Analyzing the Future of the Edmonton Oilers

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Now someone did a thread deciding to "analyze" the Calgary flames future, so I decided to analyze the oilers and what the future holds for them. Now being a fan of a division rival, you could argue that I'll be bias, but I think I can do a decent job (I'll probably get shit on regardless ;)). First I'll get into the pieces they already have, and extrapolate from there.

Forward group:
The oilers have some pretty good centre depth, which mcdavid, draisatl, and strome rounding out the top 3 lines. Everybody knows what mcdavid already is capable of, and draisatl is an excellent top 6 centre (whether he's an elite centre who can carry a line remains to be seen). Strome can put up 35 pts a season, so overall their centre depth is solid. From there however, it gets kinda ugly...

Their LW is pretty poor with the exception of RNH. Lucic at this point is already having issues with his footspeed and should be relegated to the bottom 6, but I don't see any viable replacements within the organization that could play top 6 on the lw. Reider could be an option if lucic is doing terrible, but it really isn't ideal given his points production. The Oilers don't have any notable prospects that can fill in a top 6 lw spot, so it looks like lucic will have to hold the fort for now.... oof.

The RW is pretty awful right now, but there's a lot more hope in this regard. Rattie should not be a permanent replacement on the top line, and regardless he will probably be gone after this year (either he disappoints or he demands a big raise that the Oilers won't be able to afford), but I really think pool party could still be an excellent top liner. I know there have been some to give up on him, but he's only 20 for god sakes! Give him a top 6 role and some pp time, and I think he could light it up. The oilers also have Yamamoto in the pipeline which should help a lot, though I personally don't see him on the lineup until the next season. Nonetheless, there is some hope here, but it's gonna rely on someone breaking out.

Defense:
Surprisingly not as awful as some might think (though it still has issues nonetheless). Nurse is absolutely the face of this defense, and he's the guy with the most upside on this blue line and probably the best they've got. Larson is a solid #4 shutdown guy, but he really shouldn't be on the top pairing, especially with his lackluster offense. Klefbolm is another solid second pairing guy as well, but from there, it's a little sketchy. At this point, either Benning or Russell is the #4 guy, and idk how I feel about that. Benning is decent, but I feel the oilers could use an upgrade. But he's cheap and still has some upside, so it could be worse. Sekera and Russell as bottom pairing guys is terrible, not because they are bad players (granted Sekera was bad this year, and Russell has always had bad underlying numbers), but because those contracts are just bad. Paying 10 million a year for your 3rd pairing really hinders a team in regards to cap flexibility, and it's an awful blemish on a team that needs all the cap is can find to improve. It's a servicable third pairing, but 10 million should buy a lot more than that. Overall, it's not bad, but what I do find concerning is a lack of offense in this blue line. Bouchard could solve that, but he won't be ready for at least a couple years baring something miraculous. Bear is still in the pipeline and could be a nice bottom pairing defensemen, but that's about it in regards to prospects.

Bad management:

Now everyone likes to shit on chia for being a bad gm, and frankly he deserves a lot of it. But Edmonton in general has been a tire fire for the better of a decade, and the lack of accountability in the organization has been shocking. How mctavish and Lowe have jobs in this organization is stunning, especially with the godawful trades and drafting that occurred under them, and the oilers have needed a shakeup for a long time...

That doesn't excuse chia for what he has done either. He had mcdavid fall to him, and there were pieces on this team to build around (Hall, eberle, draisatl, rnh, nurse, klefbom, ect). He has done a terrific job at trying to make this team has uncompetitive as possible by trading away assets and getting returns for fractions of what they were worth (see hall for Larson, eberle for strome). I guess you can make the argument that these trades were necessary because reasons (though I doubt they'd be very good)? Cap management has also been horrible, and when your top 2 players get 21 million a year, that can be a deadly mix. Lucic's contract looks terrible at this point, and he's stuck on the team for 5 more years unless somehow they can get rid of that contract. Sekera and Russell have another 3 years left, and those two will be almost unmovable as well. As a result, the Oilers currently have just under 5 million to sign nurse this season (likely a bridge), after which pulijarvi (and if rattie stays) will need to be resigned and could be looking for raises. With very few pieces that can be moved, I have no clue how the Oilers are gonna fit everybody. I'll give credit to chias drafting which is significantly improved, but it still can't make up for the rest of his flaws.

On the hot seat:

Chia didn't make a lot of moves this offseason, mainly due to how little cap the team has had and just a poor pool of assets to trade (either pieces that can't be moved due to importance or lack of value). This is likely for the best (seeing as how his moves have often ended rather poorly), but nonetheless chia's job is on the line and will depend on how the team performs this coming seasons. I could absolutely see this team taking a playoff spot, but there's a lot of holes in this lineup that can't be fixed in an instant, and chia's bad asset management hasn't helped. If this team doesn't make it this season, he is probably done. It could be good for the organization, but at the same time, the Oilers really cannot hire somebody internally again to replace him. Find some fresh blood elsewhere or you'll end up regretting it...

Conclusion: Short term troubles, long term hope

Despite the issues the team has now, I still think this team has a semi-bright future. There are good players in Edmonton, and assuming some of the crap can be removed (lucic, Russell, sekera), this team could be able to make the moves to improve enough to be a contendor. However, the short term looks to have more issues. The roster is little improved, the team looks to be locked into some bad contracts, and the farm team is still lacking a lot of good prospects (though this is changing). I know I didn't get into coaching (which btw did have some nice additions) and somehow completely forgot to address goaltending, but I think I put the point out there. There's a lot of potential here, but it's going to be up to management to turn this around and stop screwing things up. It would be great to see the Oilers do well again and make the battle of Alberta more interesting - this flames fan is certainly hoping so ;). Best of luck to Oilers fans, you guys deserve some for your undesired loyalty to this team.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'd be scared of Edmonton with McDavid if they had competent management. With the current group of muppets they have in place, I don't think they give McDavid the help he needs to push them over the hump.

Can't wait to see the next big Chiarelli trade.

Reactions: DancesWithWookies

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The only thing I'm even remotely excited about this upcoming season is watching McDavid hopefully winning a third Art Ross. Outside of that, the team is a mess and are a few key injuries away from falling off the rails. They don't have the depth to fill, well anything. lol

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Oilers suck. They have two decent players (McJesus and Drysaddle) who are highly over rated and definitely over paid. The team is destined to be perennial basement dwellers with no chance of success for the next 20 years. The city and the fans suck too.
How am I doing? Did I miss anything?

Ok, now that I've stated all the gratuitous and totally unobjective and unreasonable Oiler hate there's no reason for the rest of the worms to come out of the woodwork.

Let the thoughtful and unbiased analysis begin.

I'm jealous that the Oilers have the best player in the league on their roster. I wish the Oilers had drafted Sam Bennett so then the Flames would have picked Draisaitl. The Oilers need to totally rework team management starting with Chiarelli who I believe to be one of the worst GM's in the league based on his record so far with Edmonton and his past record with Boston. Can't believe this guy still has a job as a GM.
The Oilers have a few holes to fill starting with the defense.
I believe the Oilers will bounce back from the godawful season they had last year and contend for a playoff spot but I don't believe they will be the team that they were in 2016-2017 when EVERYTHING went right.
I believe that the Battle of Alberta is back on and fans will have the pleasure of watching many future hard fought wars between the two clubs. I believe the secret to beatng the Oilers is to somehow contain McDavid's speed. Not sure if that's possible for a whole 60 minutes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They have McDavid so they're never really that far away
In 7 years with the Nordiques, Joe Sakic saw 12 playoffs games. In that time he played with a number of great players including Peter Forsberg, Owen Nolan, Mats Sundin, Mike Ricci, Steve Duchesne, Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet, Guy Lafleur... etc.

This isn't the NBA where 1 or 2 elite players will lead you to the Finals.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They did nothing this summer so I assume this means management thinks last season was a bit of a hiccup as opposed to an actual problem.

We will see if a healthy defense, a couple of new coaches, and a better Talbot is the answer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They did nothing this summer so I assume this means management thinks last season was a bit of a hiccup as opposed to an actual problem.

We will see if a healthy defense, a couple of new coaches, and a better Talbot is the answer.
I take it as they have had no cap space since McDavid's new deal kicked in and no one would take Lucic

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The Oilers don't have any cap space so it is definitely more difficult to make improvements.

I don't think they even have the space to sign Nurse long-term so they'll be forced to bridge him, which will probably end up costing more cap space when the bridge deal ends.

The biggest thing for them is Talbot bouncing back, I think.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

To be honest they have extremely limited cap space, as predicted by many on here and refuted by many Oiler fans, when they signed McDavid, Draisaitl, and Lucic. Currently, they just don't have the $$ to go out and get an impact UFA.
The only option is trades. I'm sure they would love to trade Lucic in order to open up some cap space but that's not going to happen any time soon, or at least not until he shows significant improvement in his play and value.
As to other trades, do you really want Chiarelli handling those? Every significant trade that he's made he's ended up with the short end of the stick.

Nope. Best plan is to wait and see and hope for the best.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Now someone did a thread deciding to "analyze" the Calgary flames future, so I decided to analyze the oilers and what the future holds for them. Now being a fan of a division rival, you could argue that I'll be bias, but I think I can do a decent job (I'll probably get **** on regardless ;)). First I'll get into the pieces they already have, and extrapolate from there.

Forward group:
The oilers have some pretty good centre depth, which mcdavid, draisatl, and strome rounding out the top 3 lines. Everybody knows what mcdavid already is capable of, and draisatl is an excellent top 6 centre (whether he's an elite centre who can carry a line remains to be seen). Strome can put up 35 pts a season, so overall their centre depth is solid. From there however, it gets kinda ugly...

Their LW is pretty poor with the exception of RNH. Lucic at this point is already having issues with his footspeed and should be relegated to the bottom 6, but I don't see any viable replacements within the organization that could play top 6 on the lw. Reider could be an option if lucic is doing terrible, but it really isn't ideal given his points production. The Oilers don't have any notable prospects that can fill in a top 6 lw spot, so it looks like lucic will have to hold the fort for now.... oof.

The RW is pretty awful right now, but there's a lot more hope in this regard. Rattie should not be a permanent replacement on the top line, and regardless he will probably be gone after this year (either he disappoints or he demands a big raise that the Oilers won't be able to afford), but I really think pool party could still be an excellent top liner. I know there have been some to give up on him, but he's only 20 for god sakes! Give him a top 6 role and some pp time, and I think he could light it up. The oilers also have Yamamoto in the pipeline which should help a lot, though I personally don't see him on the lineup until the next season. Nonetheless, there is some hope here, but it's gonna rely on someone breaking out.

Defense:
Surprisingly not as awful as some might think (though it still has issues nonetheless). Nurse is absolutely the face of this defense, and he's the guy with the most upside on this blue line and probably the best they've got. Larson is a solid #4 shutdown guy, but he really shouldn't be on the top pairing, especially with his lackluster offense. Klefbolm is another solid second pairing guy as well, but from there, it's a little sketchy. At this point, either Benning or Russell is the #4 guy, and idk how I feel about that. Benning is decent, but I feel the oilers could use an upgrade. But he's cheap and still has some upside, so it could be worse. Sekera and Russell as bottom pairing guys is terrible, not because they are bad players (granted Sekera was bad this year, and Russell has always had bad underlying numbers), but because those contracts are just bad. Paying 10 million a year for your 3rd pairing really hinders a team in regards to cap flexibility, and it's an awful blemish on a team that needs all the cap is can find to improve. It's a servicable third pairing, but 10 million should buy a lot more than that. Overall, it's not bad, but what I do find concerning is a lack of offense in this blue line. Bouchard could solve that, but he won't be ready for at least a couple years baring something miraculous. Bear is still in the pipeline and could be a nice bottom pairing defensemen, but that's about it in regards to prospects.

Bad management:

Now everyone likes to **** on chia for being a bad gm, and frankly he deserves a lot of it. But Edmonton in general has been a tire fire for the better of a decade, and the lack of accountability in the organization has been shocking. How mctavish and Lowe have jobs in this organization is stunning, especially with the godawful trades and drafting that occurred under them, and the oilers have needed a shakeup for a long time...

That doesn't excuse chia for what he has done either. He had mcdavid fall to him, and there were pieces on this team to build around (Hall, eberle, draisatl, rnh, nurse, klefbom, ect). He has done a terrific job at trying to make this team has uncompetitive as possible by trading away assets and getting returns for fractions of what they were worth (see hall for Larson, eberle for strome). I guess you can make the argument that these trades were necessary because reasons (though I doubt they'd be very good)? Cap management has also been horrible, and when your top 2 players get 21 million a year, that can be a deadly mix. Lucic's contract looks terrible at this point, and he's stuck on the team for 5 more years unless somehow they can get rid of that contract. Sekera and Russell have another 3 years left, and those two will be almost unmovable as well. As a result, the Oilers currently have just under 5 million to sign nurse this season (likely a bridge), after which pulijarvi (and if rattie stays) will need to be resigned and could be looking for raises. With very few pieces that can be moved, I have no clue how the Oilers are gonna fit everybody. I'll give credit to chias drafting which is significantly improved, but it still can't make up for the rest of his flaws.

On the hot seat:

Chia didn't make a lot of moves this offseason, mainly due to how little cap the team has had and just a poor pool of assets to trade (either pieces that can't be moved due to importance or lack of value). This is likely for the best (seeing as how his moves have often ended rather poorly), but nonetheless chia's job is on the line and will depend on how the team performs this coming seasons. I could absolutely see this team taking a playoff spot, but there's a lot of holes in this lineup that can't be fixed in an instant, and chia's bad asset management hasn't helped. If this team doesn't make it this season, he is probably done. It could be good for the organization, but at the same time, the Oilers really cannot hire somebody internally again to replace him. Find some fresh blood elsewhere or you'll end up regretting it...

Conclusion: Short term troubles, long term hope

Despite the issues the team has now, I still think this team has a semi-bright future. There are good players in Edmonton, and assuming some of the crap can be removed (lucic, Russell, sekera), this team could be able to make the moves to improve enough to be a contendor. However, the short term looks to have more issues. The roster is little improved, the team looks to be locked into some bad contracts, and the farm team is still lacking a lot of good prospects (though this is changing). I know I didn't get into coaching (which btw did have some nice additions) and somehow completely forgot to address goaltending, but I think I put the point out there. There's a lot of potential here, but it's going to be up to management to turn this around and stop screwing things up. It would be great to see the Oilers do well again and make the battle of Alberta more interesting - this flames fan is certainly hoping so ;). Best of luck to Oilers fans, you guys deserve some for your undesired loyalty to this team.

Larsson is a #2 on pretty much every team in the League. He does not provide much offense, but he is a workhorse in his own zone and one of the better hitters in the league.
Ideally he is paired with a Offensive Dman who he can cover for (see this years WHC when he played with Ekman)
Guy is so underrated because of the trade he was involved in.

Russel was also great last year, he was not the problem.

Reactions: Hippasus

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
To be honest they have extremely limited cap space, as predicted by many on here and refuted by many Oiler fans, when they signed McDavid, Draisaitl, and Lucic. Currently, they just don't have the $$ to go out and get an impact UFA.
The only option is trades. I'm sure they would love to trade Lucic in order to open up some cap space but that's not going to happen any time soon, or at least not until he shows significant improvement in his play and value.
As to other trades, do you really want Chiarelli handling those? Every significant trade that he's made he's ended up with the short end of the stick.

Nope. Best plan is to wait and see and hope for the best.

Signing UFA's is the worst thing they should be doing. How many times have UFA signings actually worked out for any team? For example Tavares with my Leafs, he will be a bad contract within 5 years for that 11 million guaranteed.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The horse has been beaten, decayed and decomposed, it's matter equally distributed across the universe, formed into a new horse, which again has been beaten, with this process repeating in an infinite loop.....

:deadhorse

..but the Taylor Hall trade might be the nail in the coffin that prevents Edmonton from ever becoming a championship team. there's a great chance they will not ever acquire a higher impact player at any position in McDavid's tenure than Hallsy was and is. that was such a huge blow despite Edmonton fans coping saying 'McD and Hallsy couldn't coexist' or something.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
The horse has been beaten, decayed and decomposed, it's matter equally distributed across the universe, formed into a new horse, which again has been beaten, with this process repeating in an infinite loop.....

..but the Taylor Hall trade might be the nail in the coffin that prevents Edmonton from ever becoming a championship team. there's a great chance they will not ever acquire a higher impact player at any position in McDavid's tenure than Hallsy was and is. that was such a huge blow despite Edmonton fans coping saying 'McD and Hallsy couldn't coexist' or something.
Yeah Hall did so much in Edmonton. When they traded him, he was a 60 point player.
Hall and McDavid did not work, they both want to carry the puck.
You also forget to mention they were a 105 point team the year after Hall left.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If Yamamoto and Puljujarvi can both contribute in the top 6 this year then they should be a playoff team.
If that's what they need then they're in big trouble. Yamamoto hasn't even made the team yet and Poolparty is currently a 3rd line player at best. To hope that both these players will be of top 6 quality, this year, is pie in the sky as far as I'm concerned.

Brando

May 21, 2017
If that's what they need then they're in big trouble. Yamamoto hasn't even made the team yet and Poolparty is currently a 3rd line player at best. To hope that both these players will be of top 6 quality, this year, is pie in the sky as far as I'm concerned.

It is and I don't see it happening. Their winger depth is just abysmal.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Yeah Hall did so much in Edmonton. When they traded him, he was a 60 point player.
Hall and McDavid did not work, they both want to carry the puck.
You also forget to mention they were a 105 point team the year after Hall left.

Come on, Hall was moved because it was Hall's team in the locker room and they wanted it to be McDavid's team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad