Analyzing the Future of the Edmonton Oilers

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I agree. The same holds true for the coaching position. Katz has stocked the cupboard with Oilers alumni or relatives of Oilers alumni that Katz believes can fill the GM and coach's shoes.
Bob Nicholson is the conduit between Katz and the management. It'll be up to Bob who the next GM is if Chiarelli gets canned.

But you are right about the alumni being around still, though their say in decisions is less than it was and they apparently lost a power struggle this offseason when Chiarelli wasn't removed and Coffey didn't get a job on the coaching staff. Lowe, MacTavish, and Howson have no business being part of a professional sports organization and if they had any dignity remaining they would have stepped away when they drove the team into the sewer.

If there is a GM change next year I would hope Keith Gretzky is considered. People will roll their eyes because of his last name but he's actually qualified and has done some good work as a scout/assistant GM with three NHL teams.

This year's coaching staff is the first in the entire NHL history of the franchise that doesn't include at least one former Oilers player on it. Manny Viveiros was drafted by the team but never played a game.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
What, rnh isn’t good enough to be a number 2 center?

It was more a satirical comment about trading away our second best player for "depth". We did that with Hall....unfortunately it didn't work out. Chiarelli's idea of depth is large immovable objects. The problem with immovable objects like lucic is that they never get going fast enough to be unstoppable forces.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah. Soundwave definitely has a hardon for the Flames.

Coming from a fanbase that has an entire message board that's obsessed with the Oilers over at CP, that's a bit of a laugh, but sure whatever floats your boat. I reply to things if presented to them.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm directly replying to OvermanKingGainer who's clearly a Flames fan. He's talking about the Oilers and Avs talent, buddy go take a look in the mirror, no GM in the NHL (Treliving included) would start a team with Gaudreau + Monahan over McDavid + Draisaitl or MacKinnon + Rantanen. And that's not slighting Gaudreau or Monahan, but lets be real here too.
You were talking about a team's core group.
I'd rather start a team with the Oilers (McDavid) or Avs (MacKinnon) core group than what the Flames have
Two players on a team make up a core group? Buddy, this is hockey not basketball. Two players do not make a core.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
As opposed to CP which is an entire board obsessed with the Oilers? lol. I reply to stuff if its directly presented.
What??? How did CP get dragged into this and how does what CP posters do or don't do, have any relevance to what you say on HF?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You were talking about a team's core group.

Two players on a team make up a core group? Buddy, this is hockey not basketball. Two players do not make a core.

Two players are still a fundamental big part of the core, its not like the Flames are some All-Star team past their top 2 players either. If they were they'd have more than a playoff round win post 2015 to show for it.

The fact is if you want to talk "cores" they've been overtaken since 2015 by Toronto, Winnipeg, and Edmonton overall just on the Canadian side and Vancouver may not be far behind depending on who they get in next year's draft.

I would take the Avs core over theirs too, even though they've had ups and downs.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Bob Nicholson is the conduit between Katz and the management. It'll be up to Bob who the next GM is if Chiarelli gets canned.
….
If there is a GM change next year I would hope Keith Gretzky is considered. People will roll their eyes because of his last name but he's actually qualified and has done some good work as a scout/assistant GM with three NHL teams.
…..
I agree with the stuff in your statement, that I didn't quote.
Bob will make the GM recommendation but it will be up to Katz to approve it. Too many ex Oiler buddies whispering in Daryl's ear to have complete confidence in "what Bob wants Bob gets".

I know Keith Gretzky as a hockey player. I don't know Keith Gretzky as an Assistant GM. Who really knows what the Assistant GM does on a hockey club? How much input has he had in decisions made. I don't know. When hiring a former Assistant GM as a new GM its always a bit of a gamble.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Fire Chiarelli and start doing something. You can't have a back-to-back Art Ross winning generational talent and not make the playoffs. I can't believe how little the Oilers have done this offseason.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I'm directly replying to OvermanKingGainer who's clearly a Flames fan. He's talking about the Oilers and Avs talent, buddy go take a look in the mirror, no GM in the NHL (Treliving included) would start a team with Gaudreau + Monahan over McDavid + Draisaitl or MacKinnon + Rantanen. And that's not slighting Gaudreau or Monahan, but lets be real here too.
I'm not your buddy, pal.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not your buddy, pal.

I believe I was referencing OKG not you, lol, but OK.

The "Around the NHL" thread on the Oilers board isn't fixated on any one team. There's plenty of talk about the Leafs or Jets or whatever. There's no freaking 15 year old thread going on about the Flames.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I believe I was referencing OKG not you, lol, but OK.

The "Around the NHL" thread on the Oilers board isn't fixated on any one team. There's plenty of talk about the Leafs or Jets or whatever. There's no freaking 15 year old thread going on about the Flames.
Well if it makes you feel better, most CFHF posters know that CP is a cesspool but hey keep checking that thread if it makes you feel better. :thumbu:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Well if it makes you feel better, most CFHF posters know that CP is a cesspool but hey keep checking that thread if it makes you feel better. :thumbu:
By cesspool do mean toxic or something else? It can be toxic at times but I have to admit that they have some very knowledgeable and intelligent posters on there. Unfortunately the often blatant drive by shootings, derision and belittling, and wolf pack piling on can be somewhat off putting after a while. You do not want to go against the flow on CP... unless you belong to the old boys club.
Checking the site isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes there is much insight to gained by doing so. Buyer beware though should you decide to post. It can get vicious over there.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
except we don't have a single thread dedicated to one team..."Around the NHL" talks about multiple teams
Why have a single thread when you can attempt to beat them up in multiple threads? Anyways why do you care so much about what they say over at CP? Are you a member there? Have they personally insulted you over there?
Get over it. CP likes to throw dirt at the Oilers. So what.

P.S. I also don't think the HF mods would allow a "Edmonton Is No Good (chapter 5): Same Crap, Less Cap" type of thread (which I believe is the CP thread you are referring to} about the Flames here on HF.

Last edited:

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Likely need to be carried by McDavid and have an outstanding year from one of their goaltenders to have a sniff this year. If not then I’m sure they will be ok in a couple years with a lot of good recent picks able to step up. They would also have fired Chia and Todd if they fail so likely would be looking at a new front office.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
50 wins , 24 losses in KHL playoffs. Highest save% in the playoffs history. Yes, all this means nothing xD

Where did I say it means NOTHING? Please show me where.

All I said is that you can't compare NHL stats from a goalie like Brayden Holtby to KHL stats which honestly should be VERY obvious. Most people understand that, I'm not even sure why it needs to be explained. A lot of KHL goalies that are great over there are just NHL left overs.

For example, Lars Johansson never was able to crack an NHL roster and had a better save percentage than Koskinen last season. Same for Ryan Zapolski who finished the season with a .931 save % and never made it out of the ECHL. Kari Ramo (.930) and Jhonas Enroth (.923) are not even NHL backup quality and they post better/similar season numbers than Brayden Holtby's best NHL season (.925).

Why are you comparing KHL stats to NHL stats?? How does that make any sense for you? xD

The best scorers in the KHL are guys like Brendan Bochenski, Kevin Dallman,Nigel Dawes, Stefan Da Costa, Vadim Shipachev, Alexander Perezhogin. Most of these guys can't even play in the NHL.

Do you think it's harder to stop a shot from Alexander Ovechkin, Sydney Crosby, Nikita Kucherov, Tyler Seguin, and etc or the guys above?

Put Brayden Holtby in the KHL he will have a .999 save percentage stopping these scrubs. Being good in the KHL really doesn't mean a lot when you compare it to the NHL. The quality of the players is just not even comparable in any way.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Will the Sekera injury force Chiarelli into making some trades? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?... Chia being Chia.
Sekera's injury could very well be a career ending injury given his injury history, and the fact that this type of injury is often very difficult to come back from, especially considering Sekera's age.
One silver lining in this cloud is that having Sekera on the LTIR list will provide much needed cap space.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Will the Sekera injury force Chiarelli into making some trades? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?... Chia being Chia.
Sekera's injury could very well be a career ending injury given his injury history, and the fact that this type of injury is often very difficult to come back from, especially considering Sekera's age.
One silver lining in this cloud is that having Sekera on the LTIR list will provide much needed cap space.
They'll blow this capspace on Nurse or whoever they bring in, then they'll be left with 0 again. And round we go

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
Dont know what is worse. CP having a thread about the oilers or oilers fans constantly bringing up a thread on CPs forum. CP gets brought up on the daily around here, you mentioning it feeds them what they need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad