Confirmed with Link: Anderson traded for Domi (UPD: signed, 2 yrs, $5.3m/yr)

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
This is the kind of gut reaction to expect from us Jackets fans, where we just assume that everyone wants to leave at the nearest opportunity.

I'm a bit relieved in a way, two years gives us a chance to build a long term relationship without having to commit to Domi over the long run before we're sure about the fit. I really don't want to give $30m to a guy when we don't know if Torts can stomach his weaknesses.

I could legit see Torts and Domi working out beautifully. Obviously it also could not. But based on what I've read, and the interview above, Domi wants his coach to be straight with him - and Torts will def do that.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
This is the kind of gut reaction to expect from us Jackets fans, where we just assume that everyone wants to leave at the nearest opportunity.

I'm a bit relieved in a way, two years gives us a chance to build a long term relationship without having to commit to Domi over the long run before we're sure about the fit. I really don't want to give $30m to a guy when we don't know if Torts can stomach his weaknesses.
Well Bob, Panarin, Duchene are difficult to forget. You’re probably right though.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
For 2 years, $5m AAV would be perfect, but it is what it is, we need to re-sign PLD, Gavrikov and potentially add someone to the wings

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
2 years is a bit of a shame, and obviously brings up thoughts of him leaving via UFA, but oh well. I'm choosing to look at the trade as we got a 2C + a 3rd for nothing that provided value to us over the last year.

Reactions: thebus88

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Cap hit is solid. Would have preferred a longer term deal buying at least some UFA term though. If he doesn't work out then trade him.

Two years could be a very interesting time for the Jackets with Jones, Jenner, Nuti, Kukan, Harrington and now Domi set to be UFAs. Werenski will also be an RFA.

EDIT: And as CPTN71 noted below -- both goalies will be UFA. Wow.

Reactions: thebus88 and CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
UFA at the same time as Jones, Jenner & both goalies (though 1 of those goalies is probably gone by then anyway) .. Werenski an RFA

And a few others

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Cap hit is solid. Would have preferred a longer term deal buying at least some UFA term though. If he doesn't work out then trade him.

Two years could be a very interesting time for the Jackets with Jones, Jenner, Nuti, Kukan, Harrington and now Domi set to be UFAs. Werenski will also be an RFA.

this says to me that Jarmo sees a two year window with this group, not surprised he’s going to go after Hall now

Reactions: Toe Pick

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I’m just spitballing here, so give me a little slack.

Teams (CBJ in case of Domi), and others don’t want to go long term because of the uncertainty of their revenue stream because of COVID keeping fans from the building. Plus they want the flexibility that a shorter term provides.

Players want shorter terms also. Who wants to sign a 6-7 year contract when the first 2 years are at a guaranteed flat cap. Their last couple years of contract could be a dramatically smaller % of total cap. They want another bite. Also, in 2 years the US television package is up. The rights fee could jump dramatically. That also could push the cap up. Those signing long-term in 2020 could miss another opportunity at more $$$.

But I’m just a fan. .....and an Old Guy too.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Teams (CBJ in case of Domi), and others don’t want to go long term because of the uncertainty of their revenue stream because of COVID keeping fans from the building. Plus they want the flexibility that a shorter term provides.

Players want shorter terms also. Who wants to sign a 6-7 year contract when the first 2 years are at a guaranteed flat cap. Their last couple years of contract could be a dramatically smaller % of total cap. They want another bite. Also, in 2 years the US television package is up. The rights fee could jump dramatically. That also could push the cap up. Those signing long-term in 2020 could miss another opportunity at more $$$.

I think this is spot on.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

I think this is spot on.

so adding Mr. Taylor Hall is probably a pipe dream... and that’s ok.

sasquatchBob

Jul 17, 2019
Maybe Habs added pick to the trade because it was agreed that Domi will take the short term deal?

Anyway, I think Domi will end up being really good in CBJ system. You guys are looking for fire power and he will be given opportunity to prove himself to be that. His relationship with Torts is also something that will be interesting to see.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Maybe Habs added pick to the trade because it was agreed that Domi will take the short term deal?

Anyway, I think Domi will end up being really good in CBJ system. You guys are looking for fire power and he will be given opportunity to prove himself to be that. His relationship with Torts is also something that will be interesting to see.
Surely both GMs probably gave each other an idea of what the potentially acquired player was looking for, not to mention sharing the same agent.. or would this not be allowed?

Kellen

Apr 17, 2019
Was he an RFA? Or did he have a year left - meaning does this deal start now or next season ?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I feel better after hearing the explanation from Jarmo. Seems to make sense in a flat cap world and gives the team some flexibility. Also Ferris confirmed they were only going to agree to 1 year with the Habs

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It's really weird that they went for 2 years. The AAV is more than fair, and I'm happy to see that. But walking him straight to UFA is a questionable strategy, even after hearing his explanation. Very interested to see what Anderson ends up with.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You love to say this. Where is the link or ANY info that Jarmo was realistically looking or trying to bring Bobby back?

Are you basing it all on simple status quo professional answers that Jarmo gives?

Bobby was pouting and playing badly enough on his own, how do you think he would have handled a “He known our plans” quote, from Jarmo??

I've provided this link to you every time you've asked for it and you continue to either ignore it or forget it. Here it is, once again.

Sergei Bobrovsky further details why he left the Columbus, rocky relationship with Torts - Article - BARDOWN

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
2 years makes sense. Think about it. We have Foudy and Texier as potential second line centers. 2 years from now, we may not have a need for Domi. It makes sense given the young depth.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad