New York Islanders: Anders Lee Named 15th Captain in Team History!

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If they can shed a contract somehow I would even be willing to go up to 6 years for him.

I doubt we’ll be able to keep both Lee and Eberle. Lee being named captain now and the report that isles have started negotiating with his agent tell me he’s in tr long term plans. Eberle is a goner.

The Ladd contract is killing us. On the flip side we did save $11 million by not re-signing you know who so that can be distributed elsewhere

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I doubt we’ll be able to keep both Lee and Eberle. Lee being named captain now and the report that isles have started negotiating with his agent tell me he’s in tr long term plans. Eberle is a goner.

The Ladd contract is killing us. On the flip side we did save $11 million by not re-signing you know who so that can be distributed elsewhere

Save that money for Panarin in the offseason. If they can trade Ladd or Boychuk to Seattle that would be great.

Reactions: IODCPiper

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Save that money for Panarin in the offseason. If they can trade Ladd or Boychuk to Seattle that would be great.

Both have NMC and Ladd hasn’t proved he’s worth it. There’s 2 options.

1- convince Ladd to waive his no movement clause and trade him to Seattle but you’re attaching either a 1st round pick your good young player with potential like Ho-Sang

Or

2- the new expansion rules allow you to expose guys with a NTC NMC. I highly doubt this happens but in the event that it does you expose Ladd and pray Seattle takes him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

1- convince Ladd to waive his no movement clause and trade him to Seattle but you’re attaching either a 1st round pick your good young player with potential like Ho-Sang

Or

2- the new expansion rules allow you to expose guys with a NTC NMC. I highly doubt this happens but in the event that it does you expose Ladd and pray Seattle takes him.

The last expansion allowed guys with NTC to be selected, but not NMC if I remember correctly. Ladd won't have the NMC by the time the next expansion rolls around. They could bury Ladd in the minors and make his life miserable after this season, if they wanted to.

Reactions: SI90

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Or

Or a 3rd option and it is not a great one either, buy out Ladd. That's only a 666K savings. But it's an option.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If they can shed a contract somehow I would even be willing to go up to 6 years for him.
6 years is the absolute bottom we'll get him for. He's probably looking for 8 (why wouldn't we), team probably starts at 5....they land at 7 I'm guessing. If Evander Kane gets 7, how does Lee not demand 7? Perhaps if the team ponys up more $$$, he'll agree to 6.

I'd rather have him for 5 or 6, of course, but why would he agree to that?

I'm guessing 7 years, somewhere slightly under $7m AAV. I doubt he tries to milk every last dollar out of it, but when it comes to term, he'll push hard for 7 or 8.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
I love Eberle but he is replaceable by Bellows/Wahlstrom.

Lee on the other hand is one of the best players I have seen in front of the net and with deflections since Parrish/Holmstrom. Much harder to find a guy who excels in that type of game that Lee plays. He is the better choice to re-sign if they are only signing one of the two.

Reactions: doublechili

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I love Eberle but he is replaceable by Bellows/Wahlstrom.

Lee on the other hand is one of the best players I have seen in front of the net and with deflections since Parrish/Holmstrom. Much harder to find a guy who excels in that type of game that Lee plays. He is the better choice to re-sign if they are only signing one of the two.
Agreed. The Isles have playmakers and shooters in the system. Lee fits perfectly as garbage man on a line with a playmaker and a shooter.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I had reached the conclusion that it was a easy decision the day JT left. The idea that the team didn't have anyone captain worthy and didn't need one was ridiculous. It would also make things more difficult if the whole league was talking about how JT left them and now they don't have a captain, never mind losing the player.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I had reached the conclusion that it was a easy decision the day JT left. The idea that the team didn't have anyone captain worthy and didn't need one was ridiculous. It would also make things more difficult if the whole league was talking about how JT left them and now they don't have a captain, never mind losing the player.

Or that Lee is a great Leader and earned the “C”.

It’s easy to give the “C” to young sexy up and coming stars but I’d rather have the really good player who is a natural born leader as my captain.

The theme seems to be now that the best player in the team is named captain. Being the best player doesn’t mean you’re automatically a good leader or captain.

Lee has the respect of his teammates before he ever had a 30 or 40 goal season. He’s not one of these “ he’s a quiet leader” or “ leads by his play” type of guys. He’s an all around leader. He lets his play on the ice and his actions off the ice lead. He’s also very vocal.

Reactions: dood

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Teams are forced to make the star captain to convince them to stay. Barzal will be captain next, either in four months or three years.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Starting off the feel good story seaosn right. Lee looks genuinely so damn happy about this. Boys should be fired up tonight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad