Player Discussion Anders Nilsson (G)

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
That would be a yes.

I just had an immediate reaction to how hilariously bad he was as soon as I posted. I do think he is a better option than everyone not named Anderson in the org. Not a big fan of Anderson either personally but he clearly has had a better track record. I have found Anderson lets in poor hoals at important times this season.

We had important times this season? :sarcasm:

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I am definitely enjoying Nilsson however, please, do not make the same mistakes we’ve made before...

Is he playing above and beyond what he’s capable of? Potentially.

Could he return to normality next season? Absolutely.

Please, do not sign him to some ludicrous 5x5 deal or something stupid because I am confident it will bite us in the ass, see: Condon, Hammond etc

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Canucks Fan here,

This is exactly how Nillson is, when he's on a roll, he plays like a Vezina level goalie but is very fragile. As soon as he has a bad game, he never recovers from it and implodes until he has enough rest or time to forget about his poor performance.

I do hope he works out, I love when he captures a hot streak, he looks absolutely unbeatable in those times.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Canucks Fan here,

This is exactly how Nillson is, when he's on a roll, he plays like a Vezina level goalie but is very fragile. As soon as he has a bad game, he never recovers from it and implodes until he has enough rest or time to forget about his poor performance.

I do hope he works out, I love when he captures a hot streak, he looks absolutely unbeatable in those times.

I can taste the salt.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Definitely shakey in his first game and looking much better now. Dorion should not have waited so long to get the team a quality tender.

the best time to plant an acorn was 20 years ago, the second best time is today.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Thats what Iam unsure of FQL....Is he an answer,or will he just become another expensive mistake,goalies are just so unpredictable
Well to avoid all that just sign him to a one year deal. Even if we have to pay him more than he'd take on a multiple year deal. Seems like we try to save money by giving them more term. We'll probably need to get over the cap floor anyways so it might be mutually beneficial.

coastalview

Sep 11, 2018
nuck fan
happy to see nilsson settling in over there
he is better then his record with the canucks
was never really given a fair chance on our team

he is a solid back up
and could become a reasonable starter
he is very similar to markstrom in age and build
and overall ability.. a bit calmer overall
markstrom appears to have figured things out this season
nilsson could very well do the same for your team

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Condon isn't bad, he's injured. His play at the start of the year was directly impacted by his groin/hip issues. Anderson is fine when not injured as well.
Nilsson is a very capable back-up goalie and probably a slight step up from Condon. If he signs cheap, get him on a 2-3 contract. Our young goalies are good but not even close to ready for prime time.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Condon isn't bad, he's injured. His play at the start of the year was directly impacted by his groin/hip issues. Anderson is fine when not injured as well.
Nilsson is a very capable back-up goalie and probably a slight step up from Condon. If he signs cheap, get him on a 2-3 contract. Our young goalies are good but not even close to ready for prime time.
Has he been injured his whole career?

Reactions: Peptic Balcers

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I agree that we evaluate this guy and either trade him at the deadline or sign him to a one year deal if possible.

He’s been great the last several days, like a goalie the team can depend on.

You can see the the team is playing better D (JPG, MPJ, and Smitty have been an excellent shut down/checking line), but man do they play with more confidence when they know the goalie will stop most shots.

Excellent trade at this point, and if he keeps up this play we can at least get a way better return at the TDL if we need to trade him.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it's pretty clear that Condon is done here in Ottawa & will likely be traded or waived or lent to some other org, maybe to Col since we did them a favour keeping Hammond in Belleville for them. Nilson has had a good run so far & they should keep evaluating him for the rest of the season but I wouldn't give him more than three yrs in any extension. IMO he has much more value & potential than Condon at this point & could still get something in return, he is only 28 yrs old too.

I am hoping he is a late starter & like some other goalies we have seen starts to get it & maybe even challenge for the starters job. Ottawa could use some luck in net for a change. An Anderson & Nilsson tandem for next season might not be so bad & if Nilsson can figure it out & take the starters job having Anderson as a back up for a yr or two wouldn't be so bad either. As long as they were both signed to reasonable & affordable extensions.

Reactions: NB613

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If he doesn’t want to sign in Ottawa could we be in a position to flip him at the deadline. His value has to of gone up since we’ve acquired him.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He did pretty good the season the Sens picked him up. Pretty much the only reason that they made the playoffs. Why the hate?
If there is a singular reason we went to the playoffs that year it would be a player named Erik Karlsson. Condon had a .914 sv% that year which was a career year. He has a career average of .905. He provided us with adequate middle of the road average goaltending. It was a good pick up but signing him to a 3 year deal was asinine. The pick up was good because of how abysmal the Sens depth in goal was due to another goaltending blunder in Hammond.

Condon has always been a below average goalie who played average for about 15 games. Claiming anything else is false.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Canucks Fan here,

Another Canucks fan here. If you remember the minute he had a "bad game" in Vancouver (usually a game where his teammates didn't show up at all) he sat for two weeks while Markstrom got all the easy home games and then he would be inserted into, say, a road game against a really good team. Two thirds of his starts were on the road. Possibly the worst use of a goalie I have ever seen. I am not surprised in the least by his start in Ottawa and would say that he would probably gladly sign a one year or two year extension for decent money without a qualm simply because his stint in Vancouver damned near ruined his career in the NHL. This was a great deal for Ottawa for which they can thank Travis Green...

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
If there is a singular reason we went to the playoffs that year it would be a player named Erik Karlsson. Condon had a .914 sv% that year which was a career year. He has a career average of .905. He provided us with adequate middle of the road average goaltending. It was a good pick up but signing him to a 3 year deal was asinine. The pick up was good because of how abysmal the Sens depth in goal was due to another goaltending blunder in Hammond.

Condon has always been a below average goalie who played average for about 15 games. Claiming anything else is false.
You can dislike the contract but there's no need for the hate. I don't like the contract either. But he played well and isn't trash. Right now he's had a bad year due to injury. Why does everyone have to push things to the extreme and argue from polarized viewpoints?

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Nilsson will go on stretches where he catches lighting in a bottle. He shouldn’t be relied upon to carry the load though. Then again neither should Anderson next year as he’d due for his usual down year. I hope we trade Andy and roll Nilsson and Hogberg while giving Gus as many games as possible in Belleville. I believe we may have something in Hogberg too.

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad