Proposal: Andersen

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
I’ll agree but it depends if you’re including some of the prospects entering the league like shesterkin sorokin Demko etc who may push him out

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well yeah and he’s more proven as well. But the age difference is quite a lot. Not that it matters too much with goalies

Proven? What?
The guy played 13 nhl games and 25 ahl games. That's nothing. No sample size at all.

Georgiev is younger and played 77 nhl games and 48 ahl games. He's the one you wanna go for and the one available anyway.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Proven? What?
The guy played 13 nhl games and 25 ahl games. That's nothing. No sample size at all.

Georgiev is younger and played 77 nhl games and 48 ahl games. He's the one you wanna go for and the one available anyway.
Agreed but Shest has been great in the KHL for years and has just been really good albeit the small sample size. If you’re trying to get somebody with way higher upside you go with him instead of Georgiev even if he’s riskier which I don’t think he is at all.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Agreed but Shest has been great in the KHL for years and has just been really good albeit the small sample size. If you’re trying to get somebody with way higher upside you go with him instead of Georgiev even if he’s riskier which I don’t think he is at all.

KHL isn't the same as NHL. And who says Shesterkin's upside is higher? Based on what? They're the same age...in fact Georgiev is even younger. They're the same size but if anyones technique, mobility or positioning is better, it's probably Georgiev. I don't usually like small goaltenders as they tend to get figured out when playing more (eg Binnington) but Georgiev appears to be rather solid thanks to his excellent skillset and mobility. He also received praise for it from Lundqvist already.

Shesterkin would worry me. Small goalie without track record in North America. There's nothing he's better at than Georgiev except moving the puck. But Binnington is good at moving pucks, too...doesn't help the Blues much though now that he got figured out and exploded...

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
KHL isn't the same as NHL. And who says Shesterkin's upside is higher? Based on what? They're the same age...in fact Georgiev is even younger. They're the same size but if anyones technique, mobility or positioning is better, it's probably Georgiev. I don't usually like small goaltenders as they tend to get figured out when playing more (eg Binnington) but Georgiev appears to be rather solid thanks to his excellent skillset and mobility. He also received praise for it from Lundqvist already.

Shesterkin would worry me. Small goalie without track record in North America. There's nothing he's better at than Georgiev except moving the puck. But Binnington is good at moving pucks, too...doesn't help the Blues much though now that he got figured out and exploded...
Woah lol. How can you say his technique and mobility is better? What are you watching? To me there’s a short list of goaltenders with better IQ or athleticism than him. You can learn those other things at a $400 goaltending camp(Or if you’re Robin Lehner, defer all the above).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrfenn92

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Proven? What?

One thing this thread has taught me, is that you know absolutely nothing about goalies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
One thing this thread has taught me, is that you know absolutely nothing about goalies.

I guess you played too much NHL20:laugh:

When was the last time an nhl team traded for a smallish European goalie with no track record in North America?

I'll answer that for you. In reality, trades like that just don't happen. Plus, the Rangers are not even looking to trade Shesterkin...firstly because they know that nobody would give up anything significant for him and secondly because Quinn values his puckhandling ability...something Georgiev and Lundqvist can't really do.

Speaking of smallish goalies...I knew Binnington would explode...how many others did? Since you know so much more about goalies than I do...did you know?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

When was the last time an nhl team traded for a smallish European goalie with no track record in North America?

I'll answer that for you. In reality, trades like that just don't happen. Plus, the Rangers are not even looking to trade Shesterkin...firstly because they know that nobody would give up anything significant for him and secondly because Quinn values his puckhandling ability...something Georgiev and Lundqvist can't really do.

Speaking of smallish goalies...I knew Binnington would explode...how many others did? Since you know so much more about goalies than I do...did you know?

Any proof that you knew?

Also, Shesterkin has real value.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Proven? What?

Georgiev screams to me a guy that is going to be a career back up, shows some potential but not consistent enough...I would be a hard pass on him and would rather take our chances on UFA and not lose assests..

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

I haven't played any?

When was the last time a top goalie prospect with limited NHL time was traded? I'm not even sure what you are arguing here. What I argued was you saying we should go for Georgiev instead of Shesterkin as if he is the better goalie because he has played in the NHL more. You may be the only person in the world who would rather have Georgiev over Shesterkin. Shesterkin is a top 3 goalie prospect in the NHL with potential to be one of the best in the game, Georgiev is a back up with potential to be a starter some day.

As for Binnington, sure you did.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I haven't played any?

When was the last time a top goalie prospect with limited NHL time was traded? I'm not even sure what you are arguing here. What I argued was you saying we should go for Georgiev instead of Shesterkin as if he is the better goalie because he has played in the NHL more. You may be the only person in the world who would rather have Georgiev over Shesterkin. Shesterkin is a top 3 goalie prospect in the NHL with potential to be one of the best in the game, Georgiev is a back up with potential to be a starter some day.

As for Binnington, sure you did.

No, I don't think the Blackhawks should trade for Georgiev. I just don't see why Shesterkin should have higher upside than Georgiev when they're the same size and he does nothing better except moving the puck. It's just a narrative without any actual evidence or reason, probably because Shesterkin was a 4th round pick while Georgiev went undrafted.

It was suggested here to trade for Shesterkin but that won't happen. No team is gonna trade anything significant for a smallish European goalie without track record on North American ice. I don't think it ever happened and it's certainly not gonna happen with Shesterkin. Some team is gonna trade for Georgiev though because he showed enough for teams to be confident they're getting a cost controlled 1b at least.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
No, I don't think the Blackhawks should trade for Georgiev. I just don't see why Shesterkin should have higher upside than Georgiev when they're the same size and he does nothing better except moving the puck. It's just a narrative without any actual evidence or reason, probably because Shesterkin was a 4th round pick while Georgiev went undrafted.

It was suggested here to trade for Shesterkin but that won't happen. No team is gonna trade anything significant for a smallish European goalie without track record on North American ice. I don't think it ever happened and it's certainly not gonna happen with Shesterkin. Some team is gonna trade for Georgiev though because he showed enough for teams to be confident they're getting a cost controlled 1b at least.
There are two reasons teams would trade for Georgiev over Shesterkin.

Georgiev will be cheaper to acquire
NYR would rather trade Georgiev than Shesterkin

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Andersen had worse numbers seeing a lot less shots per game this season (and career numbers are worse). At best this would be a lateral move from 3.5M/1yr (Initial Crawford Offer) to 5M/1yr (What's left on Andersen's deal). Hard no thank you.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There are two reasons teams would trade for Georgiev over Shesterkin.

Georgiev will be cheaper to acquire
NYR would rather trade Georgiev than Shesterkin

The 2nd is true, but mostly knowing they can get more for Georgiev because he's proven to be reliable. Quinn liking Shesterkin's puck handling skills may also play into this but I don't see it as the main reason. And again, name me only one trade where an NHL team traded valuable assets for a smallish, unproven Euro goalie. It just doesn't happen except for EA Sports games:laugh:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The 2nd is true, but mostly knowing they can get more for Georgiev because he's proven to be reliable. Quinn liking Shesterkin's puck handling skills may also play into this but I don't see it as the main reason. And again, name me only one trade where an NHL team traded valuable assets for a smallish, unproven Euro goalie. It just doesn't happen except for EA Sports games:laugh:
I can't tell you the last time a team traded a top 5 goalie prospect, which is where Shesterkins value is, so it's a dumb question but i'll answer it anyway. Tukka Rask was traded for Andrew Raycroft (you know, the ROY goalie) but this isn't really the argument.

The argument is that you think Georgiev is the better goalie, which is LOL funny.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad