Recalled/Assigned: Andersson to Hartford

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Is that just your personal preference? To me they haven't moved the needle either.
Yeah I guess personal preference. Necas I really like a lot, he was drafted as a winger but I could see him playing center in the NHL

And Mittelstadt has been beaten to death so I won’t go into that.

Reactions: Svenhart2008

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Mittelstadt has 10 points getting 3 more minutes of ice time and is abysmal defensively. He's also one of the worst young players on faceoffs I've ever seen checking in at 38%. I'm glad Lias is going back to the Pack where he can actually get real ice time. Quinn has handled him very poorly. He's played a lot less talented players more. A perfect example of why this team needs this guy going forward is the other night where he laid a hit on a defenseman, almost knocked him down, stole the puck and set up an easy goal from the crease. We basically have a couple of players who can do that. Most of our forwards are soft. Rangers fans are one of the worst in professional sports when it comes to evaluating their roster players and prospects. All you hear from the majority of our fan base is everything in the organization sucks. Which is hilarious considering they won more playoff games than any team in hockey before last season.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
It's not about the stats. It's the visible skillset. You can see Chytil struggle to score because he is a rookie but you can see flashes of talent and brilliance. That are going to translate into a better kind of player when he puts it together. I have seen none of that with Lias so far.

That said I wanted Brannstrom over Lias.

I do think Chytil will be a top 6 while Lias will be a reliable 3rd line C .... fans will complain about that but at the same time Andersson is more likely to develop in a leader so as long as he gets to being a solid 2 way player I’m good w the pick

It’s really going to be intetestinf to see who earns more minutes Howden or Andersson work Hayes goes .... and he will go imo

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Social media is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to sports fans. No matter how crazy some things may sound on boards like this, you know that a high percentage of posters have some sort of knowledge about the game. The vast land of social media is just scorched earth.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
It's not the lack of production from Andersson that bothers me. It's the apparent lack of certain high end skills. I see little creativity and puck poise out of him. It's there in Chytil, you can see it.

Exactly added to the very real fact that the kid can’t skate at all. That scares me more than anything.

Reactions: BroadwayStorm

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
He can skate fine. You and the rest of the wanna be scouts on this board are exactly the problem with this fan base. For the first time I can see no FA's wanting to come her because of the negative, condescending attitude of the majority of the fans. Don't look now but our fan base has basically become the Mets. A fan base of know it all, negative angry fans that no player wants to deal with. Every top scouting report I saw said Andersson's scouting was fine. Of course the wanna be scouts here rip it because they think they work for the team.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It's not the lack of production from Andersson that bothers me. It's the apparent lack of certain high end skills. I see little creativity and puck poise out of him. It's there in Chytil, you can see it.
That’s the problem, you’re asking for something out of Lias that he isn’t, like how people were mad at Brian Boyle for not being the Hulk out on the ice because he’s huge.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
That’s the problem, you’re asking for something out of Lias that he isn’t, like how people were mad at Brian Boyle for not being the Hulk out on the ice because he’s huge.

No I agree. I think Lias will be a solid middle six forward for a long time. My criticism is directed to the Rangers' front office, not Lias. They need home runs, not singles.

Reactions: Lundy HOF

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I think you’re underrating his skill level. He’s already shown adept passing skills. He’s got a very good shot. And he had a very productive D+1 season last year.

That being said, if Andersson becomes a very good third line player, (the same goes for Howden), due to the Rangers adding more high players like Chytil and Kravtsov, then the Rangers are better off in the long run. Right now, Kadri is a third line center and he was taken 7OA. I think the Rangers would be very satisfied if Andersson reached the Kadri level of development.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
No I agree. I think Lias will be a solid middle six forward for a long time. My criticism is directed to the Rangers' front office, not Lias. They need home runs, not singles.
I think Lias’ skill set is essentially Kadri’s skill set, but right now he’s not processing the NHL game fast enough to be fully effective. I still think he can be much more than a single, but even if he is, what about the 3-4 other home run swings they took?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think you’re underrating his skill level. He’s already shown adept passing skills. He’s got a very good shot. And he had a very productive D+1 season last year.

That being said, if Andersson becomes a very good third line player, (the same goes for Howden), due to the Rangers adding more high players like Chytil and Kravtsov, then the Rangers are better off in the long run. Right now, Kadri is a third line center and he was taken 7OA. I think the Rangers would be very satisfied if Andersson reached the Kadri level of development.
That's a misleading statement. Of course the Rangers would be happy if Andersson became Kadri, he's scored at atleast a top-6 forward rate for most of his career, probably 1st line production. He's only a 3C because of who's in front of him, not because of his personal performance. He was the 1C/2C before Matthews and Tavares showed up.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
That's a misleading statement. Of course the Rangers would be happy if Andersson became Kadri, he's scored at atleast a top-6 forward rate for most of his career, probably 1st line production. He's only a 3C because of who's in front of him, not because of his personal performance. He was the 1C/2C before Matthews and Tavares showed up.

And my point is that if the Rangers are able to draft and acquire enough talent ahead of Andersson, then having Andersson become a third liner is not such a bad thing. Would I have preferred a different selection at 7OA? Yes, but Andersson’s critics are underrating his skill level.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And my point is that if the Rangers are able to draft and acquire enough talent ahead of Andersson, then having Andersson become a third liner is not such a bad thing. Would I have preferred a different selection at 7OA? Yes, but Andersson’s critics are underrating his skill level.

I'm hoping the Rangers are able to draft and acquire enough talent so that I don't fall asleep on games, but one can dream.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
He can skate fine. You and the rest of the wanna be scouts on this board are exactly the problem with this fan base. For the first time I can see no FA's wanting to come her because of the negative, condescending attitude of the majority of the fans. Don't look now but our fan base has basically become the Mets. A fan base of know it all, negative angry fans that no player wants to deal with. Every top scouting report I saw said Andersson's scouting was fine. Of course the wanna be scouts here rip it because they think they work for the team.

Well a good portion of us are also Mets fans, so...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Nieves got speed, size and enough hockey sense to be a 4th liner on a rebuilding team.

Is this the kind of validation you’re seeking?

we'll see
he who laughs last laughs best

I was serious. Is there anything i missed?

Yeah.
You missed that because you were dismissive, you rejected w/o good reason any upside Boo may have.
Consistently productive w/+/-
Show better results w/better players

Not right to insist he will always be a 4th liner.

Believe it or not, I'm pulling for both guys
If he is not traded, I see Lias -- who is green but relatively complete except for skating/creativity -- as a W fallback if all pivots are taken. But if we can repurpose his C value into areas of need, we should have an open mind to do that.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Sure, although being Kadri and being a 3c is a big difference.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It wasn’t there in Chytil when he was getting similar fourth line minutes though.

I don’t have a problem with a prospect being up and down in their rookie year like this, but there’s a difference between showing high end skill on the top two lines and showing it on the bottom line. Chytil didn’t start making impressive, skillful plays until he was bumped up.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It wasn’t there in Chytil when he was getting similar fourth line minutes though.

I don’t have a problem with a prospect being up and down in their rookie year like this, but there’s a difference between showing high end skill on the top two lines and showing it on the bottom line. Chytil didn’t start making impressive, skillful plays until he was bumped up.

I very much disagree with this.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I very much disagree with this.
That’s ok.

When Chytil was on the fourth line I saw him trying to play a fourth line game most of the time. Which is probably exactly what he was coached to do. The team doesn’t resolve around these guys, people have to fill the roles available. When a spot opened for him in the top 6 he started playing more creatively, again which is fitting because the role of the top two lines is more about scoring.

Similarly, if Lias had good time with scoring players on a scoring line we’d likely see more creative play out of him. Not the same exact play Chytil shows, they’re different players. But guys on the fourth line play safe fourth line games more often than not, that’s what the coach needs from that group.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That’s ok.

When Chytil was on the fourth line I saw him trying to play a fourth line game most of the time. Which is probably exactly what he was coached to do. The team doesn’t resolve around these guys, people have to fill the roles available. When a spot opened for him in the top 6 he started playing more creatively, again which is fitting because the role of the top two lines is more about scoring.

Similarly, if Lias had good time with scoring players on a scoring line we’d likely see more creative play out of him. Not the same exact play Chytil shows, they’re different players. But guys on the fourth line play safe fourth line games more often than not, that’s what the coach needs from that group.

Yeah. See that’s what I disagree with. Chytil was making good, sometimes impressive, plays pretty often on the 4th line whenever they managed to get the puck into the offensive zone (too rarely). He earned that promotion to more minutes. To me, he’s basically been doing the same things, it’s just that now he’s in the offensive zone more and his line mates can do something with it when he does.

Andersson rarely did anything noticeable when his line managed to get it into the offensive zone.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah. See that’s what I disagree with. Chytil was making good, sometimes impressive, plays pretty often on the 4th line whenever they managed to get the puck into the offensive zone (too rarely). He earned that promotion to more minutes. To me, he’s basically been doing the same things, it’s just that now he’s in the offensive zone more and his line mates can do something with it when he does.

Andersson rarely did anything noticeable when his line managed to get it into the offensive zone.

100% agree and what also is being ignored when comparing 4th line performance from Chytil vs Andersson is their respective play in the defensive and neutral zones. Filip was making these clearing and transitioning plays (and actually he still does) that Lias didn’t. If he did I’d probably prefer that he stayed with the Rangers.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Andersson didn't do enough to get promoted off the 4 th line. That said he's better off at the moment getting big minutes in the AHL. Playing with career 4th liners for 6-8 minutes is not going to teach him how to drive offense. Let him go back play 20 minutes a night and come back in a few months, which is a certainty.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I think Chytil had some moments where he tried to dangle through everyone and make the whole play himself. I'm not sure I consider that a "good" play for the fourth line, though some impressive skills were shown while doing it. Imo he's using his teammates a lot more now and even when he's forcing everything himself, he's now with the right guys to finish those plays or at least make the most of them and create some chances from them.

They're not the same players and their skill plays won't be the same. Chytil can carry end to end and push play by himself, he can set up any warm body on his line and when they whif because they're plugs and not skill players we'll all blame them and not him. Lias' skill plays are more being heady around the net, having good hands in close, finishing chances before the d can clear the crease, etc. Those types of plays can't really be created and finished by the same player. When you're skating with plugs for a few minutes a game, those chances don't really come. Similar to how Chytil was making his chances now and then on the fourth line but they were just kind of useless attempts to skate through a whole team because he was with plugs for a few minutes a game and they didn't have the skills to turn his rushes into anything.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->