Confirmed with Link: Anderson re-signed (3 yrs, $4.2 AAV)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Just my opinion but I think this is even worse than the Phillips re-signing and will cement the legacy of Bryan Murray as a failed GM.

I don't think so. It provides an experienced and competent veteran goaltender for the next 4 years while retaining a younger high potential goaltender who can apprentice on the job. Anderson can be a great mentor for Lehner.

Regarding Phillips, i think he is competent as a 5-6 defence man now and hopefully for the next two years. However, i would prefer to give the younger defence men like Wiercioch, Ceci, Cowen and Gryba the opportunity to get NHL game experience, as the Senators are not yet sufficiently skilled and ready to compete in the playoffs. If Phillips' play significantly deteriorates in the next two years, the Senators could sit him out and/or suggest he retire, or ask him to accept a trade to another team if he wants to continue playing. I am not sure if the Senators can buy him out. Does anyone know the buyout rules for someone at Phillips age and contract situation?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Posters on the main board can't give us a break. Say owner isn't committed. Spends boatload of money signing Mac at a fair deal. claim he is a 3rd liner and we need to get to the cap floor. Sign Andy for a reasonable deal giving him a healthy raise. Claim overpayment and have spent all the money that was left to resign Ryan.

Who gives a ****ing **** about what the posters on the main boards say? I use to care what the main boards said, but that is until i found out that everyone is delusional over there.

On Andy, i say it might be 1 year too long honestly. Other than that though, i can't complain. I just hope this deal does not get in the way of Lehner becoming a starter. If Lehner vastly improves next season and the season after that and is ready to be a starter, i hope Andy will be fine with becoming the backup instead of acting like Brodeur.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It's a great deal in a vacuum (a Dyson, at least!). Let's hope it leaves us enough room to extend Ryan, Methot and (one can dream) a top-2 D next year to pair with Karlsson on the PP.

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
Who gives a ****ing **** about what the posters on the main boards say? I use to care what the main boards said, but that is until i found out that everyone is delusional over there.

On Andy, i say it might be 1 year too long honestly. Other than that though, i can't complain. I just hope this deal does not get in the way of Lehner becoming a starter. If Lehner vastly improves next season and the season after that and is ready to be a starter, i hope Andy will be fine with becoming the backup instead of acting like Brodeur.

HAHAHAH....do you remember the media criticism when we signed Anderson's last contract? Same old, same old. First Pierre Maguire said Anderson probably wouldn't re-sign, then when he did said the term was too long! :laugh:

Karlsson2Turris*

This summer has been sort of like the summer of 2011. Media, fans, everybody thinking the sens will flop next year and a big name will want out. In 2011 it was Spezza/Alfie now it is Ryan and to some extent Karlsson. The hope we have is Paul Maclean, he took a team with Colin Greening on the top line to the playoffs. Anything can happen with that man behind the bench.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I really like this deal. My biggest fear was the team would opt to not re-sign Andy in order to save cash for the other UFAs.

Thats wasn't my fear, thats why I am angry now actually, if we could afford to give 4.2 million to anderson there is no excuse to not sign Ryan.

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
This summer has been sort of like the summer of 2011. Media, fans, everybody thinking the sens will flop next year and a big name will want out. In 2011 it was Spezza/Alfie now it is Ryan and to some extent Karlsson. The hope we have is Paul Maclean, he took a team with Colin Greening on the top line to the playoffs. Anything can happen with that man behind the bench.

Are you saying Trustache?

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007

Key point.

I understand why you think that, however I think that extra year is very important for a few reasons:

1.) Gives the team a bit more time to develop Lehner and provides a buffer in case things don't immediately work out.
2.) Loyalty concession for Anderson. Giving him an extra year as reward for his time in Ottawa... pays off in the long run to show players that the team is willing to negotiate.
3.) Trade value. If everything does work out, a 36 year old starting goaltender on an expiring contract does have some trade value for teams that are in the hunt for the playoffs.

Good deal, but I'll be honest, I didn't expect this to happen yet. Methot and Ryan seemed a higher priority.

Last edited:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Key point.

I understand why you think that, however I think that extra year is very important for a few reasons:

1.) Gives the team a bit more time to develop Lehner and provides buffer in case things don't immediately work out.
2.) Loyalty concession of Anderson. Giving him an extra year as reward for his time in Ottawa... pays off in the long run to show players that the team is willing to negotiate.
3.) Trade value. If everything does work out, a 36 year old starting goaltender on an expiring contract does have some trade value for teams that are in the hunt for the playoffs.

Good deal, but I'll be honest, I didn't expect this to happen yet. Methot and Ryan seemed a higher priority.

I would add a 4th point to this list, which is good by the way. I think another benefit of the extra season is that it means that contracts for both of our goalies do not end at the same time. The team is in a far more secure place with staggered contracts.

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
I would add a 4th point to this list, which is good by the way. I think another benefit of the extra season is that it means that contracts for both of our goalies do not end at the same time. The team is in a far more secure place with staggered contracts.

Great point. Didn't think about that.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I don't think it's a good deal, but I also don't consider it a bad one.

My only concern is that it's perhaps a year too long. Anderson's already starting to get up there in age.

Not a lot to get upset about though.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I wonder if the org was upfront and said "we'll trade you if Lehner takes off"? That's a decent situation for the team and andy. Everybody gets some insurance and I could totally see him signing under those circumstances.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Thats wasn't my fear, thats why I am angry now actually, if we could afford to give 4.2 million to anderson there is no excuse to not sign Ryan.

I think its a good sign that the team is willing to spend that kinda cake on Anderson. If it came down to choosing between the two, who in their right mind would pick andy? And I'm a fan of his. THe best goaltending Ottawa has had since Lalime's prime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad