Player Discussion Andreas Athanasiou

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The trade thread cleared 1K posts, now that he's been here for a handful of games it's time for a new thread.

Stats before the trade: 46gp. 10-14-24 -45 26pim. 115sog. 28 hits

Oilers stats at the start of this thread: 8gp. 1-1-2 -1 4pim. 13sog. 8 hits

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He’s fine. Stop worrying about him.

My take as well, seems like he has a good chance or shot on goal a game and has made some good passes for scoring chances for his teammates as well. IMO Tippett is working with him in terms of what he expects from him and he seems to be getting there. Sooner or later he'll pot 2 in a game of 3 in 4 games or something and his positive impact can be felt on the team.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Taylor hall but a worse version

He has a better shot than Hall IMO but Hall is definitely the better playmaker, passer, etc. If by some chance we added Hall this offseason the speed this team would have up front would be insane.

Reactions: Oilhawks

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
I have confidence that once he gets some proper practices in and Tippett works with him some more he will be great. Need to have some patience with him.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I have lots of time for him to find his game. Lets hope he quickly adjusts to the team and get things going. We're going to need him to contribute these last 12 games and playoffs as well.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
For whatever it's worth, I'm seeing a lot of player here. There's skill, there's speed and there's a great shot. I'm also seeing tepidness and bit of lack of will in some spots. Seems like a guy who's going to need to be pushed by Tipp and the veterans/leaders, because I think he will respond to this. I'm not writing him off and I still believe he was a good acquisition, because this team's depth is immensely better with him as part of it.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Seems like he’s saying all the right things. It sounds like he knows what he has to do, it’s just a matter of executing whether it be defensively or offensively.

he’s not been nearly as bad as some are saying, and I really think with some practice time and confidence, he’ll be a solid top 9 addition to the team. Hopefully we get a decent contract done with him this summer. Really hoping Tippett can get AA to dig a little deeper and become the impact player he was a year ago.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Red Wings fan here, so I've seen a lot of him.

He's been a disappointment as an Oiler for sure, I expected more by this point.

With that said, only two players on this team have more game breaking offensive potential than he does.

Be a little patient, get him to forecheck better and feed him top-6 minutes for another 5-10 games and see where things stand.

I think it might be understated that he has ONLY played for the Wings, so a lot of things are probably new for him - hopefully he figures it out soon and can find his niche.

The good news is I don't think he needs McD or Drai at all. In fact, he might be better suited as being the offense on a line.

If he can keep that top end talent and buy into everything else the team is doing he can make an impact - totally admit he has only shown a few flashes of that so far, hoping there's more to come.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Is learning the Tippit defensive game to end his plus minus problem. I think once he is feeling good about that he will start to open up.

Took the rest of the team months to play the way the coach wanted so he needs some time.

Hopefully by playoffs the offense comes back.

space321

May 11, 2011
Red Wings fan here, so I've seen a lot of him.

He's been a disappointment as an Oiler for sure, I expected more by this point.

With that said, only two players on this team have more game breaking offensive potential than he does.

Be a little patient, get him to forecheck better and feed him top-6 minutes for another 5-10 games and see where things stand.

I think it might be understated that he has ONLY played for the Wings, so a lot of things are probably new for him - hopefully he figures it out soon and can find his niche.

The good news is I don't think he needs McD or Drai at all. In fact, he might be better suited as being the offense on a line.

If he can keep that top end talent and buy into everything else the team is doing he can make an impact - totally admit he has only shown a few flashes of that so far, hoping there's more to come.

Are you talking about Detroit or Edmonton lol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I also see a player, just been fighting the puck. Staple him to McDavid (not like there is many better options) and see what he can do over a 15 game sample.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I see him as a guy who can be good but will never have enough consistency to be a top 6 guy. Legit solid scoring 3rd liner but doesn't have enough in his game to be a fixture in the top 6.

If we keep not having enough top 6 guys, he will get his reps with McDavid like everyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->