Analyzing the Future of the Edmonton Oilers

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
And then there's the effort issue..

The effort issue could be applied to almost every team. Your former coach was swinging sticks across practice to get the team to work harder due to lack of effort. The season was over and the Oilers mailed it in. No one is denying they need to dig deeper but effort issue is probably on the lower end of my concerns with this team.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The effort issue could be applied to almost every team. Your former coach was swinging sticks across practice to get the team to work harder due to lack of effort. The season was over and the Oilers mailed it in. No one is denying they need to dig deeper but effort issue is probably on the lower end of my concerns with this team.
You are right. It happens to every team. The difference being that it only happens to good teams occasionally. Bad teams usually tend to have more than their fair share of lack of effort. Would you not say the oilers fall into the latter category? I would. McLellan has frequently publicly criticized the Oilers with regards to their lack of effort.
I guess what makes our teams different is that at the end of the season Treliving specifically addressed the issue that there were too Flames ok with losing, which implies that this issue was at or near the top of his list. I translate what he said to mean that there were too many players in the locker room regularly mailing in their game. This is an issue that Trelving has tried to address by shaking up the locker room through trades and not offering contracts to a number of Flames UFA's or RFA's.

Now its ok that you feel that effort, or lack of effort, is at low end of your concerns list but personally I'd move it up higher. The Oilers went from 103 points in 2017 (8th) to 77 points in 2018 (23rd in the league). I think that a lack of player effort in multiple games played a big part in their disastrous season last year.

Reactions: Hippasus

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I will never understand how someone thought surrounding the fastest player in the NHL with slow physical players was ever a good idea
He tried to build a team to match the heavy St.Louis, LA, Duck teams in the west.. Unfortunately the meta was shifting to speed and a quick transition game. So too little, too late.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Here’s my probable lineup for this season:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie(but that can/will change if he doesn’t bring 100% every night
Rieder-Drai-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Aberg
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Caggiula-Warm body

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russell-Benning
Gravel

Talbot
Koskinen

Strengths

Centre
Youth (very young roster)

Weaknesses

RW
Lack true #1 defenceman

Question marks

Goaltending
Defensive group
Special teams
Can callups like Yamamoto, Benson, Marody, Bear, Jones, and Lagesson hold their own.

I think this group *SHOULD* be a playoff team, but it’ll depend on the question marks. If he hit on all four, might challenge for the division. If we hit on none of the four... well, at least the 2019 draft class looks strong.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I will never understand how someone thought surrounding the fastest player in the NHL with slow physical players was ever a good idea
Chiarelli is not your average GM...... he is Milbury 2.0 enhanced to f*** up even more.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Here’s my probable lineup for this season:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie(but that can/will change if he doesn’t bring 100% every night
Rieder-Drai-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Aberg
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Caggiula-Warm body

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russell-Benning
Gravel

Talbot
Koskinen

Strengths

Centre
Youth (very young roster)

Weaknesses

RW
Lack true #1 defenceman

Question marks

Goaltending
Defensive group
Special teams
Can callups like Yamamoto, Benson, Marody, Bear, Jones, and Lagesson hold their own.

I think this group *SHOULD* be a playoff team, but it’ll depend on the question marks. If he hit on all four, might challenge for the division. If we hit on none of the four... well, at least the 2019 draft class looks strong.

The wings should be listed as a weakness also. Puljujarvi and Rattie are question marks, just as much as the other call-ups. They basically are call-ups! Which Lucic will we get? Which Rieder? I think it's near the absolute bottom of the league when it comes to wing, unless we see some big improvements.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Come on, Hall was moved because it was Hall's team in the locker room and they wanted it to be McDavid's team.

This is undoubtedly the most uninformed post in this thread. Hall's team? Sure, if you were part of his clique. Just look at his history with various vets (namely Ference, Scrivens and Belanger). The guy is a fantastic talent, but he wasn't the same player he was this year during his tenure in Edmonton. It took the embarrassment of being traded (ie: being labeled part of the problem) to motivate him enough to buy in and be a leader for the Devils.

As for the thread topic, I think the OP is fairly accurate, but I think the D is being sold short. Sekera - if healthy and completely recovered from his injury - is a good #3. The Klefbom-Larsson played a top pair role in 2016-17 and held their own. Why wouldn't they bounce back (considering Klefbom played through an injured shoulder before electing for surgery; Larsson's season was derailed by the unexpected passing of his father).

The D will be better. Goaltending should be better based on better competition and both guys playing for their next contract. Wing is most definitely a weakness. Should be a playoff team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The wings should be listed as a weakness also. Puljujarvi and Rattie are question marks, just as much as the other call-ups. They basically are call-ups! Which Lucic will we get? Which Rieder? I think it's near the absolute bottom of the league when it comes to wing, unless we see some big improvements.

I listed RW as a weakness. I don’t think a LW group of RNH-Rieder-Lucic-Khaira is a bad group at all.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

That's what happens when you're GM is stuck in hos glory days of 2010. At least the team will be faster going into next season with Lucic as the only slow player.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don’t see the similarities.
Star player, great goalie (when on form in Talbot's case). Some good complementary players but little depth. Enough to get the playoffs, but not enough go far imo. Guess I should've said 06-09 Flames since the 04 team made the finals

We were strong on the wings and weak at center, while it's the opposite for the Oilers.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
You are right. It happens to every team. The difference being that it only happens to good teams occasionally. Bad teams usually tend to have more than their fair share of lack of effort. Would you not say the oilers fall into the latter category?
Effort is the crutch used by fans that have no idea how to break down what is happening in a game.

Like the 14/15 Flames were all about effort! They tied a while bunch of games with a couple minutes left on fluke plays and snuck into the playoffs.

Had they not gotten that luck the "effort" fans would have been all over them.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
They have one if not the best player in the league. Some other good young players to go with that. If they had some competent management and perhaps coaching they would be contending year in and out.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
They either make the playoffs or Chiarelli gets fired. Win-win for most Oilers fans.

There has been a lot of talk from Gulutzan about the team playing a visibly different system next season. Different forechecks, breakouts, and transitioning up the ice. This is long overdue and a welcomed change.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad