Anders Lee

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
What's nice about Lee is that he has pretty good hockey intelligence and instincts, he plays with a purpose and not some headless chicken like a lot of forwards who have poor hockey IQ. It gives him the versatility to play with any of our centers and still produce. Playing with Tavares is a pretty plum assignment and he's making the most of the opportunity. When KO comes back, I think Lee is best suited for a secondary scoring role with Strome/Nelson/Frans.

...but with first power play unit time. At least, that's the way I hope he is utilized.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Lee's first 77.

NHL TOTALS 77GM 29G - 17A 46 PTS +9 37 PIM 6GWG 203 SHT 14.3 SH%

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. Pretty impressive that he scored that many goals in basically the equivalent of one full season. What also stands out to me is the # of GWGs.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Wow. Thanks for sharing that. Pretty impressive that he scored that many goals in basically the equivalent of one full season. What also stands out to me is the # of GWGs.

Warning: Shameless Lee Plug

trophy_calderlg.jpg

He doesn't need it, but I want him to get it.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm not sure I'd vote for Lee over Forsberg or Ekblad right now, but if he goes on a tear and the Isles finish first, that'll reflect well on both his and Tavares's chances for major awards.

Yeah - don't think he should win, but he should be a top 3 candidate.

And while a rookie is a rookie, if its close, I would push the others in front of him. Lee has almost 6 years on Ekblad. That's the difference between a man and a boy.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Yeah - don't think he should win, but he should be a top 3 candidate.

And while a rookie is a rookie, if its close, I would push the others in front of him. Lee has almost 6 years on Ekblad. That's the difference between a man and a boy.

He'll be in the conversation, but it's pretty much a two horse race between Ekblad and Forsgberg. 3rd place is up in the air, but competition is still pretty tough for it, with Gaudreau likely leading the pack. Even if Gaudreau slumps to finish off the season, there's also someone like Hoffman, whose accomplishments so far this season are at least equal to Lee's. Unless Lee can maintain his current hot streak (5g and 12 pts in his last 10 games!) for a while, he'll have a hard time even finishing as a nominee.

That said, it's no knock on Lee if he doesn't end up a nominee. It just happened to be a season with a particularly strong rookie class is all.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He'll be in the conversation, but it's pretty much a two horse race between Ekblad and Forsgberg. 3rd place is up in the air, but competition is still pretty tough for it, with Gaudreau likely leading the pack. Even if Gaudreau slumps to finish off the season, there's also someone like Hoffman, whose accomplishments so far this season are at least equal to Lee's. Unless Lee can maintain his current hot streak (5g and 12 pts in his last 10 games!) for a while, he'll have a hard time even finishing as a nominee.

That said, it's no knock on Lee if he doesn't end up a nominee. It just happened to be a season with a particularly strong rookie class is all.

Yeah, totally forgot Gaudreau. I'm guessing it will be tough to top Gaudreau as well for 3rd with the whole Johnny Hockey and all, as well as a legitimately strong season.

If Lee stays on JT's line, he's got a shot to keep it up. But we'll see what happens. Either way, I'm glad as hell he's on our side.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
If Lee stays on JT's line, he's got a shot to keep it up. But we'll see what happens. Either way, I'm glad as hell he's on our side.

Another time. another place. Another thread. But Lee - Tavares - Okposo is a high likelihood of having a 40goal rookie season for Lee. Love his game!

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I could already hear the bitter losers saying that Lee had it easy because he was on JT's wing, in the event he does get the Calder or serious consideration.

He did score 9 in 22GP when JT was injured and the team was a dumpster fire last year post olympic break.

Lee has found the back of the net at every level he's played at so far, it's not gonna stop.

Last edited:

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
10 goals to get 30. 20 games left. Not totally out of the question. Let's just say he scores 3 goals this weekend between Friday and Saturday. Now all of the sudden you are looking at 23 goals and only needs 7 goals in 18 games to reach it.

Now naturally if he goes the next 5-6 games without any goals then 30 won't look so attainable

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
10 goals to get 30. 20 games left. Not totally out of the question. Let's just say he scores 3 goals this weekend between Friday and Saturday. Now all of the sudden you are looking at 23 goals and only needs 7 goals in 18 games to reach it.

Now naturally if he goes the next 5-6 games without any goals then 30 won't look so attainable

I hope he can do it.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I'm not sure I'd vote for Lee over Forsberg or Ekblad right now, but if he goes on a tear and the Isles finish first, that'll reflect well on both his and Tavares's chances for major awards.
You forgot Garth Snow, and no I am not joking. GM of the year or those awards are worthless pooh.
He'll be in the conversation, but it's pretty much a two horse race between Ekblad and Forsgberg. 3rd place is up in the air, but competition is still pretty tough for it, with Gaudreau likely leading the pack. Even if Gaudreau slumps to finish off the season, there's also someone like Hoffman, whose accomplishments so far this season are at least equal to Lee's. Unless Lee can maintain his current hot streak (5g and 12 pts in his last 10 games!) for a while, he'll have a hard time even finishing as a nominee. That said, it's no knock on Lee if he doesn't end up a nominee. It just happened to be a season with a particularly strong rookie class is all.
Very true, but if Tavares goes on a tear, and despite the recent points I don't consider this one of his killer tears, Lee will be along for the ride.
BTW, how many of us were screaming for Lee to start the year next to JT? Yabadabadoo.
The difference between a man and a boy is Mrs. Robinson. Koo koo kachew.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...es-himself-part-of-islanders-future-1.9977837

Anders Lee had no qualms about taking the Islanders' qualifying offer this past July, a one-year contract worth $850,500. The just-turned 24-year-old forward had promising numbers in his short stint with the Isles at the end of 2013-14, but he was in no position to demand anything and was only being offered a multiyear deal at a low number.

So, much like the way Lee has barreled through his hockey career, he bet on himself. It was a smart bet.

He scored his 20th goal on Tuesday in his 56th game this season, having missed the first five games when he was sent to Bridgeport at the end of training camp, a victim of the forward glut and his waiver-exempt status.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Very true, but if Tavares goes on a tear, and despite the recent points I don't consider this one of his killer tears, Lee will be along for the ride.
BTW, how many of us were screaming for Lee to start the year next to JT? Yabadabadoo.

I was one of those people that wanted Lee on the top line, but as it stands, I can't argue with the results of bringing him along a little slower.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Even though he's been great on the first line, I'd still like to get an upgrade to play with JT and Okposo and reunite the kid line.

Same here. The team works very well - across the board - with that fist line, the kid line and then Nielsen -Kulemin - Grabo/Grabs as a nice two way 3rd line. And hope Casey will be healthy soon.

Okposo getting healthy is the key to our line combos.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Really? Because I think he still handles the puck like a grenade most of the time. He also doesn't win as many board battles as you would expect him to.

Interesting fact he still has one of the lowest gwa vs. tka stats on the team. The space he creates and attention he draws in front of the net for JT and Bails is typically under appreciated to the casual fan.

For a 6th round pick who just finished his first NHL 82 games with a line of 30g 18a 48 pts +14 6gwg and a Sht% of 14.1 I think he
could be considered a decent value for the Islanders.

I won't even go into Advanced stats where he is near the top in every category on the islanders and among the top 30 forwards in the NHL.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Interesting fact he still has one of the lowest gwa vs. tka stats on the team. The space he creates and attention he draws in front of the net for JT and Bails is typically under appreciated to the casual fan.

For a 6th round pick who just finished his first NHL 82 games with a line of 30g 18a 48 pts +14 6gwg and a Sht% of 14.1 I think he
could be considered a decent value for the Islanders.

I won't even go into Advanced stats where he is near the top in every category on the islanders and among the top 30 forwards in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lee and what he brings. However, he still has areas where there can be a lot of improvement.

He is indeed an incredible net front presence and has the hands/talent to score from there consistently, but he doesn't bring much in terms of zone entries and playmaking. With his combination of size and smarts, I expect him to be more effective in board battles. I also don't want him to be the primary puck handler on his line because that's not his gift like it is for Tavares and Bailey to a lesser extent.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Really? Because I think he still handles the puck like a grenade most of the time. He also doesn't win as many board battles as you would expect him to.

I don't think he'll ever be a playmaker but he's looking less uncomfortable lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad