Newsday: Anders Lee a Victim of Islanders' Numbers Crunch

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...897?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Lee likely outplayed six-year veteran Josh Bailey, but general manager Garth Snow and coach Jack Capuano aren't ready to push Bailey and the four years and $13.2 million remaining on his contract aside just yet. Pulock appeared to have won a spot with a strong first week of the preseason before a lower-body injury sidelined him for the past 10 days, so fellow 20-year-old Griffin Reinhart starts the season on the Islanders' roster and Pulock heads to the AHL to work back into shape.

"Anders, that's a tough one," Capuano admitted after Tuesday's practice. "He's had a pretty good camp. He's going to be an Islander for a long time, but at this point it's a numbers game. But things change daily around here. The guys that are here have to show every day the work ethic and results to stay here."

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
hows it a numbers game?...

Player x is better than player y, therefore player x should be in the lineup...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Not a big deal. He's close to having a permanent spot. I still can't believe the short-sighted views of the fast food generation on here. We can't go losing other players to waivers and then be forced to start adding inexperienced rookies like Collberg if the injuries pile up. It has to be this way. As much as you dislike it, guess what life isn't fair. Lee will put on a professional face, rip up BP for a couple weeks and hopefully the staff will finally have enough of Bailey and find someplace to put him so Lee can can play in the NHL.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
This entire situation with Bailey being called out is not going to help the Bailey climate...

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The fact is that once a forward of ours gets hurt we go back to calling up guys like Collberg who just aren't ready. Lee will tear up the AHL, force his way into the lineup and ultimately be that extra push we need to really compete with the Pens (too soon I know).

There are a bunch of rookies in this lineup and while their skill level is NHL worthy it's their consistency. Lee WILL play in the NHL. It's just a matter of time.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The fact is that once a forward of ours gets hurt we go back to calling up guys like Collberg who just aren't ready. Lee will tear up the AHL, force his way into the lineup and ultimately be that extra push we need to really compete with the Pens (too soon I know).

There are a bunch of rookies in this lineup and while their skill level is NHL worthy it's their consistency. Lee WILL play in the NHL. It's just a matter of time.

Plagiarism!!!

kpap57

Jun 24, 2008
EX Long Islander
It's a long season full of injuries. I think the isles are giving conacher his chance while grabner is injured. IMO once grabner is ready to go and if conacher is not performing, we will see him waived and Nelson will take that spot.
I also see bailey being on a short leash this year. He will be sitting if under performing, and boulton will prob be waived as well.

People are flipping over this, but personally I don't have a problem with it. It's better to have to many good players trying to get into the line up. Forces competition within the team, knowing a bad gm may have u in the press box. Much better than being forced to watch the reasoners and rolstons of the world night in and night out, with no options of a better replacement.

Edit: This is where good coaching comes into place, making correct decisions and switching out players and line properly to maximize success. Also goes in with motivating these players. Hope Cappy is up for the job.

kpap57

Jun 24, 2008
EX Long Islander
Have a weird gap in knowledge here. Who decides to waive a player? GM or coach?
Since technically you could lose/transfer a players contract to another team, would it be the gm? But since it's a roster decision, couldn't it be the coach then.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Since technically you could lose/transfer a players contract to another team, would it be the gm? But since it's a roster decision, couldn't it be the coach then.

Pretty sure since it's actual player movement, it's the GMs move

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Regardless of how Lee and Bailey performed in relation to each other, they should both be in the lineup over scrubs like Cizikas and Martin.

THIS! Lee AND Bailey should BOTH be on the team!

Lee should have Martins spot, not Baileys!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe they're keeping him out of the lineup in favor of a guy who gets 10pts a year. 10 points! That's a joke.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Regardless of how Lee and Bailey performed in relation to each other, they should both be in the lineup over scrubs like Cizikas and Martin.

While this is true, I'd rather Lee be "the man" in Bridgeport than get 8 minutes a night on the Island.

Is the situation ideal? No.

Is it something that teams deal with everyone once in a while when they have a strong pipeline? Absolutely.

Boston just had to do something very similar - and WE benefitted.

Let's all be glad that Lee wasn't traded and he's taking this like the man Nino wasn't when he was in this shape and the CAP was the motivation, whereas the motivation now is 1-way contracts and development.

As long as Lee's a man about it, there's really not that much harm in letting him get top line minutes and a chance to dominate the AHL. He'll be an even bigger threat when he gets his number called that way.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Pretty sure since it's actual player movement, it's the GMs move

It's the GM.

However, if no one claims Bailey (most likely), he'll earn $1+ million a year in Bridgeport as he is on an NHL contract.

It sucks for Lee, but with injuries and such, he'll likely be recalled within 20 games.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

You should check the trade rumor forum, there's an interesting discussion about Kindl making the roster and Mike Babcock pointing the finger at Ken Holland.

I'm posting on the phone otherwise I would post a link. (Sorry I don't know how to do it)

Last edited:

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
What I don't get is... Why is Strome up with the big club instead of Lee?

I wasn't expecting Bailey to be canned no matter how piss-poor he's been, but I mean, Strome didn't exactly have a great camp either. Lee clearly is ahead developmentally of Strome so I just don't get why Lee had to be the one to take the fall.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home

THIS! Lee AND Bailey should BOTH be on the team!

Lee should have Martins spot, not Baileys!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe they're keeping him out of the lineup in favor of a guy who gets 10pts a year. 10 points! That's a joke.

Holy Christ.....NHL'14 fever!!!!!

Martin and a producing Cizikas don't get replaced by a Lee. Bailey does. Conacher does. You don't lose your checkers because they don't score enough....you lose them because their defense sucks and someone tougher is out there to do damage. This kinda thinking is what has the Isles pushed around and injured and sucking wind come playoff time.

Lee over Bailey? Yes, definitely, but only if there is a solid two way defensive forward on the roster to replace Bailey. Conacher? Lee swap in a millisecond, but part of me likes a hungrier Lee growing into a full timer. THAT IMPLIES A TRADE TO OPEN A SPOT.

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
While this is true, I'd rather Lee be "the man" in Bridgeport than get 8 minutes a night on the Island.

That's valid, but you don't have to play him 8 minutes a game. If you have a 4th line full of guys who can actually play rather than grinders, you can afford to play it more. Also, you could stick Lee on a higher line and put someone else (Bailey) on the 4th.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
That's valid, but you don't have to play him 8 minutes a game. If you have a 4th line full of guys who can actually play rather than grinders, you can afford to play it more. Also, you could stick Lee on a higher line and put someone else (Bailey) on the 4th.

So Tavares' line gets less ice time and skilled forwards have to check more and wear down opponents?

Hockey eliminated the grinder position?

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
Holy Christ.....NHL'14 fever!!!!!

Martin and a producing Cizikas don't get replaced by a Lee. Bailey does. Conacher does. You don't lose your checkers because they don't score enough....you lose them because their defense sucks and someone tougher is out there to do damage. This kinda thinking is what has the Isles pushed around and injured and sucking wind come playoff time.

Lee over Bailey? Yes, definitely, but only if there is a solid two way defensive forward on the roster to replace Bailey. Conacher? Lee swap in a millisecond, but part of me likes a hungrier Lee growing into a full timer. THAT IMPLIES A TRADE TO OPEN A SPOT.

I don't see why any team has a need for a the role of "****** hockey player who gets a lot of hits because his opponents always have the puck." If you think Cizikas and Martin are good defensive hockey players you are horribly wrong.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
It's a long season full of injuries. I think the isles are giving conacher his chance while grabner is injured. IMO once grabner is ready to go and if conacher is not performing, we will see him waived and Nelson will take that spot.
I also see bailey being on a short leash this year. He will be sitting if under performing, and boulton will prob be waived as well.

People are flipping over this, but personally I don't have a problem with it. It's better to have to many good players trying to get into the line up. Forces competition within the team, knowing a bad gm may have u in the press box. Much better than being forced to watch the reasoners and rolstons of the world night in and night out, with no options of a better replacement.

Edit: This is where good coaching comes into place, making correct decisions and switching out players and line properly to maximize success. Also goes in with motivating these players. Hope Cappy is up for the job.

You'll have to forgive me, I'm in a completely different time zone and just posted almost this exact thing into the other Lee thread... :D

What I don't get is... Why is Strome up with the big club instead of Lee?

I wasn't expecting Bailey to be canned no matter how piss-poor he's been, but I mean, Strome didn't exactly have a great camp either. Lee clearly is ahead developmentally of Strome so I just don't get why Lee had to be the one to take the fall.

I'm pleased Strome made the roster but I think he is still in a difficult postiion when Grabner is fit. Does management waive Conacher/Boulton/CMac and lose a roster player or demote Strome to preserve depth? I think Strome and Lee were both handicapped at camp because of their waiver status. Management has to have an eye to managing depth not just playing talent.

I'll start getting angry if roster moves aren't made after 10 games or so when it is clear some players aren't pulling their weight...

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
You'll have to forgive me, I'm in a completely different time zone and just posted almost this exact thing into the other Lee thread... :D

I'm pleased Strome made the roster but I think he is still in a difficult postiion when Grabner is fit. Does management waive Conacher/Boulton/CMac and lose a roster player or demote Strome to preserve depth? I think Strome and Lee were both handicapped at camp because of their waiver status. Management has to have an eye to managing depth not just playing talent.

I'll start getting angry if roster moves aren't made after 10 games or so when it is clear some players aren't pulling their weight...

I agree 100%. Right now, I'm disappointed, but it's important to have guys that can play all roles (except goons. I don't like goons.). Having Lee down sucks, but isn't a detriment. But come the end of the month, and say, Bailey hasn't shown some form out there, if he isn't sent down, or at least scratched and someone else is playing in his place, I'll be pissed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad