Confirmed with Link: André Tourigny named next Head Coach (presser @11AM Thursday)

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'm just glad it's done. I was excited when I heard Tocchet. That didn't turn out too well. Now I'll wait to be excited when they start winning. I will get fired up if we get some good players though.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I wanted Nelson, just like last time. I think what solidified Tourigny as the next HC is bringing Groulx along as an assistant. We get two guys we were interested in and not just one.

I still think Nelson was the safer choice, Tourigny didn't have the greatest record in the Q but is well respected by everyone.

Hopefully that's based on merit and not just being a likable person like Tocchet.

Reactions: Kaizen

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I wanted Nelson, just like last time. I think what solidified Tourigny as the next HC is bringing Groulx along as an assistant. We get two guys we were interested in and not just one.

I still think Nelson was the safer choice, Tourigny didn't have the greatest record in the Q but is well respected by everyone.

Hopefully that's based on merit and not just being a likable person like Tocchet.
Hopefully Tourigny can bring Groulx. That would be awesome.

rt

May 13, 2004
Found an Adrian Dater article from the Denver Post in 2014 that states Tourigny worked primarily with the the defense and penalty killing:

"Holden worked closely with assistant coach Andre Tourigny — who’s primarily in charge of the defense and penalty killing — and said he gained a lot from that by the time he got his opportunity in the lineup."

Nick Holden paying off as Colorado Avalanche defenseman – The Denver Post

^ Doesn't mean he hasn't done F & PP work as an assistant either before or after. But it does seem unlikely that he coached Hayton much directly.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Found an Adrian Dater article from the Denver Post in 2014 that states Tourigny worked primarily with the the defense and penalty killing:

"Holden worked closely with assistant coach Andre Tourigny — who’s primarily in charge of the defense and penalty killing — and said he gained a lot from that by the time he got his opportunity in the lineup."

Nick Holden paying off as Colorado Avalanche defenseman – The Denver Post

^ Doesn't mean he hasn't done F & PP work as an assistant either before or after. But it does seem unlikely that he coached Hayton much directly.
I know nothing about Tourigny but when I hear he works primarily with defense I can't help but think snoozeville. Winning would solve that of course but man it would be nice to have the Coyotes actually be a top 10 offense. Of course that would require a first line which will probably never happen either. haha

rt

May 13, 2004
I know nothing about Tourigny but when I hear he works primarily with defense I can't help but think snoozeville. Winning would solve that of course but man it would be nice to have the Coyotes actually be a top 10 offense. Of course that would require a first line which will probably never happen either. haha
Peter Laviolette was a D coach. Jared Bednar, too. Hope that helps. ;)

Reactions: MisterPurple

rt

May 13, 2004
Speaking of D coaches, what about Alain Nasreddine? Since he was hired in Jersey six years ago, up until last year, the Devils have had one of the best PKs in the NHL. Since New Jersey decided not to make him the full time HC after he held the interim tag once Hynes was let go, the PK dropped to the bottom of the league.

Now, if Nas was actually responsible for how good that PK was pre-Ruff than he’s not only a great candidate but probably highly motivated to leave. Could be it was just propped up by Hynes and Nas isn’t much good. fans can’t know that. But people around the league likely do.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I assume Tourigny's direct experience with Hayton played a huge role in this. And Doan. I wouldn't be surprised if Doan gets serious consideration for AGM. Tourigny was likely his candidate that he pushed for.

Groulx is just icing on the cake if it happens. No way Nelson can compete with that. It's like hiring 2 great head coach candidates in one stroke. If you can't learn from those two, you need to get the f*** out.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Hopefully Tourigny can bring Groulx. That would be awesome.
I thought it was reported in the other thread that Groulx was going to be an assistant?

Also was listening to the Master Class podcast. Passed out half way through.... But Tourigny was speaking of Groulx like he is one of his best friends so it sounds very likely.

Now back to sleep....

rt

May 13, 2004
I thought it was reported in the other thread that Groulx was going to be an assistant?

Also was listening to the Master Class podcast. Passed out half way through.... But Tourigny was speaking of Groulx like he is one of his best friends so it sounds very likely.

Now back to sleep....
Groulx is still just a rumor.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, the time to get optimistic is upon us… again. Wish him all the best, not convinced he’s “the one”, but he looks to be ours.
Thanks for putting a lot of info together in one place rt.
I can't get optimistic. Was not happy with the BA hiring, or this hiring. I seems we are doing the same thing over and over by going cheap on the hires of the most important positions in the organization. Everyone deserves a chance so I will continue pulling for the Yote's for the time being.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Independently verified by ESPN. Confirmed.

Source: Coyotes will hire Tourigny as next coach

“The team's decision was first reported by AZ Coyotes Insider and confirmed by ESPN Wednesday night, and could start a busy offseason in Arizona.“
You got your man rt. You probably know more about him than anyone else of these forums. I really hope he succeeds for the organizations sake, but I have my doubts.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm just glad it's done. I was excited when I heard Tocchet. That didn't turn out too well. Now I'll wait to be excited when they start winning. I will get fired up if we get some good players though.

I was very pumped on Tocchet too. Once bitten, twice shy.
Funny you guys mentioned this. I had RT as my choice as well. Go figure. :laugh:

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I assume Tourigny's direct experience with Hayton played a huge role in this. And Doan. I wouldn't be surprised if Doan gets serious consideration for AGM. Tourigny was likely his candidate that he pushed for.

Groulx is just icing on the cake if it happens. No way Nelson can compete with that. It's like hiring 2 great head coach candidates in one stroke. If you can't learn from those two, you need to get the f*** out.
I was thinking about Doan and wondering if he had any input on this hiring. I don't think Hayton had anything to do with this hire.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I approve of the hire - mostly glad it's not Lambert, to be honest, but from what I've read I'm cautiously optimistic. More optimistic than I was about Tocchet, but that's because Tocchet had already had his "flaming pile of poop" moment with the Lightning.

I hope this works out for us. That's as enthusiastic as I can get at the moment.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I approve of the hire - mostly glad it's not Lambert, to be honest, but from what I've read I'm cautiously optimistic. More optimistic than I was about Tocchet, but that's because Tocchet had already had his "flaming pile of poop" moment with the Lightning.

I hope this works out for us. That's as enthusiastic as I can get at the moment.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I can't get optimistic. Was not happy with the BA hiring, or this hiring. I seems we are doing the same thing over and over by going cheap on the hires of the most important positions in the organization. Everyone deserves a chance so I will continue pulling for the Yote's for the time being.

For me the most important factor is that he's a proven winner. Not only what he's done with the 67s, but he was selected to coach team Canada 11 times! Considering the deep bench up North, that tells me he's highly respected as a coach by people that know a lot more about it than me.

Reactions: Surfshop and RemoAZ

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Time will tell

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad