Post-Game Talk: And here be our Swan Song. Canucks lose 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Didn't Kesler have 50 assists playing beside Raymond? I guess Raymond was being held back by Kesler all this time, he just couldn't carry Kesler anymore!

09/10 Kesler is a completely different player that we all wish he still was.

10/11 is when Kesler was a powerplay point compiler.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
09/10 Kesler is a completely different player that we all wish he still was.

10/11 is when Kesler was a powerplay point compiler.

I think those injuries that Kesler suffer really change him and he has not been the same again......I guess it is better to trade him and we can hope Horvat or someone can replace his production

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
There's a chicken and egg scenario with Kesler assists. Does he have low assists because he's a bad passer or because nobody but him is able to score? His line isn't the only one going bankrupt. No one is thriving and unless he has magic offense sapping ability from the bench, I'm not sure it's on him.

I don't fault him, but I'm pretty keen about trying to move on from him if you can get some quality futures back.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
There's a chicken and egg scenario with Kesler assists. Does he have low assists because he's a bad passer or because nobody but him is able to score? His line isn't the only one going bankrupt. No one is thriving and unless he has magic offense sapping ability from the bench, I'm not sure it's on him.

I don't fault him, but I'm pretty keen about trying to move on from him if you can get some quality futures back.

He's a bad passer, but he's never had quality linemates either.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
I think those injuries that Kesler suffer really change him and he has not been the same again......I guess it is better to trade him and we can hope Horvat or someone can replace his production

Im ok with this. Pittsburgh wants him bad apparently. Its not like Kesler has been a difference maker the last 2 years, might as well move him to a team looking to overpay.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
They were able to get assets from the one place luongo was willing to go to for an 'untraceable' contract. Luongo wanted out badly. How could they not trade him when they finally had a chance too.

Not sure where I argued in favour of keeping Luongo. Could've picked up a variety of veteran goaltenders at the deadline and ran with three.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008

Just an observation but I would say that Kesler's passing abilities are poor. The majority of his assist comes from rebounds off his shot, the powerplay, or scramble plays. Assets of a 3rd line center/ 2009/10 Kesler.

I really wish he had better wingers than these 5 during his time here.

What more do you (Kesler need?) want? He had 2 50pt line mates on a team who spent the majority of it's capspace on it's defense.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
I really wish he had better wingers than these 5 during his time here.

In all honesty, Kesler has to be moved to wing. Does he want to be a good 2 way forward or a goal scorer. Seems like he thinks hes a goal scorer now so put him on the wing. I think his self entitlement problem is hurting his on ice ability, one does not simply 40 goals.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
I disagree. Lack had shown what he could do, and it was enough to bank on him as a starter for the remaining games IMO (edit: not all games, just the majority as the starter). Again, he's not the reason for the team's loss/losses. So I'm unsure why it's an issue?

I'm unsure as to what you're arguing. I'm fine with the Canucks banking on Lack as the starter down the stretch. I'm not ok with the fact that Torts has all but said that he doesn't trust Markstrom to play a single game. Huge difference between being a starter and being the only goaltender on the team.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
J
What more do you (Kesler need?) want? He had 2 50pt line mates on a team who spent the majority of it's capspace on it's defense.

Higgins is good on the second line, but on my ideal team he's playing 3rd line. Demitra, Sundin - bleh. Raymond was...Raymond. Always needed to get a bonafide 2nd line winger for Kes instead of these fringe, meh players. Samuelsson? Come on.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Higgins is good on the second line, but on my ideal team he's playing 3rd line. Demitra, Sundin - bleh. Raymond was...Raymond. Always needed to get a bonafide 2nd line winger for Kes instead of these fringe, meh players. Samuelsson? Come on.

Your expectations of a 2nd line player are out to lunch.

Ventana*

Samuelsson was a great 2nd liner.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm unsure as to what you're arguing. I'm fine with the Canucks banking on Lack as the starter down the stretch. I'm not ok with the fact that Torts has all but said that he doesn't trust Markstrom to play a single game. Huge difference between being a starter and being the only goaltender on the team.

Why is this even a point of issue in this GDT? My point is why is even Lack a concern right now when he was not the reason for the loss?

To me, this kind of thing comes up if Lack is showing clear fatigue. He is not, so what does the goaltending situation via Luongo/Schneider/Lack even get brought up? Even the comment about irresponsibility by the GM (not you) in not getting a vet back up to spell Lack - Again, this only gets traction if Lack is found wanting in this game. Was he? Not in my opinion.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
At last the hope is dead. Can't say I'm too upset, this was coming for a while no matter how long the last bits of life spasmed out of this team. On to next year and more success.

Kesler at the draft and bring in some more young guys who can be impact players once the core is done. The future can be bright, hell even just the near future

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
Listening to Gillis on his last radio interview, to me he didn't sound like he was too certain Santorelli would be re-signed....he kept saying that they had some young players pushing to make our lineup. He spoke well of Santorelli but he was very non-committal about trying to re-signing him.

last time Santorelli suffered a brutal shoulder injury his game went straight into the toilet. I can see why Gillis would be non-committal.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Why is this even a point of issue in this GDT? My point is why is even Lack a concern right now when he was not the reason for the loss?

To me, this kind of thing comes up if Lack is showing clear fatigue. He is not, so what does the goaltending situation via Luongo/Schneider/Lack even get brought up? Even the comment about irresponsibility by the GM (not you) in not getting a vet back up to spell Lack - Again, this only gets traction if Lack is found wanting in this game. Was he? Not in my opinion.

To me, its an issue, but also a non-issue...Torts has to be smarter than this. Why burn out your #1 while letting your unknown backup sit for weeks on end? Lack is going to get tired, how many games in a row does he have to play to satisfy Torts?

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

You've completely missed our points. Perhaps our points belong in the GM thread, but as the teams playoff hopes are realistically over, these questions arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad