Confirmed with Link: Anderson will likely be staying and Greening will be put on waivers.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
To bad to see Greening possibly going. He's a fellow Newfoundlander and Labradorian so I follow his career closely. Still he needs a fresh start.
I know. Greening is such a likable guy too.But he is so gifted and intelligent over and above hockey that after he leaves hockey he will probably have a great career whatever he does.He's not looking at a future of stocking shelves or working in McDonald's.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
McKenzie mentioned Jeff Skinner could be available.

Love the skillset, but he's one big hit away from having his career Kariya'd, and he's got a penchant for keeping his head down at the worst moments.

There's a lot of risk in Skinner, IMO. Not saying I wouldn't want him here, but he's a guy you have to look past the stats with.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I hope he gets picked up so his off our books completly

I fully anticipate him clearing waivers. If someone wants him, it'll be via a trade after he clears.

I can't imagine a scenario where someone takes Greening without wanting to send their own bad contract back to us in return.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Condra greening legwand 1/9MM pageau smith neil philips weir gryba are all tradable in my point of view
We need some sort of shake up I think
Were going no where
Been 2 years now
Just trade 3 or 4 players for 1 if needed but we need Ryans type of deal

That's a fine attitude for a team that Murray tried to draft and develop in-house so Ottawans could be proud of their team, instead of spending to the cap and buying a bunch of outsiders. I'm sure in a few years you'll be saying the same about Peumpel, Robinson, Schneider, McCormick, Prince, Grant, Dizzy, etc.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
To bad to see Greening possibly going. He's a fellow Newfoundlander and Labradorian so I follow his career closely. Still he needs a fresh start.

Unfortunately, unless he's gets bought out, he's not going to get one. He's a healthy scratch making solid third liner money.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Too bad the Greening-Smith-Neil line won't get one last hurrah before Greening gets sent down. :sarcasm:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Love the skillset, but he's one big hit away from having his career Kariya'd, and he's got a penchant for keeping his head down at the worst moments.

There's a lot of risk in Skinner, IMO. Not saying I wouldn't want him here, but he's a guy you have to look past the stats with.

Hence, like Lupul.... He could be available. Injury risk star in a down year on a team spending a lot with poor results. He could be available and for basically futures (good but not great futures) a decent prospect and dumping a much cheaper roster player to clear space on our roster.

Lazar, Hoffman, Stone, Ceci, Cowen, 2015 1st, are not going to be moved. We aren't likely to have the resources to get a Bobby Ryan or +. Or to go after a straight rental since we need to catch lightening in a bottle to get to the playoffs. I think Murray wants to add scoring and add a good scorer for a season or two in addition to the rest of this season. My opinion. I just don't see core young guys getting moved. I don't see us having the resources in that situation to get an A talent. Get a decent B one.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hence, like Lupul.... He could be available. Injury risk star in a down year on a team spending a lot with poor results. He could be available and for basically futures (good but not great futures) a decent prospect and dumping a much cheaper roster player to clear space on our roster.

Lazar, Hoffman, Stone, Ceci, Cowen, 2015 1st, are not going to be moved. We aren't likely to have the resources to get a Bobby Ryan or +. Or to go after a straight rental since we need to catch lightening in a bottle to get to the playoffs. I think Murray wants to add scoring and add a good scorer for a season or two in addition to the rest of this season. My opinion. I just don't see core young guys getting moved. I don't see us having the resources in that situation to get an A talent. Get a decent B one.

Oh yeah, I don't disagree with any of this.

I was just saying that I think there are still some people that see Skinner as he was in his rookie year, and not the player he has become over his 5 NHL seasons. I just wanted to be sure if we were having the Skinner conversation, that we were covering all of our bases.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
A Ryan type deal would mean we lose a player of Silfverberg's level (i.e. Zibanejad/Lazar/Ceci/Cowen/Chiasson), a prospect of Noesen's level (1st round pick/Puempel/Prince) and another pick.

Not sure if it'd really be an improvement. Although I do say we got lucky and Ryan > Silfverberg at this point.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm happy to deal our first. The league is in such a frenzy over this draft that I think we could get better value than it's worth.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
A Ryan type deal would mean we lose a player of Silfverberg's level (i.e. Zibanejad/Lazar/Ceci/Cowen/Chiasson), a prospect of Noesen's level (1st round pick/Puempel/Prince) and another pick.

Not sure if it'd really be an improvement. Although I do say we got lucky and Ryan > Silfverberg at this point.

I don't think those players are really comparable to Silfverberg at the time he was traded. Except Chiasson.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I like Ryan but I think it was foolish to deal Silf. I think the chemistry he developed with ZJ would have outweighed what Ryan brings. Looking back on it would have been better dealing Spetsa for Ryan, if Anaheim would do that deal.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Silfverberg wasn't on the level of zibby, lazar, ceci or cowen. He was closer to chiasson or pageau.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario

Whoa whoa whoa....Zib, Lazar, Ceci and Cowen are all MUCH better prospects than Silf.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

I take "a Ryan type deal" to mean packing up some prospects for a better player that can help us now. I don't think BM meant it so literally that he intends on giving up the exact same level of assets for the exact same type of player.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Ryan > silfverberg at any point ever.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Noesen was really hyped too. He was seen as our top 6 future powerforward in the mold of Dustin Brown.

At the time of the Ryan trade, it was viewed by many that we paid very heavy for Ryan. So far things have worked out great for us.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Noesen was really hyped too. He was seen as our top 6 future powerforward in the mold of Dustin Brown.

At the time of the Ryan trade, it was viewed by many that we paid very heavy for Ryan. So far things have worked out great for us.

They really did. We got what we asked for in Ryan but on the other hand the Ducks have been unlucky with the players sent back. Noesen may never play an NHL game and Silfverberg got injured last year and really hasn't continued growing his game thus far. Ritchie will likely become a good NHL player but even then I think we've got the better end of that deal. Surely, If Silf would've progressed as anticipated and Noesen wouldn't have been struggling with big injuries the story may be different.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Only Chiasson, Puempel and Prince fits the bill you are talking about. Our first this year is worth a lot more than any asset we gave up for Ryan.

Chiasson + Prince + 2nd in 2015 gets you a very good young top-6 forward IMO.

Noesen could have become a player but he was already in injury troubles and the first round pick was supposed to be lower... although it was still a weak draft in the end.

There's no way you can obtain a Bobby Ryan and not pay a heavy price. Would you trade him now for Silfverberg + Ritchie + Ducks 1st? (better package than what we paid)

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Friedman brought up an interesting point. Anderson's body of work before becoming a starter at around 31 was not that have. He was averaging something line 33 games a year. He thinks that Murray and co might not think there's much wear and tear on his body. And he could play for more than a few more years. Interesting.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Would you guys trade Lehner as part of a package to get us a top 6? Just curious.

Only if it was in a package for a relatively young 1st line forward. We would also need a goalie back in the deal as we have none in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad