Injury Report: Andersen Upper-Body Injury

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
Good teams overcome injuries, even to key players. But I think we have done that.

On the other hand, you rarely see teams be elite with atrocious goaltending. We wouldn't be in this position if Andersen and Hutchinson had played closer to their career average.

I wouldn't say Hutchinson has been atrocious but he's definately been below average. Our defense isn't sharp enough to win with below average goaltending.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
With Andersen in net, we play at an incredibly elite 118 point pace

With backups in net, we play at an absolutely abysmal 53 point pace.

There's only one real problem here as you can see, but I'm not surprised in the least you'd try to pin blame on our starting goaltender.

The reality is the backup position has absolutely blown our season for us (so far) and that's nobody's fault but Dubas'.
I fully expect you will be told that it’s Babcock’s fault for playing the backup when he did as opposed to Dubas not providing an adequate option.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Yeah, because our team scores a ton, not because Andersen has been playing well.

Yet we get the wins all the same. An elite 118 pace worth of wins.

With backups, we don't. A 47 point pace (lol).

Same offence and defence in front, just categorically different results in the win-loss column.

I know you think you're a real "numbers" guy so surely you can appreciate the difference in quality between Andersen and the crap backups we've suffered thus far.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Same offence and defence in front, just categorically different results in the win-loss column.
This isn't actually true; they haven't had identical conditions, and they don't face identical teams, and the team doesn't play identically in front. The backups have been worse for the year, but the gap in points is not representative of their gap in quality, and Andersen's pace in team points is not a representation of his personal play. Compared to expectations of what they were supposed to bring and have brought in the past, Andersen has disappointed just as much if not more than the backups.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
This isn't actually true; they haven't had identical conditions, and they don't face identical teams, and the team doesn't play identically in front. The backups have been worse for the year, but the gap in points is not representative of their gap in quality, and Andersen's pace in team points is not a representation of his personal play. Compared to expectations of what they were supposed to bring and have brought in the past, Andersen has disappointed just as much if not more than the backups.

You're right, Andersen (with his utterly elite 118 point pace) has played much harder matchups against much better competition including B2B nights, than our absolutely atrocious backups (47 point pace) have..

Thanks for reminding me of that.

You're too helpful :rolleyes:

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
So no accountability until ever trace of Lou and Mike has been eradicated?
Yup. It's really frustrating to watch people cheer on a GM wasting our AM years. When the regression is obvious.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Starting goaltenders are expected to, and do much better than Andersen has.

Andersen is winning at a better pace (118 point pace) than last year (109 point pace) as well as his career average (111 point pace). He's actually outperforming himself.

Our backup goalies on the other hand have delivered us an absolutely absymal 47 point pace this year, which is an even worse level than the terrible one they set last year (75 point pace)

In conclusion, your expectations are bordering on absolutely ridiculous. We win a lot of games with Andersen (an elite amount actually) and we're lucky to have him at a great contract and the low acquisition cost we got him for. :)

Reactions: Economist

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I wouldn't say Hutchinson has been atrocious but he's definately been below average. Our defense isn't sharp enough to win with below average goaltending.
When you give up a goal a game a peewee AAA goalie saves all the time it is atrocious. Goal 4 by Panthers. Goal 4 by Rangers. Both goals were far worse than atrocious. They kill teams. At any level. That is not below average. It is take a guy off ice immediately level. Goalies need to make every normal save. They get pulled at every level when they don't.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You're right, Andersen (with his utterly elite 118 point pace) has played much harder matchups against much better competition including B2B nights, than our absolutely atrocious backups (47 point pace) have..

Thanks for reminding me of that.

You're too helpful :rolleyes:

The problem with your math is that Anderson should have been on the hook for 3 losses that hutch ended up taking because the leafs eventually scored enough when the game was out of reach.

Of course Freddie is great. He had a brutal 10 game stretch and got saved 3 times by cheapies at the end.

Still Freddie is a great goalie. Hutch is not.
But your numbers are misleading

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
No, the team is outperforming his struggles. Big difference.

Looking at team point totals to evaluate a goalie makes no sense, especially over small samples.

All I know is that over 82 games, Andersen would put us atop the conference playing just as good (or horrible depending on where you stand) as he is.

I'll admit though, one of my biggest issues with Andersen happens to be that he can't play all 82 games and that he needs 20-30 games off per season - forcing us to use the garbage backups that Dubas finds.

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
When you give up a goal a game a peewee AAA goalie saves all the time it is atrocious. Goal 4 by Panthers. Goal 4 by Rangers. Both goals were far worse than atrocious. They kill teams. At any level. That is not below average. It is take a guy off ice immediately level. Goalies need to make every normal save. They get pulled at every level when they don't.

Yeah no. Goalies don't always get pulled right after one soft goal at every level, they have a longer leash than that otherwise you would destroy their confidence. He has a shutout so obv he isn't giving up a soft goal every game like you say. Look, he's a bad goalie right now but my point is that our defense doesn't do him any favours with the boatload of shots allowed, odd man rushes and scoring chances in the slot.

Anyways, solid that we got Campbell just because we needed a change, but he's gonna have to be at least as good as Anderson for us to make the playoffs.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

30 minutes sounds good.

Very good sire. He fine and could play tomorrow already, but they finna give hime some time off and chillax pill. That's all gravy. Andersen finna murder the canadiens saturday night and we'll get ANOTHER two points to our bank. We that great. Offensively, ain't no stopping us. And now we also have Clifford....... others team ain't have nothing on us anymore. We still have to work though Ich understands that, but other than that. IT's ours to take like the cake on birthdays already.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad