Post-Game Talk: And here be our Swan Song. Canucks lose 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
well hopefully the team work hard for the remainder of the 6 games......like calgary and maybe get some wins even if playoff hope is gone. It would be good for next season

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
There's a chicken and egg scenario with Kesler assists. Does he have low assists because he's a bad passer or because nobody but him is able to score? His line isn't the only one going bankrupt. No one is thriving and unless he has magic offense sapping ability from the bench, I'm not sure it's on him.

I don't fault him, but I'm pretty keen about trying to move on from him if you can get some quality futures back.

I agree with all this. As for moving him, I see it this way: he doesn't want to be here, and his moods and tempers are likely rubbing some teammates and the coaching staff the wrong way, to put it mildly. In addition, he isn't likely to play better on a consistent basis from here to the end of his career, except maybe with a change of scenery coupled with unusual good health. So . . . it's time to cash in the asset and clear the air.

In fact, there's no other rational solution. I hope there's still a lot of interest in Kesler from at least a handful of teams.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
To me, its an issue, but also a non-issue...Torts has to be smarter than this. Why burn out your #1 while letting your unknown backup sit for weeks on end? Lack is going to get tired, how many games in a row does he have to play to satisfy Torts?

I think Torts is running with him because he is not showing any clear signs of fatigue. He seems a safe option for that reason. Will he? Possibly. When that happens though, I think Torts will more readily go to Markstrom.

You've completely missed our points. Perhaps our points belong in the GM thread, but as the teams playoff hopes are realistically over, these questions arise.

There would be a logical reason for these questions to arise now if Lack had given you cause to ask them. He hasn't, so they seem out of place to me.

donutz0r

Jan 12, 2010
Dallas. Go Canucks!
I agree with all this. As for moving him, I see it this way: he doesn't want to be here, and his moods and tempers are likely rubbing some teammates and the coaching staff the wrong way, to put it mildly. In addition, he isn't likely to play better on a consistent basis from here to the end of his career, except maybe with a change of scenery coupled with unusual good health. So . . . it's time to cash in the asset and clear the air.

In fact, there's no other rational solution. I hope there's still a lot of interest in Kesler from at least a handful of teams.
I'm not doubting you since a few people have already mentioned it, but I'm not finding much information when doing a quick search on Google for Kesler's recent temper/mood issues. Fan blogs aside, can you (or anyone) link me to anything more concrete?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Shocking. You run a rookie goalie into the ground playing him 16 straight games including 3 games in 4 nights and he struggles.

Oh well, at least management will get a great look at Markstrom so they can make an educated decision in the offseason on how to handle their 2 waiver eligible goalies.:sarcasm:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Shocking. You run a rookie goalie into the ground playing him 16 straight games including 3 games in 4 nights and he struggles.

Oh well, at least management will get a great look at Markstrom so they can make an educated decision in the offseason on how to handle their 2 waiver eligible goalies.:sarcasm:

LOL Markstrom will probably start with a SO, then they will ride the hot goalie, right to 9th place, ending this great season with a bad pick and a fresh goalie controversy...

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I think Torts is running with him because he is not showing any clear signs of fatigue. He seems a safe option for that reason. Will he? Possibly. When that happens though, I think Torts will more readily go to Markstrom.

not many goalies out there that play in 15 game chunks and don't show signs. I think Lack has shown signs over the past few weeks of the workload, moving a lot in the net, waving his glove a bit much and making some miscues outside the crease.

This team needs to figure out what they have in Markstrom and fast because if they don't have confidence in him we are going to need a 1b/solid back up for next season.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
not many goalies out there that play in 15 game chunks and don't show signs. I think Lack has shown signs over the past few weeks of the workload, moving a lot in the net, waving his glove a bit much and making some miscues outside the crease.

This team needs to figure out what they have in Markstrom and fast because if they don't have confidence in him we are going to need a 1b/solid back up for next season.

Are we going to really know what we have in markstrom even playing him a few games at the end of the year? We know he struggled in fla, and they felt he was a long way off so much so they gave up on him, and the media reports are the canucks see him as a project for melanson. Wouldnt rollie be equally capable conveying to management how far markstrom is in his development?

This wont be an easy decision next season with regards to whether we bring someone else in or not. Times like these its not easy being a gm. Do you bring in a halak if you can, but then you have to consider his cap hit. Is he going to want 4 million? Then your not really not saving any space anymore.

Its to bad budaj's contract is not up or some vet who could nearly split workload with lack for cheap.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
last time Santorelli suffered a brutal shoulder injury his game went straight into the toilet. I can see why Gillis would be non-committal.

Mike is a hard worker and this injury he just started rehabbing. The last injury you speak of had little to do with his bouncing back not as strong. Sometimes there are other things going on that we as fans arent privy too, which is why I always laugh when someone is slumping, the HF answer is 'hes probably playing hurt'. These guys are human beings, believe me, some VERY simple people despite the money. After a full summer of rehab, I dont see that shoulder slowing him down. He wants to stay here, but obviously the Canucks have to make him an offer, and if they do it has to be something of market value.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
well hopefully the team work hard for the remainder of the 6 games......like calgary and maybe get some wins even if playoff hope is gone. It would be good for next season

How? There will be roster and (probably) coaching changes in the summer. Whether we go 6-0 or 0-6 will not impact next year's team one iota. It could however alter our drafting position by as many as 5 slots. This, unlike the goodness you speak of, is quantifiable.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
How? There will be roster and (probably) coaching changes in the summer. Whether we go 6-0 or 0-6 will not impact next year's team one iota. It could however alter our drafting position by as many as 5 slots. This, unlike the goodness you speak of, is quantifiable.

In my ideal scenario the Canucks lose the next 4 games in regulation then destroy the Flames and Oilers because that's fun. Nucks finish @ 83 points....

My guess for spots would be:

1. Buffalo
2. Florida
3. Edmonton
4. NYI
5. Calgary
6. Nashville (hard schedule)
7. Winnipeg
8. Carolina
9. Vancouver
10. Ottawa
11. New Jersey
12. Toronto

That's probably best we can hope for, which kinda sucks because unless the Canes take Fluery Nucks will probably need to take a flyer on Virtanen who i'm not sold on.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
start markstrom for the final 5 games or whatever. seasons over. lack is obviously faitugued. torts should at least give the kid a chance..

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I was kind of rooting for the Coyotes to beat the Wild, because with the Wild's tough schedule they would have been much more likely to slump down the stretch. Even if the Coyotes do drop out, which I think they might, Dallas is in the way. It would take massive help on the out of town scoreboard now, Dallas and Phoenix must lose and I don't see both teams slumping like that.

As for Lack, I don't think he's ready to be the Canucks starter. Way too many soft goals given up for a starter, and I think that Islanders game may have been the decider for management. I'd bring in Halak on a short term deal, shelter Lack for another season, and see where we are at next year's trade deadline.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I think it's hard to make any judgement about Lack as a future #1 from this season.

First the Luongo situation, followed by 15 consecutive starts in a hockey frenzy market. I think that would rattle almost any goalie. However, I'm not sure bringing in a veteran is the right move, particularly since Markstrom has the potential to emerge as a viable option in Vancouver next season.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Now he is playing like he dont give a ****.

Hopefully playing AV will motivate him a tiny bit. I say this because I'll actually be at the game. I dont want to lose to that gum-chewing ... :rant:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

This frustrates me as well. It was pretty evident about a month ago that the Canucks were going to miss the playoffs. While I understand Tortorella's intention not to give up until they are mathematically eliminated, I think management should have stepped in weeks ago to ensure that young players, auditioning for jobs next year, got lots of playing time.

Markstrom, Corrado, Jensen, and Archibald all should be seeing significant time right now so that management can evaluate which players are ready and which are not. A few games at the end of the season isn't a large enough sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions. For example, consider Jensen's streaky play. At times he has looked like he could be a competent top six forward, but more recently, he looks miles away from the NHL.

Markstrom's case is interesting. Presumably they targeted him in the Luongo trade, but given how how little he has played so far, its impossible to know whether he is ready for the NHL. As a result, it is going to be difficult to determine whether a veteran goalie (such as Halak, or Hiller) is required.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
torts is an idiot for playing lack this many games in a row. I dont care about his ******** excuse that markstrom isn't ready, lack has needed a rest for some time. It's not as if Markstrom hasn't played in the league before. Playing one or two games this season isn't going to destroy Rollie's progress with him.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
torts is an idiot for playing lack this many games in a row. I dont care about his ******** excuse that markstrom isn't ready, lack has needed a rest for some time. It's not as if Markstrom hasn't played in the league before. Playing one or two games this season isn't going to destroy Rollie's progress with him.

Playing Markstrom actually gives them more chance to evaluate him and work on his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad