looking into Englund, I found pretty consistent non-reactionary commentary on him from Avs fans; started out rough, but ended being pretty decent for them. Combine that with some decent defensive analytics, his age, the Kings needing his skillset, and the fact that he's coming to a structured environment. I thought it all added up to a situation where he could be pretty serviceable.

I fully admit I didn't expect him to be THIS good, this soon. It's looking like he could be a long term solution for us. He has some upside. Hopefully he continues to play well.

I'd really like to know management's process for identifying and signing him. How much of this was dumb luck? Or did they really see something in him? I'm glad we have him locked up next year at 1M.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
On Andreas Englund finding a role on the Kings, despite coming into the season without a defined position in the team’s defensive group:

"[Maybe] not clear to this room, but certainly clear to us. We knew what we were getting and what we expected to get from him. He’s our shepherd, he kind of takes care of the group, and he does it the right way. He’s very well admired in the locker room. I think he’s gotten better; every night I think he’s gotten better. There’s no slippage in his game. He brings the physicality, doesn’t take stupid penalties, his mouth isn’t running off. He just plays the game, he shepherds the group, and we’re lucky to have him."

Good stuff.

Bring physicality without putting your team on the PK is great. That was reflected in his analytics as well even last year.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
On Andreas Englund finding a role on the Kings, despite coming into the season without a defined position in the team’s defensive group:

"[Maybe] not clear to this room, but certainly clear to us. We knew what we were getting and what we expected to get from him. He’s our shepherd, he kind of takes care of the group, and he does it the right way. He’s very well admired in the locker room. I think he’s gotten better; every night I think he’s gotten better. There’s no slippage in his game. He brings the physicality, doesn’t take stupid penalties, his mouth isn’t running off. He just plays the game, he shepherds the group, and we’re lucky to have him."

Good stuff.

Bring physicality without putting your team on the PK is great. That was reflected in his analytics as well even last year.
I was way out of touch with his ability and am happy to be wrong. I thought hed get a lot of penalties because he was too slow for the pace. But hes been very solid and is not a goon that cant take a regular shift. Blake gets an A on this signing.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I'm thinking this thread may start to turn into a dumping ground for great hits and fights from Englund.

But regarding the simple plays in hockey, Englund is making good reads and while his passing isn't Gretzky-lite he is making the safe plays both in his zone as well as the offensive zone.

A few times he's jumped up into the play to give an odd man rush but wasn't out of position after the play didn't translate into a goal.

I like his game and love this pairing with Spence. Would love to see what it looks like in the post season.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Englund is starting to remind me a lot of Matt Greene. Smart, solid plays and physicality. He understands his limitations and what he's really good at and then plays to those strengths - a perfect partner for a more dynamic, up-and-coming defenseman.

Yup. He's not trying to be a hero, and in doing so, he IS being one, heh. He knows who he is and what he offers and is doing it confidently.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Englund is starting to remind me a lot of Matt Greene. Smart, solid plays and physicality. He understands his limitations and what he's really good at and then plays to those strengths - a perfect partner for a more dynamic, up-and-coming defenseman.
He's just playing more comfortably, too. He was just moving so slowly during camp, and it appears he was just trying to remember the general x's and o's.

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Still doing good?
He’s filling his role perfectly. He answers the bell when needed and provides physicality and compliments his partner perfectly. As long as he is slotted in the lineup where he should be; seems like a great match for team and player.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Dude if this guy became the new Matt Greene for us…sheeeeeeeeeee

Reactions: funky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad