Andersen or Campbell

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I am a huge AnderAndersen fan, and I always support/defend him.

But in this case, with both teams being entirely cold and rusty, I think things are a bit different. I wouldn't call it a "short leash" exactly. But the fact is a 5 game series is going to be strange. Andersen starts game 1, nothing else is for sure. If Campbell is needed, play him. If he plays fantastic, continue to play him.

When do you decide that Campbell is "needed"? I have no idea.

Last edited:

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
I wasn’t aware the schedule would be that compact. If that’s the case you’re right he may make an appearance.

Where did you see that they would be playing two games in one day or 3 days in a row?

Do you have a source for that claim? I’ve heard it rumoured that there might be more back-to backs than normal but certainly nothing that tight. I also can’t see the players agreeing to that.

To be honest, I guess I'm regurgitating all the rumors as fact, which indeed they are not yet. Thanks for calling me out on that one fellas.

With that being said, it is my opinion that all the back ups will see time, regardless of how well the starter is playing, as it is going to be a condensed schedule no matter what way they slice it. I can't see teams, or even goalies themselves risk injury from not enough rest.

Reactions: ACC1224

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Andersen is legendary for slow starts. Its like he comes into camp unfit and plays himself into game shape and that can take a couple months. Last season he didn't get going until the end of November. I remember all of us very disappointed in this.

Campbell showed signs of being the better goalie for a short time albeit a smaller sample size. His junior numbers are very good but he also spent a couple seasons in the ECHL, a league where goalies go to die. Then he battled his way out of that league. From all accounts, he does not have Freddies slow start history. He is an average goalie in the end.

Leafs are going to need good goaltending out of the gate. Andersen does NOT give the leafs that.

If its me, I go into training camp and see what's what. That said, if Freddie looks like he has gone through Mickie D's drive through 5 too many times, then I start Campbell.

If Freddie comes into camp in shape, then its a no brainer. If he is sporting that spare tire he carries into camp every year then we may be in for a decent lottery pick.

Thoughts on this important decision?

I think you have a problem personally actually. Its not a question that even crossed my mind. If Keefe started Campbell in game one and lost and then went back to him again and lost and then brought Freddy in for game three and lost.
How do you think that would go?
Freddy starts and starts and starts.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
hopefully they go with Campbell and his stellar 3-2-1 record against 6 bottom feeders with us so i don't have to listen to this board whine all summer that Andy f***ed us out of cup
I trust Andersen personally. I always have even after he blew a couple here and there. I will be watching to see what the team has learned from their playoff expierence. Hoping for more intensity to a man every game.

member 300185

I think you have a problem personally actually. Its not a question that even crossed my mind. If Keefe started Campbell in game one and lost and then went back to him again and lost and then brought Freddy in for game three and lost.
How do you think that would go?
Freddy starts and starts and starts.
How is that a personal problem? I started the thread, if you don't like said thread, then don't read. Simple.

member 300185

I wasn’t aware the schedule would be that compact. If that’s the case you’re right he may make an appearance.

Where did you see that they would be playing two games in one day or 3 days in a row?
I think he was thinking about the regular season coming up. These playoffs will be tight, but no back to backs. There might be 5 games in 10 days with a 2 day rest in between series, but not a 3 games in 3 nights scenario.

Reactions: ACC1224

member 300185

This thread is the most Leafs thing ever.

Do we already have our built in excuse ready to go this summer?
There is a difference between an excuse and a reason. We have the evidence that Freddie is a slow starter. The guy stuffs his face in the off season and usually comes in with a spare tire.

This is a hockey forum and contains hockey talk. The topic is valid. Some goalies come in hot right away and then let up, others, like Andersen come in to camp in terrible shape and play themselves into shape. To be truthful, I don't trust Andersen. When Freddie is in game shape, he is top 5 in the league. But for the last 3 seasons he comes in and is ECHL quality.

I have no doubt Freddie gets the start, but if he falters in game one, ride Campbell the rest of the way.

Technically this is not the off season. Its summer. Freddie hasn't played in 3 months, (just like an off season).

And people saying "I'm glad he was staying with Matthews" like that is a good thing. Does no one remember "pantsgate?" Matthews is a partier.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I figured out a goalie rotation
Start Andersen in game 1
If he plays well game 1 start him game 2. If he plays poorly start him in game 2
Game 3. If Andersen played well game 2 start him. If he played poorly also start him
Game 4 if required. If Andersen played well game 3 start him. If he played poorly also start him
Game 5 if required. If Andersen played well game 4 start him. If he played poorly also start him

A lot of thought and preparation went into this goalie rotation.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
How is that a personal problem? I started the thread, if you don't like said thread, then don't read. Simple.
Oh i did see the disclaimer ;)

It is your problem, Campbell is our backup if freddy gets tired or runs in to a bad game. Thats it. He’s not going to start the playoffs like you seem to think. To bad if you don’t like my take. If i want your opinion I’ll give it to you ok :)

member 300185

Oh i did see the disclaimer ;)

It is your problem, Campbell is our backup if freddy gets tired or runs in to a bad game. Thats it. He’s not going to start the playoffs like you seem to think. To bad if you don’t like my take. If i want your opinion I’ll give it to you ok :)
Changed my post since you put the smiley face and all. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Guys like you are hilarious....also known as cowards. You have no problem opening your big mouth on forums but would never say something like that to someones face. Brave behind the keyboard though. Your opinion means nothing to me and the rest of the board is seeing that you are a yellow, keyboard commando. Good stuff bud.
I probably walked over bigger than you just to get to a fight! I did put in a smilie face to indicate i was joking so all good anyways. I’d put on my white gloves and throw that fast you’d think you were in a snow storm :) lol

You’d see so many combinations coming at you you’d think you were in a pizza parlour

member 300185

I probably walked over bigger than you just to get to a fight! I did put in a smilie face to indicate i was joking so all good anyways. I’d put on my white gloves and throw that fast you’d think you were in a snow storm :) lol

You’d see so many combinations coming at you you’d think you were in a pizza parlour
Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. Pretender :popcorn:
Truth be told, I ran into a poster from these boards in Halifax. He had a big mouth. I'm 6'5, 230 pounds and he was some 20 year old that was all skin and bones. Turned out pretty funny because he ended up buying me beers all night....and I let him.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
There is a difference between an excuse and a reason. We have the evidence that Freddie is a slow starter. The guy stuffs his face in the off season and usually comes in with a spare tire.

Where's the proof for this claim of Andersen stuffing his face and coming to camp with a spare tire?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Truth be told, I ran into a poster from these boards in Halifax. He had a big mouth. I'm 6'5, 230 pounds and he was some 20 year old that was all skin and bones. Turned out pretty funny because he ended up buying me beers all night....and I let him.
Pretender is your thread bro. Just a bad thread

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

This is a hockey forum and contains hockey talk. The topic is valid. Some goalies come in hot right away and then let up, others, like Andersen come in to camp in terrible shape and play themselves into shape. To be truthful, I don't trust Andersen. When Freddie is in game shape, he is top 5 in the league. But for the last 3 seasons he comes in and is ECHL quality.

I have no doubt Freddie gets the start, but if he falters in game one, ride Campbell the rest of the way.

Technically this is not the off season. Its summer. Freddie hasn't played in 3 months, (just like an off season).

And people saying "I'm glad he was staying with Matthews" like that is a good thing. Does no one remember "pantsgate?" Matthews is a partier.
Freddy doesn’t stuff his face why don’t you research before you shoot your mouth off. His fitness level has been through the roof since 2017 after consulting Leafs nutrition professionals back then. Here is a article of facts unlike your personal attack on Andersen. Do your research before you start making extravagant claims. https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/leaner-anderson-nutrition-lesson-1.4295492

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yeah I’d probably buy you beers too ha

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is my last stand with Freddy. I am on da Freddy freight train. But bottom line I am a Leaf fan first. If he doesn't do it this year then I'm afraid I am moving on. TG with got Soup as backup. Win and your in. KISS.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
its a legit thread.

Andy hasn't earned complete faith and Campbell has show enough to be an interesting possibility.
Yeah ok sure. Them 6 games Campbell played are sure important as apposed to freddy’s hundreds.
You should say its a legit thread for posters wanting to promote a certain narrative and i would agree...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah ok sure. Them 6 games Campbell played are sure important as apposed to freddy’s hundreds.
You should say its a legit thread for posters wanting to promote a certain narrative and i would agree...

I mean its more than a handful of games for campbell. He was really good for LA before this year. His career .916 is right there with Freddy's .917, and his .928 as a backup was better than freddy's .923 as a backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad