Player Discussion Andre Burakovsky

Will Burakovsky be a Capital in 2019-2020?

• Total voters

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I start with a few question for you guys who has followed the Capitals over the years.
Has Burakovsky lived up to his expectations? How has he performed over last 5 years? What were your expectations from him and what did/do the caps expect from him?

I cant say i have watched that much of the Capitals exept from the playoffs so i could very well be talking out of my ass, but imho:

I dont get how the caps have kept him for so long.
Although no one expected him to be the new Crosby i would assume the caps expected alot more from him, especially the last couple of years?
I get hes "only" 23 but still.

Just trade him already. Why keep an overpaid non productive dude in the rooster?
He has soon gotten more chances than Anton Lander to prove himself!

He played played 53 games as a 19 year old rookie and had 22 pts and +12. His sophomore year he improved his numbers, 79 GP, 17+21=38 pts. People's expectations of him were that he continue to develop, grow and become a solid top 6 forward. But he regressed, seemingly each year. Two different hand injuries didn't help, but even when healthy he would disappear for loooong stretches at a time and got healthy scratched a handful of times, usually putting up a few points after he returns making people think maybe he's turned the corner, but only to disappear again for a month or two. He's used a sports psychologist to try to get his head right, but it hasn't made a difference this year. He's healthy this year, but hasn't found his game - turnovers, poor decisions, a couple goals here and there but overall a puck possession nightmare for his line. Still young and could potentially still work it all out, but his hockey sense is poor and he's not showing any signs of figuring it all out. He continues to be a tease, occasionally flashing his talent like game 7 vs TB, but then disappearing for two months like he has all this season. Those flashes kept him around, but its clear TR and GMBM are over the Andre era.

Reactions: Saint PeterTheGreat

Saint PeterTheGreat

Apr 1, 2018
He played played 53 games as a 19 year old rookie and had 22 pts and +12. His sophomore year he improved his numbers, 79 GP, 17+21=38 pts. People's expectations of him were that he continue to develop, grow and become a solid top 6 forward. But he regressed, seemingly each year. Two different hand injuries didn't help, but even when healthy he would disappear for loooong stretches at a time and got healthy scratched a handful of times, usually putting up a few points after he returns making people think maybe he's turned the corner, but only to disappear again for a month or two. He's used a sports psychologist to try to get his head right, but it hasn't made a difference this year. He's healthy this year, but hasn't found his game - turnovers, poor decisions, a couple goals here and there but overall a puck possession nightmare for his line. Still young and could potentially still work it all out, but his hockey sense is poor and he's not showing any signs of figuring it all out. He continues to be a tease, occasionally flashing his talent like game 7 vs TB, but then disappearing for two months like he has all this season. Those flashes kept him around, but its clear TR and GMBM are over the Andre era.

Thanks for the insight guys!
I get that the caps want to keep a guy with pretty good potential, it's not like he's without talant but i feel it as quite a gamble to keep such an "up-and-down" player! And I'm a little surprised he's gotten so many chances.

Aint there alot of pretty decent Young players out there who's gotten traded for way less over the years?
The caps has showed more patience then a buddhist monk :D

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Thanks for the insight guys!
I get that the caps want to keep a guy with pretty good potential, it's not like he's without talant but i feel it as quite a gamble to keep such an "up-and-down" player! And I'm a little surprised he's gotten so many chances.

Aint there alot of pretty decent Young players out there who's gotten traded for way less over the years?
The caps has showed more patience then a buddhist monk :D
In theory, the most value they could have gotten for him was exposing him, Marcus Johansson, and Eller with 1 year left on his deal in the expansion draft and protected Nate Schmidt, but then maybe they don't win the Cup without Bura/Eller if Mcphee took one of them and Schmidt helped Vegas get to the finals who were the preferred matchup. Outside of that it's never made sense to actively shop him until the last month or 2.

Jun 15, 2007
The Capitals have made it clear that if they do make an Andre Burakovsky trade, they aren’t interested in futures (unless they know those futures can be used to add something right away). They are in it to repeat, and trading him for something that doesn’t add to those chances is not appealing for them. They are an analytically inclined organization, they know Burakovsky’s numbers are pretty good for someone who doesn’t get a ton of power play time

Reactions: Hivemind

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't see the point in trading him for a defensive-defender when a.) Orpik should help sooner than later and b.) I'm not sure any of their bottom six aside from Eller/Connolly can be relied upon offensively. Even Eller hasn't been productive much of the time. Boyd has produced along with the rest of the fourth-line but can he keep that up? How about when his speed/strength is further tested in playoff conditions? It seems doubtful. Can DSP replicate this past run? Also doubtful. Dowd has provided a slight uptick but I'm also not sure how he stands up to playoff scrutiny. With Stephenson also buried and not producing, it's hard to cavalierly toss 65 aside.

They're doing well enough right now but I've got to think that they know just how fragile their forward (and winger depth in particular) can be. It's why a change of scenery deal for a fellow winger makes a lot more sense IMO. Even if they may not be totally sold on 34/22 on the third pair or as depth, that ought to be a lower priority item as-is than getting a piece to solidify the third line. Whether it's Burakovsky that helps do that or someone else, it presents a much tougher dynamic that they've lacked much of the season. Eller bears a lot of responsibility for that but one way or another they need to address it. Like I've said, Burakovsky can still be a positive asset ala Namestnikov in the JT Miller deal in order to land a solid piece at the deadline if need be. But in the meantime they should give him a chance again with 20/10 and cycle through Dowd/Boyd/DSP/Jaskin/Stephenson on the fourth-line as need be.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I don't see the point in trading him for a defensive-defender when a.) Orpik should help sooner than later and b.) I'm not sure any of their bottom six aside from Eller/Connolly can be relied upon offensively. Even Eller hasn't been productive much of the time. Boyd has produced along with the rest of the fourth-line but can he keep that up? How about when his speed/strength is further tested in playoff conditions? It seems doubtful. Can DSP replicate this past run? Also doubtful. Dowd has provided a slight uptick but I'm also not sure how he stands up to playoff scrutiny. With Stephenson also buried and not producing, it's hard to cavalierly toss 65 aside.

They're doing well enough right now but I've got to think that they know just how fragile their forward (and winger depth in particular) can be. It's why a change of scenery deal for a fellow winger makes a lot more sense IMO. Even if they may not be totally sold on 34/22 on the third pair or as depth, that ought to be a lower priority item as-is than getting a piece to solidify the third line. Whether it's Burakovsky that helps do that or someone else, it presents a much tougher dynamic that they've lacked much of the season. Eller bears a lot of responsibility for that but one way or another they need to address it. Like I've said, Burakovsky can still be a positive asset ala Namestnikov in the JT Miller deal in order to land a solid piece at the deadline if need be. But in the meantime they should give him a chance again with 20/10 and cycle through Dowd/Boyd/DSP/Jaskin/Stephenson on the fourth-line as need be.

I want a defensive defender added but you absolutely do not have to trade Bura to get one. Grab Lovejoy for a 4th round pick from Jersey and call it a day.

I agree that it's wise to keep scoring depth. I wish they would teach Burakovsky how to kill penalties. The guy can skate, that's his greatest strength.

Reactions: RandyHolt

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
To me the bottom line is that there's no reason to rush to trade Burakovsky. Wait until much closer to the trade deadline and assess the teams' health and depth then.

This is where I'm at. No reason to rush a move for the sake of making a move unless they're given an offer they can't refuse.

The bottom six is bound to cool off. DSP should be the next on the nacho duty rotation. Reunite 65-20-10. Or guys are going to get hurt.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
There’s really no risk in keeping Bura because of how deep we are. It would be nice to not trade him when his value is so low but if we can’t get what he’s worth on the market he’s a pretty decent 13th forward option to bring in an occasional spark or hedge our bets in case of injury.

I really hope he can turn it around. He seems to be really well liked among his teammates and you never know whether losing someone like that might harm the whole team feelgood thing.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Even if Bura’s light in the Hockey IQ department, he was the first Cap to recognize that girl in white flashing the team while they did their victory lap with the Cup around the rink in Vegas. That’s gotta count for something when dissecting his value...

Truly underrated skill he demonstrated.

2bw6au.jpg

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Even if Bura’s light in the Hockey IQ department, he was the first Cap to recognize that girl in white flashing the team while they did their victory lap with the Cup around the rink in Vegas. That’s gotta count for something when dissecting his value...

He might not be a great winger, but he’s a great wingman with radar like that!

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
would you take MoJo+small asset back for him?
1) No need to adapt to the team for MoJo.
2) the 2nd PP unit with Kuzy, Eller and TW/BC in the slot against a weaker opposition.

Jun 15, 2007
would you take MoJo+small asset back for him?
1) No need to adapt to the team for MoJo.
2) the 2nd PP unit with Kuzy, Eller and TW/BC in the slot against a weaker opposition.

I'd do it. Not because I think Mojo is great (he has been pretty poor post concussion) but because any top 9 forward is better than Burakovsky at this point. Also I think Mojo is injured again.

NJD would have to retain a bit to make the cap work. Bura for Mojo straight up, Mojo leaves in the offseason.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Would you guys be interested in a Burakovsky-Perlini swap?

Deal like this would be what i'd be pursuing, although if he's on the table would prefer Puljujarvi from Oilers rather than Perlini, but either way. Replacement with high potential with own issues, as well as the additional cap space. That being said i'm not sure if GMBM is looking at deal like this unless he has some other deal up in his sleeve. They aren't looking to get weaker, but could potentially use some cap space.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I'd love for them to overpay St. Louis for B Schenn. Bura (RFA) + whatever round pick gets it done for Schenn 30% retained.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
They need a 3rd line winger, they don't need Schenn. 20-25 year old offensive minded player, can play both RW/LW positions, left shot is preferred - that's how I look at it.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
That wouldn’t get it done for Schenn, especially with retention added in. I think BMacs comments were pretty telling. Burakovsky is the most likely candidate being shopped for a hockey trade type deal. Vancouver keeps being linked to him but there’s not a ton of pieces on their roster that are appealing that we could trade Bura for

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Hagelin's back playing for LA. Watched a bit of the Kings/Senators game the other night and he looked okay from coming back from his injury. Speed, experience, PK, third line would be Hagelin-Eller-Connolly. One for one, salary would work out, pending UFA.

Reactions: Silky mitts

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Bura at this point is worth a bag of new pucks and maybe a 12 pack of Dr.Pepper for Ovie.

BMac spelled it out pretty clearly in his presser the other day. He basically said this: Since Bura is an RFA, any team trading for him would have to qualify him or he's just a rental, and no one else sees him as worth his qualifying offer either. So his trade value is just that of a rental. Who's going to give up a contributing asset for an underperforming rental?

Reactions: peterthegreat12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad