Newsday: Anders Lee a Victim of Islanders' Numbers Crunch

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If they aren't clicking, so there aren't as many chances as we're used to. If you prefer to define it in your own terms, by all means go ahead. Interested to see where people fall in this.

I'll take "Intangibles" for $50. Keep the heat off Tavares and Kyle, be the first in the scuffles, be a lightening rod for attention, and do not get stuck behind the net with the other two.

And be on pace for 50 pts by the end of November.

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
If the isles are going to commit to conacher as lw1 they need to either get rid of Bailey or Martin. Lee should definitely be in the lineup as he is better than either of those 2. He provides the physical play of Martin with more offense and faster skating. Lee should be lw3 with Bailey providing depth on lw4 with cizikas and clutterbuck. Martin would play against tougher teams.

This would give us some depth throughout the lineup. Look at the Kings who had Richards playing the 4th line or even stoll. The truth is bailey's low man on the totem pole now and if he wants to move up let him work for it. He's also at a disadvantage in that he's a playmaker - a skill set we have a ton of. Problem for him is that he's not fleet of foot and strome,Nielsen,grabo are so he is lower on the depth chart.

Lee has a skill set that is very desirable in today's nhl and should make the Matt martin's of the world expendable. However, Martin's a fan favorite so the isles will probably keep him in the lineup. Lee will have to wait.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Bourque, Hanzal, Turris, Tanguay, Gaustad, Stajan, Desharnais, Upshall are all right there with him in terms of length. Then there are the shorter contracts that started later.

Also Lars Eller signed a contract recently close to Bailey's contract. They are similar players.

Not using this to defend Bailey at all, just that I don't think his contract is a big deal. I think he probably wouldn't clear waivers...and I wouldn't want to let him go for nothing. I think we should at least recoup one of the seconds that we lost in the Boychuk trade.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Lee will be up when any of the following events happens:
1) injury
2) lack of secondary scoring (if the 2nd/3rd line not producing enough)
3) PP not producing enough
4) If one of the top 9 players are clearly struggling unless there is a injury issue

He is too good for the 4th line role and he can help picking up other player's offensive games in Bridgeport and improve his defensive game even more so he will be replacing Bailey eventually unless the latter either break out offensively this year or become an exceptional PK guy who will replace another 4th liner who can neither contribute offensively nor PK well. He may become the DANIEL PAILLE of this team. Paille was a late 1st round pick who despite his speed never become a top 9 player he was projected for yet has become one of the elite PK players in this league and also play his defensive role quite well for Boston. Of course he gets paid quite a bit less than Bailey though.

The team management/coaching staff better act rationally after two months and promote/demote quickly before it is too late.

Not that much of a deal. Remember that Rangers has also send their top offensive prospect to the minor a couple of times for additional seasoning within the last couple of years and finally he earns a regular spot on the big team and now could become their biggest contributing factor for years to come.

Last edited:

CLUTTERSTACHE*

Wasting his young talent year by year

way to go islanders

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I don't think it is that usual at all. By this time in the year, teams have filled out their rosters, are close to the cap, and have stretched their payroll. A guy who might have attracted attention in June could clear waivers now.

Look at Brennan. Obviously got a one-way deal on free agent frenzy day and then clears waivers a short-while later.

Brennan didn't really have positive trade value at the beginning of the offseason, otherwise he likely would not have signed a league minimum contract on July 1 and held out for larger offer. This makes it pretty clear that on July 1, he only had one team that was all that interested in him. So him clearing waivers isn't really much of change at all, it's just one fewer team being interested in him.

Staple reporting that Bailey could easily be traded, to me implies several teams would be willing to take him on. So I think it'd be a little unusual if every one of those teams was no longer interested. But even assuming you are correct and he currently has negative value, as long as he doesn't play too terribly this season, he should be tradeable once some teams start getting into injury problems.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Brennan didn't really have positive trade value at the beginning of the offseason, otherwise he likely would not have signed a league minimum contract on July 1 and held out for larger offer. This makes it pretty clear that on July 1, he only had one team that was all that interested in him. So him clearing waivers isn't really much of change at all, it's just one fewer team being interested in him.

Staple reporting that Bailey could easily be traded, to me implies several teams would be willing to take him on. So I think it'd be a little unusual if every one of those teams was no longer interested. But even assuming you are correct and he currently has negative value, as long as he doesn't play too terribly this season, he should be tradeable once some teams start getting into injury problems.

We could probably get a second or third rounder out of him depending on how much salary we would be willing to take back. I just don't think we're in that spot any longer. I'd prefer waiving him to eating cap space.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
And I've heard your argument about valuing players based off of a good stretch of little more than 20 games. So where's Michael Grabner, perennial 40 goal scorer? Just because Lee's been a little better (and both have been good) in a very small sample size of NHL games doesn't mean you can just throw away the fact that Strome has outperformed Lee in every other facet of their careers.

Strome outperformed Lee at every single level except for one you're 100% correct. But that one level just so happens to be the most important one.

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
Strome outperformed Lee at every single level except for one you're 100% correct. But that one level just so happens to be the most important one.

I'm not denying that NHL success is most important. What I'm saying is 20 good games doesn't constitute NHL success. Stroke has been the more highly touted player at every point in their careers and a small sample size of NHL games isn't enough to change that. I'm not saying that Lee isn't better or won't be as good as Strome, but for the time being Strome is more likely to succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad