Player Discussion Andreas Athanasiou

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It's not much of a gamble. It's not like he's a young player waiting to breakout. He scored 30 goals last year on a bad Wings team. Just because of a mediocre first few games with the Oilers doesn't mean it went hard on us. There's a very high chance he reverts back to the 40-50 point pace from last year.
His qualifying offer would be north of 3M. Can Holland afford to spend cap space on him or with that same 3M+ lock up Sheahan+ Ennis + Slepychev?
IMO, if a team is willing to give up a 2nd for him at the draft Holland will pull the trigger.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
His qualifying offer would be north of 3M. Can Holland afford to spend cap space on him or with that same 3M+ lock up Sheahan+ Ennis + Slepychev?
IMO, if a team is willing to give up a 2nd for him at the draft Holland will pull the trigger.

AA > Slepyshev.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
AA > Slepyshev.
AA>over all of Shehan, Slepyshev, Ennis. I like Shehan as much as the next guy, but he’s a replaceable 4C who is decent at draws. Ennis has skill but more than likely plays in our bottom 6, where he doesn’t really fit. Slepyshev is a wild card, could easily not do well again over here.

AA had an awful year this year, and never really had a chance to even adjust here yet, but you can see the skill is there. He’s only 1 season removed from 30 G. He will be qualified, more than likely takes that and walks himself to UFA. I don’t know about you but having a fast skilled winger fighting for a new, he’s hoping big, contract is something I want on this roster next year.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Wings fan sharing. Any news on AA's next contract? Thanks.

upload_2020-3-23_13-18-38.png

space321

May 11, 2011
I wouldn't qualify AA at that asking price tbh, his contract was one of the reasons I think we overpaid. He's not playing like a player worth 3M+, and his 30 goal season so far is an extreme outlier. It's quite a tough situation to be in, but Holland put himself in it so idk, he's probably too stubborn and going to offer AA a QO. At least QOs are only 1 year right.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wouldn't qualify AA at that asking price tbh, his contract was one of the reasons I think we overpaid. He's not playing like a player worth 3M+, and his 30 goal season so far is an extreme outlier. It's quite a tough situation to be in, but Holland put himself in it so idk, he's probably too stubborn and going to offer AA a QO. At least QOs are only 1 year right.
3 million is not a lot in 80+ million cap time. And of course where he was in the lineup is not the whole story. You are buying skills that make him a top six player if he could start clicking.

I'm sure he will be qualified as well, if for no other reason than what we paid. But I do think he might get that much on the open market as well. (well maybe not if the cap goes nuts this summer but that's no benchmark)

space321

May 11, 2011
3 million is not a lot in 80+ million cap time. And of course where he was in the lineup is not the whole story. You are buying skills that make him a top six player if he could start clicking.

I'm sure he will be qualified as well, if for no other reason than what we paid. But I do think he might get that much on the open market as well. (well maybe not if the cap goes nuts this summer but that's no benchmark)

Well yeah, 3/80 is not a lot, but for a player of AA's calibre it's pushing it a little. If he ends up a 1 dimensional 20-20 player, 3M is like meh. But if he's a 15-15 then that's an overpay. Obviously if he goes back to 30g it's a steal but like, have you seen him play? I'm not a big fan of paying players based on their future potential when it comes to a project player like AA. If we do the same for a guy like Bear (and like Klef/Drai/RNH/Hall/etc before that), I'm all down.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well yeah, 3/80 is not a lot, but for a player of AA's calibre it's pushing it a little. If he ends up a 1 dimensional 20-20 player, 3M is like meh. But if he's a 15-15 then that's an overpay. Obviously if he goes back to 30g it's a steal but like, have you seen him play? I'm not a big fan of paying players based on their future potential when it comes to a project player like AA. If we do the same for a guy like Bear (and like Klef/Drai/RNH/Hall/etc before that), I'm all down.
seems like an okay gamble to take

But I will say that the team should prefer a show-me deal to be at a lower number, and for all we know that 3 million might be too much if the cap goes down. But, in that case of course we could just not sign him.

But forgive me if I'm wrong, but if we wanted to, could we sign Anathasiou for less? That would mean he has the option to go elswhere as a UFA, but if we go down that route it means the cap is tight everywhere. And, perhaps AA sees the opportunity to play with McDavid eventually as just too good, and so 2 million AAV for one year could be a smart gamble on himself.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
a 15/15 player that doesnt see top 6 time is worth 3m.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

This board is so short sighted sometimes it's hilarious.

Even if you want to discount his 30 goal season (because how many players accidentally score 30 goals in this league?), the other three seasons in Detroit around that one season, he scores at a 0.24 goals per game pace (which is pretty much a 20 goal pace).

The only Oilers that have managed that in the last three years are McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nugent Hopkins.

Kassian averages 0.17 goals per game and a bunch of that is inflated by McDavid and Draisaitl, and he still can't crack 0.2 goals per game over a 3 year period.

This will be the same thing as Strome -- a lot of people did not want him qualified at $3 million and he was in a terrible offensive funk when he got dumped out of here (1 goal in 18 games) ... now that they see what he's doing in New York, they'd bend over backwards and kiss their rear end to have him back.

Holland thankfully has more patience than some kids on a message board. Not only will the Oilers play the long game on Athansiou, I actually will call this too -- Jesse Puljujarvi isn't gonna get traded either. Holland will force him to play for the Oilers or forfeit millions of dollars. Holland wants to see him play for a long period here before he gets forced into doing anything. He is much more deliberate of a GM in that way.

Good luck by the way finding a player that can skate like McDavid, is 25 years old, scores at a 20-30 goal rate for the last 4 seasons for only $3 million dollars (peanuts) this summer on the UFA market. Gooooooood f***ing luck on that.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Even if you want to discount his 30 goal season (because how many players accidentally score 30 goals in this league?), the other three seasons in Detroit around that one season, he scores at a 0.24 goals per game pace (which is pretty much a 20 goal pace).

The only Oilers that have managed that in the last three years are McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nugent Hopkins.

Kassian averages 0.17 goals per game and a bunch of that is inflated by McDavid and Draisaitl, and he still can't crack 0.2 goals per game over a 3 year period.

This will be the same thing as Strome -- a lot of people did not want him qualified at $3 million and he was in a terrible offensive funk when he got dumped out of here (1 goal in 18 games) ... now that they see what he's doing in New York, they'd bend over backwards and kiss their rear end to have him back.

Holland thankfully has more patience than some kids on a message board. Not only will the Oilers play the long game on Athansiou, I actually will call this too -- Jesse Puljujarvi isn't gonna get traded either. Holland will force him to play for the Oilers or forfeit millions of dollars. Holland wants to see him play for a long period here before he gets forced into doing anything. He is much more deliberate of a GM in that way.

Good luck by the way finding a player that can skate like McDavid, is 25 years old, scores at a 20-30 goal rate for the last 4 seasons for only $3 million dollars (peanuts) this summer on the UFA market. Gooooooood f***ing luck on that.
I really agree with this tact. Chiarelli's big problem was that he made impulse reactions. Holland is patient.

And that's why I think he plays hardball with Puljujarvi. It's smart to wait out JP's trade demand. He'd be stupid to snub the NHL too long, and you don't want to set the precedent that you trade players just because they want it.

Also, the fans hate JP, but even that can be waited out. Fan opinion will flip in a second if JP finds success.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I really agree with this tact. Chiarelli's big problem was that he made impulse reactions. Holland is patient.

And that's why I think he plays hardball with Puljujarvi. It's smart to wait out JP's trade demand. He'd be stupid to snub the NHL too long, and you don't want to set the precedent that you trade players just because they want it.

Also, the fans hate JP, but even that can be waited out. Fan opinion will flip in a second if JP finds success.

Never make trades on the basis of fans. No offence to them, but generally they are short sighted and reactionary.

Fans here chased Justin Schultz out of town too ... guy was a solid piece for two Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Never make trades on the basis of fans. No offence to them, but generally they are short sighted and reactionary.

Fans here chased Justin Schultz out of town too ... guy was a solid piece for two Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Oh man don't get me started on Schultz lol. He was good initially when he was playing with Whitney, who for all his faults at the end at least had the knowledge. Then he retired and Schultz is given... Ference.

But by the end, Schultz' confidence was ruined here and he had to be traded imo. If for nothing else, than for his own sake. But yes, a classic case of us enduring the rough early years, developing players for other teams. ie Dubnyk, Petry, Cogliano, Brodziak

Reactions: dawunderboy

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oh man don't get me started on Schultz lol. He was good initially when he was playing with Whitney, who for all his faults at the end at least had the knowledge. Then he retired and Schultz is given... Ference.

But by the end, Schultz' confidence was ruined here and he had to be traded imo. If for nothing else, than for his own sake. But yes, a classic case of us enduring the rough early years, developing players for other teams. ie Dubnyk, Petry, Cogliano, Brodziak

Which is why the Oilers need to ask why this keeps happening to them.

You have to honestly ask yourself for starters has the player been given a fair chance to show their ability in a role suitable for them.

Athansiou had basically 5-6 periods total with McDavid (he got hurt in the 2nd game and had to leave the game remember). The chemistry wasn't instant, and that's OK that happens.

He still had a decent 1 goal and 1 assist in that 5-6 period span.

Other than that, he has had 0 time to play with any of the other 3 top skilled Oiler forwards -- 0 with Draisaitl, RNH, or Yamamoto. 0 time on the PP.

And don't give me that bull shit about having to earn it ... Chiasson gets thrown on the PP over and over and over again despite having a mediocre season. Lucic used to get chance after chance after chance with McDavid and Draisaitl again. Gagner got multiple tries with McDavid and Draisaitl. So gimme a break with that.

This is similar to Strome who never, ever for whatever reason got any time to play with McDavid or Draisaitl for no good reason and never got any top unit PP time either.

Before you dump on a player you need to ask honestly if the player's usage really is a fair way to rate what they bring to the table. Misusing players like Strome, Schultz, etc. led to good players being shipped out of here for no good reason.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Yeah and ... so what?

Yamamoto wasn't great his first 20 games here.

Neither was Archibald.

Neither was Strome.

Neither was Draisaitl.

It's meaningless.
Underrated comment here. Might just be time we stop generating concluding opinions on players because they fail to produce in small sample sizes.

Reactions: TB12

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Yeah and ... so what?

Yamamoto wasn't great his first 20 games here.

Neither was Archibald.

Neither was Strome.

Neither was Draisaitl.

It's meaningless.
Fair enough. It’s not like I said let’s cut the guy. He hasn’t been great, but I am still glad he and his speed are on the team. Sometimes it takes a while to gel.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Fair enough. It’s not like I said let’s cut the guy. He hasn’t been great, but I am still glad he and his speed are on the team. Sometimes it takes a while to gel.
Just remember how long it took archibald to get up to speed in Tippets system.

At the beginning of the year he looked like absolute trash

Reactions: tardigrade81

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

would “like” if I could.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
There's plenty of data on him at this point from his time in Detroit and his brief time so far in Edmonton.

The good: good wheels, good size, good shot and he'll pot some goals on the rush.

The bad: poor defensively, doesn't generate much offense, zero compete level and completely unwilling to engage in puck battles or use his size.

He's the prototypical good skill zero will player so we'll see if they can light a fire under him.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So Holland, in a second move that I dislike, has bought a kid for 2 seconds from a system that allowed him and probably encouraged him somewhat to cheat for offense.

Holland knows the player both deficencies and upside. His present coach has a set system. Edmonton has at least 4 or 5 players with good to great leadership skills. Holland has made his bet and they will find some way to resign him.

Lets suppose....

This kid ends up just before next years deadline with about 7 goals and 12 assists....but is much better defensively and has started to flatten his ups and downs and his attitude is improving,,,,and it becomes obvious to everyone that in a Tippet system that his upside is more like 15/20....

Does management give up on him at the deadline?
Do fans roast this guy so bad he has to leave?

He certainly doesn't look like a top 6 player now. Maybe spot duty on top line and/or allows one of the top centres some mobility to move down and be a real threat?
If he pans out as a 3LW with offense....is he insurance for Benson failure?

Yzerman got very good value from this player? Did Holland overpay? Or is there hidden relationship value in overpaying as it was obvious this kid has defensive problems to both of them?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad