Andreas Borgman Ridiculous End to End Goal

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
What to do with gardiner?

Trade him. Depending on what Brass wants to do but go after either JT or Carlson in offseason.

Carlson helps shore up our D corps and gives Liljegren another year in AHL to get ready for NHL.

If we go after JT, we likely have one of the best 1/2C combinations in the NHL. Kadri drops to three and will continue to dominate and we just need to find our 4C.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He will be back, and really he didn't do anything that deserved a demotion. He's better than Carrick for my money.
He was struggling when he was demoted. Doesn't move the puck as well as Carrick, doesn't PK and was making defensive mistakes.

He could be fine in the long run, but he didn't deserve to be up at all this season IMO. Dermott and Carrick were always better options.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He was struggling when he was demoted. Doesn't move the puck as well as Carrick, doesn't PK and was making defensive mistakes.

He could be fine in the long run, but he didn't deserve to be up at all this season IMO. Dermott and Carrick were always better options.
Dermott came in and stole a job, but I think if waivers weren't part of the equation, he may have stayed. Carrick doesn't do PK, and is worse in our end. That said, having him play big minutes in the AHL is better than sitting up here, like Carrick.

Reactions: Rogie

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
So crazy, I almost feel like this is a top 10 goal for defensemen ever (in the history of hockey)? ;-) Ok, not at the highest level, this was in the AHL but still wow, sick.

Late bloomer this kid, rookie of the year in SHL as a 21 (year old?) winning gold for HV71, went to Toronto undrafted (?) and now this, wtf? :sarcasm:

I saw a fight on youtube too vs Mihcael Blunden and Borgman clearly won that one. He is strong too and well built, a good hitter.

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Dermott came in and stole a job, but I think if waivers weren't part of the equation, he may have stayed. Carrick doesn't do PK, and is worse in our end. That said, having him play big minutes in the AHL is better than sitting up here, like Carrick.
I'd say they're a wash defensively (Carrick and Borgman), neither play PK, and since Carrick is a much better puck mover and offensive D who also plays the right, it's an obvious choice.

The the waiver issue you mentioned on top of it all.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'd say they're a wash defensively (Carrick and Borgman), neither play PK, and since Carrick is a much better puck mover and offensive D who also plays the right, it's an obvious choice.

Fair enough, I like Borgman better defensively and I think he has offensive skill, as this goal demonstrates, but time will sort it all out.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Trade him. Depending on what Brass wants to do but go after either JT or Carlson in offseason.

Carlson helps shore up our D corps and gives Liljegren another year in AHL to get ready for NHL.

If we go after JT, we likely have one of the best 1/2C combinations in the NHL. Kadri drops to three and will continue to dominate and we just need to find our 4C.

Gards + for Hamonic + ??

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares*-Brown
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Komarov*-Aaltonen-Kapanen

Rielly-Hainsey
Dermott-Hamonic
Borgman-Zaitsev
Ozhiganov

Reactions: 54thecup

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Fair enough, I like Borgman better defensively and I think he has offensive skill, as this goal demonstrates, but time will sort it all out.

My conclusion is he has offensive skill too... ;-) Tons on responsibility on the coaches as well, depends on what kind of role and defensive partner they will give him.

Reactions: DarkKnight

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Wasn't he the SEL ROY a year a go?

He absolutely was...And he's certainly shown flashes of being a very good player for us.

Time in the AHL is going to be great for him in the long run. He's a physical specimen as is and as Babcock noted, has "elite edges".

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I still think this would be our strongest defensive group going into the playoffs:

Dermott - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Borgman - Hainsey

(maybe with Zaitsev and Hainsey switching if Zaitsev struggles)

I like Polak more than most, but Borgman is better right now IMO.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He absolutely was...And he's certainly shown flashes of being a very good player for us.

Time in the AHL is going to be great for him in the long run. He's a physical specimen as is and as Babcock noted, has "elite edges".

thanks, thought so.

You could see Borgman in the NHL want to make those end to end rushes, he tried a few times, I think the AHL is going to be the best thing for him in the long rune, let him dominate at the minor pro level and then he can come up and be a beast in the 5 or 6 slot.

Reactions: ITM

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I disagree with Carrick being a better puck mover. Only thing Carrick has is experience and unfounded confidence, and a right hand shot.

Carrick 12 points in 44 games, rookie Borgman 11 points in 48 games. Not sure I see this better offensive d-man scenario either.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
He was struggling when he was demoted. Doesn't move the puck as well as Carrick,
s.

He was too slow to move the puck and that caused turnovers........but it's his first year over here and he's young and if he works that out,he could be a solid player for them..

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
liljegren.borgman.hug.jpg

Borgman and Liljegren .... will be repeating this hug as NHLers together many many many more times !!!

Reactions: Duke16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad