Anders Lee Gets Kronwalled

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I mean yeah. It was illegal contact to the head.

Let me redirect you to the official rule

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted. In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:
(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.
(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.
(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
It doesn't matter what happened a half second earlier. Head contact is legal if it's unavoidable in an otherwise solid body check.

They should seriously sticky this at the top of this forum but here's Rule 48.1 Illegal Check to the Head. I've bolded the relevant portion.
You do realize unavoidable means unavoidable right? Like if Lee suddenly fell and drastically changed the level of his head. The same reason a hit from behind is "OK" of the player getting hit shows their back at the last second. Lee's head never changed, Kronwall put his shoulder directly thru his face. I dont think Kronwall was some monster on that hit, but definitely not 100% clean

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You do realize unavoidable means unavoidable right? Like if Lee suddenly fell and drastically changed the level of his head. The same reason a hit from behind is "OK" of the player getting hit shows their back at the last second. Lee's head never changed, Kronwall put his shoulder directly thru his face. I dont think Kronwall was some monster on that hit, but definitely not 100% clean

It was.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
This is a tough one. I don’t think Kronwall intended to get him in the face but because Lee put himself in that position and had his head down that’s wear the contact was. Still but the rules it should have been a penalty.

Shoulder directly to face.

Kronwall is the best at those hits. And the majority of them are always clean.
Ye you have a good point. The difficult thing with a hit like this is what is the rule? Are we at the point where any contact with the head is deserving of a penalty of suspension?

The hit was almost as clean as it could get when he decided to hit him but when Lee has his head down who is responsible?

Only thing for Kronwall to do to avoid some contact with the head is to not hit him at all. Have we removed all accountability by the player with the puck in situations like this one?

I love these Kronwall hits and dont want them gone but i also understand that its dangerous. I also think Lee is responsible and he had his head down and was not close to looking around at what might come. Kronwall had his arms pretty tucked and led with his shoulder, i think its clean but i have no clue where the league is right now with hits like this one.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Someone posted the rule so helpfully. You can't hit a player in the head if it's unavoidable. Kronwall can't hit Lee without hitting the head first. That's Lee's fault.

I still think Kronwall should have let up a little. Even if it's legal, who wants to end a player's career?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
You're leaving out "in an otherwise full bodycheck" before the unavoidable part.

Kronwall made a legal and full check to the body. The head contact was a result of Lee putting himself in a vulnerable position by having his head down or in other words "assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable."

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Keep your head up kid
This is weird because Lee doesn’t play dumb, is constantly in the dirty areas and knows what to expect. What happened here is instinct and unless i’m mistaken, i don’t think he’s ever had a concussion.

So... i don’t get the whole thing with blaming the injured on a play like this.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Someone posted the rule so helpfully. You can't hit a player in the head if it's unavoidable. Kronwall can't hit Lee without hitting the head first. That's Lee's fault.

I still think Kronwall should have let up a little. Even if it's legal, who wants to end a player's career?

And what happens if Kronwall lets up, Lee picks his head up, jumps around him, and the Islanders score?

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I’m surprised he didn’t get 5 and a game. I hate kronwall but that’s a beauty.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is weird because Lee doesn’t play dumb, is constantly in the dirty areas and knows what to expect. What happened here is instinct and unless i’m mistaken, i don’t think he’s ever had a concussion.

You don’t get why people are saying Lee has to keep his head up?

Is he injured right now? If yes, that’s why you keep your head up.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA

I mean yeah it was definitely instinct but I’m not sure how that’s relevant. Maybe Kronwall should’ve just let him skate by?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Ye you have a good point. The difficult thing with a hit like this is what is the rule? Are we at the point where any contact with the head is deserving of a penalty of suspension?

The hit was almost as clean as it could get when he decided to hit him but when Lee has his head down who is responsible?

Only thing for Kronwall to do to avoid some contact with the head is to not hit him at all. Have we removed all accountability by the player with the puck in situations like this one?

I love these Kronwall hits and dont want them gone but i also understand that its dangerous. I also think Lee is responsible and he had his head down and was not close to looking around at what might come. Kronwall had his arms pretty tucked and led with his shoulder, i think its clean but i have no clue where the league is right now with hits like this one.

I agree that if Lee’s Head was up it would have been shoulder to chest. The way I understood the rule is any time the head is the principal point of contact it’s a penalty.

I love these hits as well.

Should have been a 2 min penalty. No major and no suspension

Reactions: RedMenace

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I agree that if Lee’s Head was up it would have been shoulder to chest. The way I understood the rule is any time the head is the principal point of contact it’s a penalty.

No penalty. It's a clean and legal hit.

Kronwall couldn't have hit him without contacting the head because Lee put himself in a bad position. That's not Kronwall's fault.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
No penalty. It's a clean and legal hit.

Kronwall couldn't have hit him without contacting the head because Lee put himself in a bad position. That's not Kronwall's fault.

That’s fine but isn’t the rule no matter what contact to the head is a penalty?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Kronwall lead with the shoulder, principal point of contact was the head because Lee had his head down. Brutal hit but it's a lawful one. Really hope Anders is okay.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

Understandable from an Islanders' fan perspective. Can't agree as a Wings fan, but that's what makes the world go 'round. :DD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad