Injury Report: Andersen Upper-Body Injury

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Of course it is possible. But he is not an unknown entity so he does not have the Murray thing going on. And he does not have the Blues top 5 defense to save his *ss either. We got a Leafs defense which is bottom 5 in the NHL.
My point was Freddy is best we got and we have to support him whether we like him deep down or not.
Would i like to have a Price, a Rask, a Bobbo, a Holtby yes I would. But I realize getting a guy like that is next to impossible.
So let's hope for the best.
If it does not happen this playoffs and we don't make it or we are out again 1st round then we need to change it up this summer and move in a different direction.
We need to hope and pray refs call every penalty by the regular season books and we can outscore teams in the playoffs. This is our best formula right now.

How does Murry being an unknown even matter at all. If a goalie is playing like a top 5 who cares if no one knew them before.

Now the whole narrative has changed. Andersen can easily play like a Top 5 goalie in the league (for a stretch) and has before, That was the discussion (I thought).

Even these guys you mention (Price, Rask, Bobbo, Holtby) this year they aren't blowing Andersen out of the water (could argue Rask).

PlayerSV%GAA
Tuukka Rask0.9292.15
Carey Price0.9112.75
Frederik Andersen0.912.87
Sergei Bobrovsky0.9013.19
Braden Holtby0.8973.08
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Anyway, the point was Andersen can absolutely play "like a top 5" in this league. Has to get hot at the right time, exactly like the last 5 Stanley cup winners I mentioned.

I have no clue why the refs need to call penalties for Leafs to outscore other teams.

Even strength goals for:

1 - Washington 154
2 - Toronto 149
3 - Tampa 147
4 - Colorado 147
5 - Florida 142

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
How does Murry being an unknown even matter at all. If a goalie is playing like a top 5 who cares if no one knew them before.

Now the whole narrative has changed. Andersen can easily play like a Top 5 goalie in the league (for a stretch) and has before, That was the discussion (I thought).

Even these guys you mention (Price, Rask, Bobbo, Holtby) this year they aren't blowing Andersen out of the water (could argue Rask).

PlayerSV%GAA
Tuukka Rask0.9292.15
Carey Price0.9112.75
Frederik Andersen0.912.87
Sergei Bobrovsky0.9013.19
Braden Holtby0.8973.08
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Anyway, the point was Andersen can absolutely play "like a top 5" in this league. Has to get hot at the right time, exactly like the last 5 Stanley cup winners I mentioned.

I have no clue why the refs need to call penalties for Leafs to outscore other teams.

Even strength goals for:

1 - Washington 154
2 - Toronto 149
3 - Tampa 147
4 - Colorado 147
5 - Florida 142

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It takes some time for shooters to figure a guy out. Where are his weaknesses? What is best way to beat him? But agree he looked top 5 at that time.

The Leafs have 1 major advantage their speed and skill. If that gets neutralized in playoffs with traps/interference/rough ups then games come down to better defensive team and we are out 1st round if we make it. Florida and Boston will eat us alive unless they are in box most of game. That is why we need to face Tampa. Tampa thinks they can outskill us. Now maybe they can but we got a d*mn good chance in a freewheeling game.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wouldn't know whether keeping Babcock was Dubas' decision alone or whether it was that of a larger group including Shanahan.

I don't believe that injuries were Dubas' fault.

Dubas did screw up the backup goalie position last season and still hasn't recovered. He wears that and it's taking too long to fix.
Yeah many things we don’t know. It does seem at times though that Dubas is credited with good things but excused for the not so good because we don’t know who’s actually making the decisions.
I’ll assume the GM is in charge until we hear different.
Obviously not his fault if someone is injured but how they are able to deal with it comes down to him. IMO

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yes yes, dubas is in charge of injuries and ****ty coaching..

He did what he had to, to compensate for Babcock screwing around

So, how do injuries and crappy coaching have anything to do with not having a competent backup goaltender? Who's job is it to get a good backup?

For the record, I'm not in the crucify Dubas camp (if there even is one). I just believe that you need to have accountability in the obvious areas, and not turn a blind eye.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'd hold Andy out till Saturday even if he is cleared to go for Friday. Extra day of rest wouldn't hurt and they are playing the Ducks on Friday. Hutch can handle them. Depends on what happens tonight, though. If they lose, well, that changes my outlook on this.

Reactions: Ratboy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I don't think any of the options are going to be as cheap as most people think. Most of the options that people seem to currently be pushing are goalies that would require the other team to take back a cap dump and still retain salary. No team is going to do that out of the goodness of their hearts. When you get outside of those examples there is not a lot of options left and the other teams all have time on their side.

When it comes to Matthews and Marner (and I will throw Nylander and Tavares in there too) - my main argument is, if you actually care about winning - about having a great team around you - you agree to take a little less. They didn't.

I pretty much agree with the sentiments above. A lot of these trade proposals seem unrealistic & I often don't understand why the potential trading partner would do them.

With the current situation the way it is, they can see Dubas coming to them from 1,000s of miles away. We have a clear & definite need for a better backup, and every GM in the league knows it and will squeeze a little harder to get a good deal for their team. This is a sellers' market. Not sure what's gained by blowing smoke up each others butt.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
See Pittsburgh this year. No Crosby, Letang, Guentzel, Kessel traded, etc.

And Columbus. Out goes Bob, Panarin, Duchene, etc.

Poor excuses.

Agreed. The Columbus situation was far more serious than just injuries.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dubas should use this scare of an injury to Andersen to fix the backup goaltending situation just in case Leafs don't get as lucky next time.

Reactions: ITM

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I'd hold Andy out till Saturday even if he is cleared to go for Friday. Extra day of rest wouldn't hurt and they are playing the Ducks on Friday. Hutch can handle them. Depends on what happens tonight, though. If they lose, well, that changes my outlook on this.
Yeah exactaly sire and and that's how they doing it of course. He day to day and that is like word to word. Friday is only two days from here, hutch finna lock that thang up. He winning us (TWO) great games this week. Andersen only gon win us the saturday game. (3 days from here), (against the canadiens). We winners, for life mayne. :clap:

Reactions: Ratboy

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Not at all a doctor so could be off base here, but feel like neck is a good case scenario. I'd imagine its better than head, shoulder, core and better than anything lower body.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
saying we should have a 1B goalie isn't saying a backup is worthless, its recognizing that Andersen's contract is coming up and we may very well be unable to sign him so we should have someone waiting in the wings who is a little more cap friendly that can take over the 1A role (or at least that's how I see it) Hutchisieve isn't the answer...I hope he proves me wrong but I won't be holding my breath
I'm not extending Andersen at the end of his contract next season at all. He is what he is and he won't get you to the Cup.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
To be fair, Shanny didn’t want Babs fired over the summer. That mistake is on him.
To be fair, had Dubas properly addressed the backup goalie and the defensive situation awhile back, Babcock might very well still have his job right now. Perhaps Keefe is better than Babs but there is no masking the stink that those areas have been emanating for quite some time.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Let's hope he gets out of 1st period tonight...

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm not extending Andersen at the end of his contract next season at all. He is what he is and he won't get you to the Cup.
If he wins us a Cup this year or next all will be forgotten. Let's be honest. Give him the world. If he fails next 2 years then he is done. That's the bottom line.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
See Pittsburgh this year. No Crosby, Letang, Guentzel, Kessel traded, etc.

And Columbus. Out goes Bob, Panarin, Duchene, etc.

Poor excuses.
Good teams overcome injuries, even to key players. But I think we have done that.

On the other hand, you rarely see teams be elite with atrocious goaltending. We wouldn't be in this position if Andersen and Hutchinson had played closer to their career average.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Good teams overcome injuries, even to key players. But I think we have done that.

On the other hand, you rarely see teams be elite with atrocious goaltending. We wouldn't be in this position if Andersen and Hutchinson had played closer to their career average.

With Andersen in net, we play at an incredibly elite 118 point pace

With backups in net, we play at an absolutely abysmal 53 point pace.

There's only one real problem here as you can see, but I'm not surprised in the least you'd try to pin blame on our starting goaltender.

The reality is the backup position has absolutely blown our season for us (so far) and that's nobody's fault but Dubas'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad