Player Discussion Anders Bjork II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
as mouser said, i don't see how this is a cap move. more likely because he was called up
for nordstrom on emergency, who seems ready to go. plus JJ saves a few bucks on per diem ;)
Not if you account for transportation. ;)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
as mouser said, i don't see how this is a cap move. more likely because he was called up
for nordstrom on emergency, who seems ready to go. plus JJ saves a few bucks on per diem ;)

I think it’s about the “emergency recall”. He was called up and nobody was waived because Krejci was put on IR. I assume that DK will get activated before Saturday, which necessitated Bjork going back down. When Kuhlman goes on IR, Bjork comes back up (hopefully).

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I'm not convinced he's heading right back up

Nordstrom is back as a full participant yesterday and Krejci skated before practice yesterday. Cassidy said the team is off tomorrow, and we will see how Krejci is on Friday, and with kuhlman being out. I don't see why they wouldn't activate Bjork and play him over Backes or Lindholm, but I think he'll be back, do to the question-ability of krejci and carrying 13 forwards.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Welcome back Anders!! We missed you.

ffeda5975fcea7b1b1954c00c50dba0c.gif

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good, would have been frustrated if he stayed down after the game he had.

while not the finished product by any means, that one play he made where he took the puck and drove to the net, after having back to back seasons with shoulder injuries indicated to me the kid not only is developing but he`s playing without fear of injury which is a bonus.

Had a nice game, thought he needed to come deeper into his zone on the Kappanen goal to help defend but still played with some jam, shied away from nothing, good stuff

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I think they hitchhike or take the Grey Hound...
Well... if they hitchhike you have to account for insurance liabilities, monies to help for gas, to help with lunch and stuff, plus gratuities. Kids can end up with quite the expense. It wouldn't surprised me if some just declined the invitation.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
This move doesn't save $1-2k though. It saves $0.
Cap Friendly could definitively answer this but my understanding is that players are not paid on a per games played basis--outside of certain performance bonuses. They are paid by dividing up their yearly salary into a per-day amount which is then paid out bi-weekly based upon how many of those 14 days you were on the NHL roster. The salary cap then reflects these paper moves down one day and back up after midnight the next. This is how some guys that get traded can play a full NHL regular season of as few as 78 games or as high as 86 games but their salary doesn't change.
See 'overtime' section on guys playing more games due to trades: Every number has a story, some that will surprise you

This NHL Q&A talks about how trades are pro-rated at the bottom with an explanation on how contracts are paid by number of days in a season (186): Trade Deadline Q & A

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Cap Friendly could definitively answer this but my understanding is that players are not paid on a per games played basis--outside of certain performance bonuses. They are paid by dividing up their yearly salary into a per-day amount which is then paid out bi-weekly based upon how many of those 14 days you were on the NHL roster. The salary cap then reflects these paper moves down one day and back up after midnight the next. This is how some guys that get traded can play a full NHL regular season of as few as 78 games or as high as 86 games but their salary doesn't change.
See 'overtime' section on guys playing more games due to trades: Every number has a story, some that will surprise you

This NHL Q&A talks about how trades are pro-rated at the bottom with an explanation on how contracts are paid by number of days in a season (186): Trade Deadline Q & A

That's all correct that players are paid on a daily basis bi-weekly. If the Bruins were under the cap, then yes sending down Bjork for a few days would create additional cap space (technical term is Payroll Room).

The problem here is that according to CF the Bruins are over the cap even without Bjork. If you look at the daily cap tracker chart CF shows that Boston has been over the cap (ACSL) every single day of the regular season. That means at this point in time Boston has accumulated $0 Payroll Room. When teams are over the cap/ACSL using LTIR then the unused LTIR space does not accumulate. So it doesn't make a cap difference if Boston is using $1.505m of LTIR space now with Bjork vs. only $580k of LTIR space while he was down the past few days.

I looked for other reasons why it might be advantageous to use emergency recall for Bjork rather then a regular recall but I'm still failing to find a reason why. I sent a question to CF, hopefully they'll be able to explain it.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
That's all correct that players are paid on a daily basis bi-weekly. If the Bruins were under the cap, then yes sending down Bjork for a few days would create additional cap space (technical term is Payroll Room).

The problem here is that according to CF the Bruins are over the cap even without Bjork. If you . ACSL using LTIR then the unused LTIR space does not accumulate. So it doesn't make a cap difference if Boston is using $1.505m of LTIR space now with Bjork vs. only $580k of LTIR space while he was down the past few days.

I looked for other reasons why it might be advantageous to use emergency recall for Bjork rather then a regular recall but I'm still failing to find a reason why. I sent a question to CF, hopefully they'll be able to explain it.

At the end of the day, it doesn't effect the daily cap because, as you mentioned, they are in LTIR space. But, it does affect the year end cap.

Also, eventually, Moore is going to come off LTIR as well, and the less spent on the cap, the less they'd have to clear to make Moore fit.

If you use CapFriendly today, you see that they need to clear $1,244,167 to fit Moore under the year end cap. Had they kept Bjork up, that total would have been (roughly) $1,254,113.

It's pennies, but it all adds up. And you're right, they can't bank LTIR space, but the less they have to clear when Moore does return, the better. And then they can start banking.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
love this guy. long term he's gonna be what johansson was - the speed, the creativity,
the hockey IQ. not sure if he'll be the elite zone entry beast that jojo was but bjork
is a top 9 keeper for years. get out your seattle calculators because he's definitely
one of my 7 forwards kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad