Player Discussion Andreas Athanasiou

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So Holland, in a second move that I dislike, has bought a kid for 2 seconds from a system that allowed him and probably encouraged him somewhat to cheat for offense.

Holland knows the player both deficencies and upside. His present coach has a set system. Edmonton has at least 4 or 5 players with good to great leadership skills. Holland has made his bet and they will find some way to resign him.

Lets suppose....

This kid ends up just before next years deadline with about 7 goals and 12 assists....but is much better defensively and has started to flatten his ups and downs and his attitude is improving,,,,and it becomes obvious to everyone that in a Tippet system that his upside is more like 15/20....

Does management give up on him at the deadline?
Do fans roast this guy so bad he has to leave?

He certainly doesn't look like a top 6 player now. Maybe spot duty on top line and/or allows one of the top centres some mobility to move down and be a real threat?
If he pans out as a 3LW with offense....is he insurance for Benson failure?

Yzerman got very good value from this player? Did Holland overpay? Or is there hidden relationship value in overpaying as it was obvious this kid has defensive problems to both of them?
Where is this myth that Tippet's system slows offense?

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Where is this myth that Tippet's system slows offense?
Not saying that ....5 men up ...5 men back....
This limits individual cheating for offense....and demands responsibilities from each cog on the line...if its done right it makes the break out from the D zone much better....It enhances offensive opportunities and limits high danger chances against...
But one player cant be up over the blue line waiting for the others to gain possession....
And it requires going hard back ...this take energy all game....
We have a couple of players that need to conserve energy for later in the game....(not AA)...and they need excellent two way wingers with something special(either PF Paddy Maroon type or a quality sniper with two way ability) to help with this not someone that bleeds GA...

Our second line now has this ....
McDavid needs one of two kinds of players on his LW....AA will never likely be that kind of player....but maybe...Holland seems to think he can get there....but i dont think it will be in the first 50 or 60 games next year...

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It’s awesome to see how this site writes off players so easily. Soooo many had Yamamoto written off as a wasted pick and career AHLer until Christmas time this year. Now we have poster wanting to non qualify a guy who scored 30 goals very recently based on a handful of games while adjusting to a new team and a new system.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
It’s awesome to see how this site writes off players so easily. Soooo many had Yamamoto written off as a wasted pick and career AHLer until Christmas time this year. Now we have poster wanting to non qualify a guy who scored 30 goals very recently based on a handful of games while adjusting to a new team and a new system.
Im quite sure Holland will find a way to keep this kid....but do you really believe that its just time to adjust to a new team or system.....
Adjust.....or learn new skills....skills that will take alot of heartache and perseverence and a long term flexible attitude to learn.

Adjust....unlearn bad habits.....learn new ones .....sure lol....

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Im quite sure Holland will find a way to keep this kid....but do you really believe that its just time to adjust to a new team or system.....
Adjust.....or learn new skills....skills that will take alot of heartache and perseverence and a long term flexible attitude to learn.

Adjust....unlearn bad habits.....learn new ones .....sure lol....

after your first sentence absolutely nothing you said made any sense.

Yes Holland will give him a qualifying offer.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Two 2nd rounders for 1 goal and the league's far and away worst - player. I don't think Holland needed to go for that risk. Team would've been better off playing Josh Currie in that spot, because he fits in with the culture. Our team is full of role players who work their asses off despite skill, and three skill playes who also work their asses off on the PK, etc.

AA doesn't work his ass off, doesn't score goals, doesn't seem to fit in with the culture that Tippett has built. People talk about a disruption of chemistry bringing in guys at the deadline. Was there a higher risk of this happening with a player more than with AA? He was the riskiest deadline acquisition by a country mile, and he didn't pay off. Like I said, Holland should have brought in someone who works their bag off instead even if he has less perceived skill. Look at Ennis. What an addition, and for a 5th round pick. He fits into our team structure seamlessly, and was a great addition by Kenny. Not sure what he was thinking with AA though other than a big time gamble at an unnecessary time. Two 2nd round picks gone hurts a lot for that player. Would've had no issue seeing one of them go for Derek Grant who would've fit into our group much better at less cost.

Argument could be made that Kenny was looking for a pure skill guy to play in our top 6, so why not Namestnikov? Colorado got a steal for a 4th rounder.

Two 2nd rounders for AA is a gross overpayment any way you look at it. Oh well.

edit: The highlight of the NHL draft was Scottie Upshall sharing a text that Connor sent him that morning, after congratulating him on his great career and retirement -- Connor asked him 'So am I getting a winger to play with?'

I was sort of shocked to hear Uppy say that on air for the world to hear, but it's obvious .., Connor badly needs a winger to play with. Unfortunately AA was the best they could come up with and showed he was a failure.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Two 2nd rounders for 1 goal and the league's far and away worst - player. I don't think Holland needed to go for that risk. Team would've been better off playing Josh Currie in that spot, because he fits in with the culture. Our team is full of role players who work their asses off despite skill, and three skill playes who also work their asses off on the PK, etc.

AA doesn't work his ass off, doesn't score goals, doesn't seem to fit in with the culture that Tippett has built. People talk about a disruption of chemistry bringing in guys at the deadline. Was there a higher risk of this happening with a player more than with AA? He was the riskiest deadline acquisition by a country mile, and he didn't pay off. Like I said, Holland should have brought in someone who works their bag off instead even if he has less perceived skill. Look at Ennis. What an addition, and for a 5th round pick. He fits into our team structure seamlessly, and was a great addition by Kenny. Not sure what he was thinking with AA though other than a big time gamble at an unnecessary time. Two 2nd round picks gone hurts a lot for that player. Would've had no issue seeing one of them go for Derek Grant who would've fit into our group much better at less cost.

Argument could be made that Kenny was looking for a pure skill guy to play in our top 6, so why not Namestnikov? Colorado got a steal for a 4th rounder.

edit: The highlight of the NHL draft was Scottie Upshall sharing a text that Connor sent him that morning, after congratulating him on his great career and retirement -- Connor asked him 'So am I getting a winger to play with?'

I was sort of shocked to hear Uppy say that on air for the world to hear, but it's obvious .., Connor badly needs a winger to play with. Unfortunately AA was the best they could come up with and showed he was a failure.
ennis has been just as useless as AA.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

It’s HFOil. Where everyone has a good grasp on a player after I dunno, 10 games, can read their body language and declare this player is a write off.

By far, the shittiest place to get a good read on a player, bar none.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

the point of the trade is that it had way less risk.

1- Holland knew about the player
2- AA is an established goal scorer
3- AA is not a rental. We own RFA rights

A guy like Namestnikov didn't have any of that.

And sure, there is risk about the cost we paid sure, but the point is the direction of the risk. Would you rather the risk be in the cost we got him, or in the likelihood of him being the right player? The point was that McDavid NEEDED to have a winger.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

lol, giving up on a player after 8 1/2 games. Bravo.

Previous four years where he scored at a 20-30 goal rate apparently is meaningless.

Josh Currie will be lucky if he ever scores 20 goals in the NHL period, let alone in one season.

Great insight here.

By the way how many more goals than Athanisou does Ennis have? Despite like 3x more playing with McDavid, and a shot with Draisaitl and RNH too (something AA never got a chance at once).

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Not a huge fan of the trade, would've liked to see us go after Namestnikov or Kovalchuk. I don't think AAs style is conducive to winning hockey games. More of a 3rd liner like a poor man's Grabner, has a niche which IMO isn't worth 2 2nds.

Just my $0.02.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not a huge fan of the trade, would've liked to see us go after Namestnikov or Kovalchuk. I don't think AAs style is conducive to winning hockey games. More of a 3rd liner like a poor man's Grabner, has a niche which IMO isn't worth 2 2nds.

Just my $0.02.

Please do list the 2nd round picks the Oilers have had in the last 40 years that have scored 15 goals in an NHL season.

Maybe Tyler Benson will finally be able to take a regular shift on the Oilers lineup next year ... 5 whopping years after being drafted.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Just my $0.02.
Holland is committed to team speed, so I don't think Kovalchuk would have been our guy. Not sure about Namestnikov's skating.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
There's plenty of data on him at this point from his time in Detroit and his brief time so far in Edmonton.

The good: good wheels, good size, good shot and he'll pot some goals on the rush.

The bad: poor defensively, doesn't generate much offense, zero compete level and completely unwilling to engage in puck battles or use his size.

He's the prototypical good skill zero will player so we'll see if they can light a fire under him.

Get the medical 3D printer out and print a Yamamoto heart for him then we have ourselves a another Yamamoto and a 1/2

space321

May 11, 2011
I think the Oilers are hoping he clicks with McDavid for form the top line
I am just happy we did not give up a first

would you guys rather have given up a 1st or 2 2nd for him

would rather have not given up 2 2nds for him

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
would rather have not given up 2 2nds for him

Please do list the abundance of wingers that will be available on the UFA market for $3 million or so that are

- In their 20s

- Can skate really fast with reasonably high skill level.

- Can score 15-25 goals a year

- Would sign in Edmonton for $3 million dollars or so.

You guys act like there's a grocery store where you can just pick up wingers like this. The fact that Chiarelli got fired here largely on the basis of gutting the winger depth here proves that the real world NHL doesn't work like that.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Please do list the abundance of wingers that will be available on the UFA market for $3 million or so that are

- In their 20s

- Can skate really fast with reasonably high skill level.

- Can score 15-25 goals a year

- Would sign in Edmonton for $3 million dollars or so.

You guys act like there's a grocery store where you can just pick up wingers like this. The fact that Chiarelli got fired here largely on the basis of gutting the winger depth here proves that the real world NHL doesn't work like that.

This... Plus the cost is buffered a bit as we won't have to give up our third to Calgary for Neal.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm willing to give the guy a chance and lots of rope. He's young, has size, can skate, and has already had a productive year. But man, the first impressions .......yikes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm willing to give the guy a chance and lots of rope. He's young, has size, can skate, and has already had a productive year. But man, the first impressions .......yikes.

First impressions aren't worth dick all anyway.

Oiler fans crapped on Yamamoto, Archibald, Sheahan early and gave up on Mike Smith in December too. Draisaitl made an ugly first impression too and lots of people wanted him out in a package for PK Subban in summer 2016 (remember that?). Ethan Bear was an after thought going into camp, most people had written him off too in favor of slotting in Bouchard, Persson, etc. etc. over him.

Even historically there have been hilarious examples of people writing off players because of bad first impressions.

I remember actually a bunch of Oiler fans were on Pronger's ass for not looking very good as the Oilers had a good start in 05-06 but then went on a losing streak after about the third game and people were wondering why we were paying this guy $6 million dollars.

Ditto for Peca actually too now that I think back to it, lol.

If you want to crap on every player that doesn't come out of the gates guns blazing in their Oilers career or hasn't had a looooong stretch of uninspired play at some point, the only guy that would be left on the Oilers would be McDavid.

Last edited:

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
First impressions aren't worth dick all anyway.

Oiler fans crapped on Yamamoto, Archibald, Sheahan early and gave up on Mike Smith in December too. Draisaitl made an ugly first impression too and lots of people wanted him out in a package for PK Subban in summer 2016 (remember that?). Ethan Bear was an after thought going into camp, most people had written him off too in favor of slotting in Bouchard, Persson, etc. etc. over him.

Even historically there have been hilarious examples of people writing off players because of bad first impressions.

I remember actually a bunch of Oiler fans were on Pronger's ass for not looking very good as the Oilers had a good start in 05-06 but then went on a losing streak after about the third game and people were wondering why we were paying this guy $6 million dollars.

Ditto for Peca actually too now that I think back to it, lol.

If you want to crap on every player that doesn't come out of the gates guns blazing in their Oilers career or hasn't had a looooong stretch of uninspired play at some point, the only guy that would be left on the Oilers would be McDavid.
Remember after McDavid’s first 4 games in the NHL some on here (a small minority, but it happened) were questioning the McDavid pick and saying the Oilers should have drafted Eichel after Jack got off to a hot start.
No one is immune.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad