Confirmed with Link: Anderson to Habs for Domi and a 3rd II

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The fact that the habs need a Crosby more than an Anderson is a logical fallacy. That is absolutely absurd logic.

The rest of your points come off as contradictory, Anderson is a missing piece for sure. He's not the Mcdavid literally every team could use that's for sure. Neither is Domi.

The guy thinks 100 point players get traded every other day, not one of the 30 nhl teams did it lol
WHO HAS even done it..? Yeah.
But the habs are idiots for improving our size on the wing lmao

It is absolutely useless to debate with him, he will never understand.
Let him whine.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
With Anderson, I think part of the value is going to be defined in other ways. Of course, he still has to show that he belongs in the top 6, so there will a certain degree of competency expected from the point production standpoint, but that bar does not have to be set at 30 goals.

Other measures to consider are not as easily defined, such as whether he can create more offensive zone time through successful forechecks, and getting pucks loose..... less "one and done" types of shifts for Montreal. Retrieving pucks off forechecks, and winning pucks in board battles or loose pucks in the trenches has definitely been an issue for most of Montreal's forwards IMO.

Can he create more chaos in the tough areas, and liberate the smaller skilled guys a bit more to have better looks, and not to have them pre-occupied spending so much time in trying to regain puck possession themselves.

Part of the measure for me is not so much about how many goals Anderson scores, but whether his teammates are able to get more scoring opportunities as a result of what he brings. This may not reflect in his goals and assists, but it could have a positive impact on his linemates production.

With the number they arrived at contract wise, it seems to me that the anderson party looked at Tom Wilson as the comparable, and that is probably what Bergevin thinks he is paying for. As with Wilson, his entire value won't be wrapped up solely in goals and assists.

Beautifully said, couldn’t agree with you more.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The guy thinks 100 point players get traded every other day, not one of the 30 nhl teams did it lol

Let him whine.

I think his point is simply that the Habs need high end talent up front, not that we need a player that specifically scored 100pts.
A guy like Taylor Hall who's hit 90pts before and can produce at a ppg pace is available. We would need him more than an Anderson, but I have no issues getting someone who can become our version of Wilson or the old Lucic. Personally I just don't like the contract.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Anderson is Anderson. He doesn't have to become any of the players that you named. He's already an established NHL player with his own identity. Some of you are talking like if he was an unproven prospect playing his first NHL games.. :laugh:

Prior to last year playing injured, he had seasons of
  • 17 goals in 78 games, 147 hits
  • 19 goals in 63 games, 109 hits
  • 27 goals in 82 games, 214 hits
He's already shown what he can do and what kind of player he is. Whether he continues in that upward trend trajectory or can maintain that level of production for the next 7 years is the question mark.

It is a risky and lengthy contract, but it's also not totally unjustified. If we absolutely have to find him a comparable, the closest one is Tom Wilson by far. There aren't too many other players in the league with that combination of size, speed, physicality and ability to score.

Tom Wilson signed his $31M for 6 years contract after three seasons of 7, 7 and 14 goals respectively, along with a good playoffs run. He never hit 20 goals before signing that contract. Since then, he's had two consecutive 20+ goals seasons. I don't think anyone in Washington is complaining about that contract right now.

A lot of the so called "power forwards" players examples with the "on the decline after age 28" type of arguments that I see mentioned around here are players known to be average to bad skaters. The worst example I keep seeing is David Clarkson.

It doesn't apply to Anderson, known for his speed. He'll be 32 when the last year of his contract kicks in. In terms of his skating abilities, he reminds me of Erik Cole, a power forward who by the way had a career year playing in Montreal around age 32.

Tom Wilson had exploded in the POs before his extension with 15pts in 21gp. He was trending up and healthy. Even then though, it was a gamble, like Bryan Bickell. Turned out good for the Caps so far, that doesn't mean it will for us and Anderson.

You bring up his goal totals but he's not one to rack up the assists apparently, which is why he only broke the 40pt mark once. He's also coming off a bad injury and only scored 1 goal last season in 26gp.
I'll be very happy if he becomes our Tom Wilson but his contract is a big risk.

Reactions: Shabs and Be a Hab

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
The guy scored 27 two years ago with almost no PP time. He was not playing with Panarin either. Yes, the guy can reach 30 goals. he did not lose his talent overnite.

I like the trade and I like the player. All I’m saying is I don’t expect him to be a 30 goal scorer.

I think he’s going to be a wonderful fit. I’m just not ready to label the guy a 30 goal scorer.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The fact that the habs need a Crosby more than an Anderson is a logical fallacy. That is absolutely absurd logic.

The rest of your points come off as contradictory, Anderson is a missing piece for sure. He's not the Mcdavid literally every team could use that's for sure. Neither is Domi.
you should not talk about logical fallacies ans missing pieces in the same post, you know...

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Tom Wilson had exploded in the POs before his extension with 15pts in 21gp. He was trending up and healthy. Even then though, it was a gamble, like Bryan Bickell. Turned out good for the Caps so far, that doesn't mean it will for us and Anderson.

You bring up his goal totals but he's not one to rack up the assists apparently, which is why he only broke the 40pt mark once. He's also coming off a bad injury and only scored 1 goal last season in 26gp.
I'll be very happy if he becomes our Tom Wilson but his contract is a big risk.

His contract his definitely risky, but I think we can say that most long-term contracts have a certain risk to them. I think giving out a contract to a player who is lost likely going to hover between the 40-50 points per season makes it a bit riskier. I’m not sure his intangibles that he has now at age 26 will still be as effective 5 years from but we can’t forget the way MB structured Anderson’s contract protected him for the last 2 years of Anderson’s 7 year contract.

In the last 2 years of Anderson’s contract he has a 5 team no trade list and is owed less money than his cap hit which will make him easier to move if need be.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Let him whine.
You should try understanding the post you read before commenting on people who wrote it. At least im not pretending Anderson is turning us into contenders like you are.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
You can expect a guy that can skate, hit win battles along the boards and has a scoring touch. We had to many players that resembled Max Domi so we traded him for a player that we had none of, A power forward. If you like the player Tom Wilson is that you like Anderson.

I love Tom Wilson ... when he plays with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov. I would not love him nearly as much if he would play with either Suzuki and Drouin or Danault and Tatar. Tom Wilson would simply not be a good fit with two non elite players (debatable for Kuznetsov but he's certainly very close to be elite).

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I love Tom Wilson ... when he plays with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov. I would not love him nearly as much if he would play with either Suzuki and Drouin or Danault and Tatar. Tom Wilson would simply not be a good fit with two non elite players (debatable for Kuznetsov but he's certainly very close to be elite).
I love him anywhere. His numbers might go up Kuz or Ovechkin but I take guys like that on my team anytime. He fits on any line.

Reactions: Redux91

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
lemme guess, you do that and I dont ? :laugh:
You implied that people basically talk out of their arses about Anderson because they barely saw him play and I told you that a lot of people that post here are really passionate about hockey and watch a ton of games and games of rival teams also.

Reactions: dralaf

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
yeah sure, no doubt there's tons of Habs fans who watch, not just other teams, but the Columbus Blue Jackets... yup, just like there's tons of people watching Arizona... :laugh::laugh:

you're funny.

Even if you never watched any CBJ games, the games we played against them over the years should be enough to get a real good glimpse of what Anderson can bring to a team.

You can go read old GDT MTLvsCBJ and I'm pretty sure there're tons of "Man that Anderson guy looks great out there" or "This team needs a guy like Anderson badly" or "Anderson is all over the ice!".

Anyways, if you have no idea what you're talking about just don't talk about it.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Even if you never watched any CBJ games, the games we played against them over the years should be enough to get a real good glimpse of what Anderson can bring to a team.

You can go read old GDT MTLvsCBJ and I'm pretty sure there're tons of "Man that Anderson guy looks great out there" or "This team needs a guy like Anderson badly" or "Anderson is all over the ice!".

Anyways, if you have no idea what you're talking about just don't talk about it.
come on man, Habs played maybe a 12/15 of games against CLB since Anderson made the NHL, including the year he played only 26 games...

I suggest you follow your own advice, you're just making up stuff as you go now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Putting Anderson on a third line is a waste of talent (and money). Suzuki and Drouin or Tatar will play way more confortably with a guy like Anderson on their RW. Look at Wilson in Washington.

Tom Wilson never scored much on his own, it was never a question to Washington if Wilson would be more effective without elite linemates.

The better comparable is Alex Tuch in Vegas, not really a great scorer but he was huge in the playoffs, certainly the Knights' best LW. They were never like "let's move him up the lineup, he's going to waste on the third line". If you're scoring on the third line, then you shouldn't be replaced by someone who can't score on the third line. A player who scores 27 goals on the third line is worth more than someone who scores 35 on the top line.

The reason we don't normally put good goal scorers on the third line is because they can't score much there, or their talent scales up really well surrounded by better talent. Neither is true in Josh's case. He'll score with anyone and Suzuki isn't going to help him as much as he could help others, though perhaps Anderson will prove to be a bigger help to the smaller top six guys using his physicality.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
come on man, Habs played maybe a 12/15 of games against CLB since Anderson made the NHL, including the year he played only 26 games...

I suggest you follow your own advice, you're just making up stuff as you go now.

How many games do you need to notice someone on the ice? I mean the dude was a standout all the time even if he was playing in a somewhat limited role.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Everyone is hoping he will justify his contract, but he will easily over-deliver and all of you chronic worrying jabronis will regret ever doubting him.
If20BvY.png

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That's one place where Anderson has the edge on Tom Wilson. Tom Wilson never scored 10 goals on his own, for years, before getting put on the top line. Anderson scored 27 goals with Boone Jenner as his center. Anderson's 20 5v5 goals was tied for 28th in the league that year.

And after most of those games there was a "MTL/CBJ" or "Anderson to MTL" thread on the trade boards.

Not a lot of viewings obviously but the strong want for the player was there.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Everyone is hoping he will justify his contract, but he will easily over-deliver and all of you chronic worrying jabronis will regret ever doubting him.
If20BvY.png

This might be the first time we agree...

I do think the gamble was worth it and he will do even better than he did in that tight offense suffocating Columbus system, not that our system is offense orientated but I think we're not stiffening the game and clogging the neutral zone as much as Columbus.

Our system is based on speed and fast transitioning and Anderson has that in spades, expect quite a number of breakaways from his part next year.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
That's one place where Anderson has the edge on Tom Wilson. Tom Wilson never scored 10 goals on his own, for years, before getting put on the top line. Anderson scored 27 goals with Boone Jenner as his center. Anderson's 20 5v5 goals was tied for 28th in the league that year.

And after most of those games there was a "MTL/CBJ" or "Anderson to MTL" thread on the trade boards.

Not a lot of viewings obviously but the strong want for the player was there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad