Post-Game Talk: (and part 2) #80: Maple Leafs at Flyers, Thursday, April 7, 2016

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yes, but "big" is a very nebulous way of characterizing the relative impact of his presence here.

My point is that, especially in hockey, there are so many variables at play that any single one (eg, Voracek being in the lineup) explains only a sliver of the outcomes. I mean, how much of that drop do you think is due to Voracek? 5%? 10%? It's can't be much more than that because there are so many other factors (eg, PP failure, fatigue, lineup decisions, uncontrollable factors for the opposition, etc.) at play here. Even if Voracek is the single "biggest" of those factors, it really isn't enough by itself to explain the drop.

That's why I take issue with people who choose to use one issue as a scapegoat for such struggles. It's an easy target. And it's one worth discussing, but I think it's beaten to death and drastically overstated by some.

FWIW, by my evaluation, fatigue is the single biggest factor right now, not Voracek.

I get what you're saying and I appreciate the well thought-out explanation for it.

You're probably right about fatigue. Other issues have been our mediocre defense coming back down to Earth and being exposed, probably because they aren't getting enough support from the forwards due to fatigue, and a struggling powerplay.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Voracek not getting claimed in the expansion draft is still the most outrageous claims. Truly "what have you done for me lately" syndrome while ignoring years & years of a good to great track record. We saw the same crap with Mason earlier this year from the same group of people.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
HF7 is right, people have insanely short memories.

The year started -> Jake struggled -> people lost their **** -> many people (including myself) said "calm down, it won't last".

It didn't last.

He started playing much better -> PPG for a long time -> then got hurt.

Comes back from injury -> struggles -> people lose their **** -> and once again we have to say "step back from the ledge, it won't last".

How many times do we need to repeat the same steps before people wake up?

Same thing happens with Giroux too, if he goes through a short dry spell people lose their minds, even though it's obviously not going to last... and never does.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
After reading Meltzer's wrap up, that goal should definitely have been called back.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...4-3-in-OT-to-Maple-Leafs-Team-Awards/45/76155

According to NHL Rule 69:

[If] an attacking player plants himself within the goal crease, as to obstruct
the goalkeeper’s vision and impair his ability to defend his goal, and a goal is
scored. ....Goal is disallowed. The announcement should be, “No goal due to interference with the goaltender."

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
HF7 is right, people have insanely short memories.

The year started -> Jake struggled -> people lost their **** -> many people (including myself) said "calm down, it won't last".

It didn't last.

He started playing much better -> PPG for a long time -> then got hurt.

Comes back from injury -> struggles -> people lose their **** -> and once again we have to say "step back from the ledge, it won't last".

How many times do we need to repeat the same steps before people wake up?

Same thing happens with Giroux too, if he goes through a short dry spell people lose their minds, even though it's obviously not going to last... and never does.

I full expect Jake to bounce back next season.

Doesnt make it any less frustrating right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad