Injury Report: Anderson Injury - Sprained Ankle, Update: 4 April 2013 - Ready to Go!

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I had a high-ankle sprain last summer. I could easily go about my day but it would limit my physical activities. It took 6 weeks to heal fully. Its only been about a month for Andy, and these usually take about 8+ weeks to heal.

I'm a Devils fan and was looking for some info on Anderson's injury but now that I see you're saying it's a high ankle sprain I think I can offer some insight. I'm a goalie and had a high ankle sprain a little over 8 weeks ago. The problem is that by the six week mark I was back to normal as far as running and lower body lifts go but dropping in a butterfly still really hurt. Even if you can deal with the pain, your mobility is severely limited in any situation where you need to scramble after the initial shot. The most frustrating part about a high ankle sprain for a goalie is that your recovery seems to plateau when you're feeling about 75-80 percent. It'll probably be another two weeks before Anderson is back to normal and since Bishop and Lehner are playing well in his absence, the Sens would be wise to err on the side of caution.

Anyway, here's to a good game tonight. I'm sure Bishop will play like he's Glenn Hall against the Devils again.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Is there any indication of what might happen with Lehner when Anderson returns?

If Bishop isn't traded, I imagine he'd head back to Bingo..

Or it stays a three-headed monster in net.. I dunno, we'll see what happens.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I'm a Devils fan and was looking for some info on Anderson's injury but now that I see you're saying it's a high ankle sprain I think I can offer some insight. I'm a goalie and had a high ankle sprain a little over 8 weeks ago. The problem is that by the six week mark I was back to normal as far as running and lower body lifts go but dropping in a butterfly still really hurt. Even if you can deal with the pain, your mobility is severely limited in any situation where you need to scramble after the initial shot. The most frustrating part about a high ankle sprain for a goalie is that your recovery seems to plateau when you're feeling about 75-80 percent. It'll probably be another two weeks before Anderson is back to normal and since Bishop and Lehner are playing well in his absence, the Sens would be wise to err on the side of caution.

Anyway, here's to a good game tonight. I'm sure Bishop will play like he's Glenn Hall against the Devils again.

Good to know that it's not unordinary for him to be out this long. :)

jordan7hm

Aug 31, 2007
After April 3rd the 23 man roster limit is removed. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept all three if they were unable to trade one of them.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Good to know that it's not unordinary for him to be out this long. :)

Yeah eight weeks seems to be pretty standard for a goalie coming back from a high ankle sprain. Both from my experience and a few NHL goalies who have dealt with it (MAF in 09 and Leighton in 2010).

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
After April 3rd the 23 man roster limit is removed. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept all three if they were unable to trade one of them.

nah, i imagine the goal once andy is healthy will be to give him as many games as possible to get back into a rythm for the playoffs.

no sense in letting both backups go rusty. Keep lehner fresh in the AHL.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Why assume he'll play? Does he have supreme ability to regrow achilles tendon cartilage?

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
anyone hear ol' chum talking on the pregame show last night? donovan said that when he was with ottawa, damian rhodes was playing really well, their highest paid player, and then he had a high ankle sprain, and that was it. he was never the same, he never fully recovered. he'd have stretches where it was relatively ok and he'd play well, but then he'd tweak it again and that'd be it. it was scary to hear. maybe the treatment is better now or maybe anderson's isn't as bad as rhodes' was or maybe andy is tougher than rhodes was (not too difficult to envision that...), but it was scary to hear that there is a possibility that andy might never fully recover from this. simpson said the same thing. as a goalie, a high ankle sprain is one of the very worst injuries you can get. we can't trade a goalie this year.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
anyone hear ol' chum talking on the pregame show last night? donovan said that when he was with ottawa, damian rhodes was playing really well, their highest paid player, and then he had a high ankle sprain, and that was it. he was never the same, he never fully recovered. he'd have stretches where it was relatively ok and he'd play well, but then he'd tweak it again and that'd be it. it was scary to hear. maybe the treatment is better now or maybe anderson's isn't as bad as rhodes' was or maybe andy is tougher than rhodes was (not too difficult to envision that...), but it was scary to hear that there is a possibility that andy might never fully recover from this. simpson said the same thing. as a goalie, a high ankle sprain is one of the very worst injuries you can get. we can't trade a goalie this year.
Yeah, I mentioned it earlier, I had a high ankle in one of my last year's of competitive hockey. After 6 weeks I returned but I was gimpy as heck - had no business being on the ice. It was MONTHS before I really felt better.

But, of course, there are varying degrees of sprains and I think it waaaaay too extreme to think he'll never be the same. But I agree we should be careful to assume he'll be 100% this season. Glad we have sick depth.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
it's not just "months" though. chum suggested he was NEVER able to really recover.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
it's not just "months" though. chum suggested he was NEVER able to really recover.
and I think that comment is either hyperbole or wrong. I've never heard of a sprained ankle never fully healing. It certainly would be an exception to the norm.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I thought Rhodes was never the same because of a hard divorce or something like that.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
and I think that comment is either hyperbole or wrong. I've never heard of a sprained ankle never fully healing. It certainly would be an exception to the norm.

well, take it from two NHL players, one of whom was a teammate of a guy who had a high ankle sprain. a HIGH sprain is a different animal than just a garden variety ankle sprain.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Andy taking low shots today and apparently looking fine. Shouldn't be too long now, maybe even this weekend.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until some time next week unless Bishop gets traded of course, to let Anderson get as much practise time as he needs to be ready & sharp again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad