Proposal: anaheim - new york rangers

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Ducks also have a lot of cap space and need a skilled puck moving RHD. If the expansion is 7 -3 - 1, We'd protect Lindholm, Fowler, and DeAngelo.

This seems to be more what you hope they do, than what Murray will likely do given past precedent.

* To start with Murray never gives out big RFA contracts. Never. No matter how much cap space they have. Remember trying to get Lindholm signed? Bob let him sit into late October until he caved and signed the 6 x 5.2 contract, and he's far better than ADA. There's no way he trades much value for an RFA he has no reason to believe will sign a contact in line with how much the team would want to pay him

* He's arbitration eligible and would almost certainly leverage that to get the salary he thinks he deserves based on the prior year. BM trades off players who file for arbitration

* ADA is exactly the opposite of the sort of player than BM likes. Murray like players who toe the line. No controversy on or off the ice, not going off script on the ice to get creative, and not neglecting their defensive responsibilities for more offense. This is not a description of ADA

* The management adores Manson. They're not going to rush to trade him to bring in ADA instead. See below from the other Manson thread

Speaking of Manson to the Leafs, here are some LeBrun quotes from his radio spot this morning:

"... Anaheim loves the player"

"Bob Murray, the GM there, is a huge Josh Manson fan, so I don't what it would take to have even listening on that phone call."

"I think the price would be over the top at this point ..."

~12:49 --> LeBrun on Maple Leafs trying to land Pietrangelo and what other options are available

Reactions: Kalv

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
because he's 24 and just played his first 'full' NHL season. by your logic, Makar is a question mark, too.

You make it sound like he's 31 and just had a breakout season.

Oh ok, no player has ever had their best season in their mid 20's. Every single player ever has only kept increasing their production.

Also, full season is relative, he only played 7 more games than last season. And I'm not saying he won't put up the same points/more points, I'm saying it's possible he regresses. If he does, he doesn't have defense to fall back on. He may not be terrible defensively, he's just not good either. And again, he's on a top 5 offensive team compared to a bottom 3 offense... his points would go WAY down on Anaheim, who have very few forwards that can create offense.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Oh ok, no player has ever had their best season in their mid 20's. Every single player ever has only kept increasing their production.

Also, full season is relative, he only played 7 more games than last season. And I'm not saying he won't put up the same points/more points, I'm saying it's possible he regresses. If he does, he doesn't have defense to fall back on. He may not be terrible defensively, he's just not good either. And again, he's on a top 5 offensive team compared to a bottom 3 offense... his points would go WAY down on Anaheim, who have very few forwards that can create offense.

Watching most Rangers games, with the exception of Breadman, ADA "creates" more offense than the rest of the Fs.

He's also not the best on the defensive end, but I would really like to see him with a stable solid pairing before passing complete judgement.

Reactions: bl02

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Watching most Rangers games, with the exception of Breadman, ADA "creates" more offense than the rest of the Fs.

He's also not the best on the defensive end, but I would really like to see him with a stable solid pairing before passing complete judgement.

That's fair, but Anaheim's offense is a disaster. There is no way he'd break 50 points on this team (unless a lot of young guys break out at the same time). This team gets hemmed in a lot because there is no first line/top line players on this team and a lot of young guys (and not top picks) learning to adjust to the NHL. There is no being able to shelter him and give him majority offensive starts. And even if he does result in the Ducks getting a few more wins next season, is that what Anaheim should be doing? They need to develop the young guys and hope that they can get a good pick next year.

Reactions: Kalv

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Fowler, lindholm, and Manson come to mind... then they have some others that could be exposed on D.

I don’t see thrm going 8-1.

Why would a rebuilding team want to acquire someone 3 yrs from UFA?

If they felt they were st the stage of recompeting again after a rebuild thrn they might have intetest

I have not suggested any players to Anaheim. I was just saying that a rebuilding team would usually have a number of players they dont have to protect. Players on ELC, older cap dumps who has waved their trade protection in trades, meh players that wont be missed and so on. If you have more than 8 skaters who would be a tragedy to lose then you are most likely one of the best teams in the league.

The expansion draft should not be a reason for rebuilding teams to stop rebuilding. It is still better to have 12 OK players and lose one, than to have ten and keep them all.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I have not suggested any players to Anaheim. I was just saying that a rebuilding team would usually have a number of players they dont have to protect. Players on ELC, older cap dumps who has waved their trade protection in trades, meh players that wont be missed and so on. If you have more than 8 skaters who would be a tragedy to lose then you are most likely one of the best teams in the league.

The expansion draft should not be a reason for rebuilding teams to stop rebuilding. It is still better to have 12 OK players and lose one, than to have ten and keep them all.

Manson, Lindholm, Fowler will be the d-men protected, leaving Larsson and Djoos as likely the best d-men available.
Rakell, Henrique, Silf, Steel, Lundestrom, Jones, Terry, Milano, Heinen all require protection. While it wouldn't be crippling to lose one of them, it would hurt. That is on top of whatever the Ducks have to pay for ADA. The Ducks have a lot of decent young players, they just don't have a top line so everyone is playing above what they should along with growing pains from the young guys. A few years of picking in the top 10 (if they get a couple to pan out) should fix it.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Rangers best move is to get market value for vets and give those mins to emerging guys

Counter:
keep steel.
ANA needs Fs anyway.

Either:

Deangelo + CAR 2020 1st 22OA + two 2020 3rds
for
ANA 1st 6OA + ANA 2021 2nd

OR

Deangelo
for
BOSTON 2020 1st + ANA 2020 + 2021 2nds

either of those doors should work for both.
Why does NYR want to get rid of its version of Shea Theodore in Anthony DeAngelo ?
He's from the NJ/NY area and is Italian, very marketable for NYCs Italian american community in terms of selling Rangers jerseys with his name on it.
I'll Pass though because i think our scouts can get more out of those picks.
Anaheim could draft a Forward with the #6 and draft Dmen with our late 1st & 2nd rounder (We did draft Theodore with a late first, Manson in the 4th or 5th round).

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Why does NYR want to get rid of its version of Shea Theodore in Anthony DeAngelo ?
He's from the NJ/NY area and is Italian, very marketable for NYCs Italian american community in terms of selling Rangers jerseys with his name on it.
I'll Pass though because i think our scouts can get more out of those picks.
Anaheim could draft a Forward with the #6 and draft Dmen with our late 1st & 2nd rounder (We did draft Theodore with a late first, Manson in the 4th or 5th round).

ADA trade talks is 100% about RD being an area of strength and our best prospect is at RD.

If Trouba didn't have a No Trade, there would be more of that talk and less ADA

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
No interest in DeAngelo, certainly not for Steel, Lundeström nor the 6th overall pick.

• RFA looking for a big contract
• Questionable character
• Seattle expansion
• Awful defensively
• Probably 30-40 points in ANA

No.

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
in countless ADA threads i've yet to see a fan of a team besides nyr offer anything substantial (may have been a low 1st offered once).
funny how rags fans see #1D but everyone else sees a #5

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
in countless ADA threads i've yet to see a fan of a team besides nyr offer anything substantial (may have been a low 1st offered once).
funny how Rangers fans see #1D but everyone else sees a #5

I think a big part of that is that Rangers fans are seeing the player, while other teams' fans are pretending to do the same. Exhibit A--look at the post just before yours. That person lists 5 reasons why they don't want ADA. Only one of them is 100% valid (Seattle expansion). Another is pure speculation (looking for a big contract) and the other three are either YEARS out of date or pure BS (the character concerns, the defensive play, and the "probable" production in Anaheim--in my experience players are what they are. They don't "produce a ton more" or a ton less in a different setting. Everyone thought Nash would double his production in NY as well...nope, he was the same old Nash. There might be a small impact, but not "cut the production in half" level impact).

But again, I don't want to trade ADA. I want to see if he or Fox or Nils can play the left as effectively, because after this year, the left side of the D is going to be VERY young/raw.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I’ve thought about creating a nylander for ADA thread where both inflated fan bases can satisfy each other.

ADA is a bootom pairing offense only Dman who plays on PP1. He’s not worth anywhere what rangers think.

Nylander is a perimeter player who brnfits from his linemstes. He can’t drive a line on his own.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
ADA is a bootom pairing offense only Dman who plays on PP1. He’s not worth anywhere what rangers think.

Literally multiple posts in this thread that show this to be false (~65% of ADA's production came at even strength), but fans continue to repeat the lie. If Rangers fans (who watch the player) say one thing, and people like you rely on lying about his production to say another thing....I'm going to tend to listen to the folks whose opinion is NOT based on an outright lie. You do you, though.

Reactions: bernmeister

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Garbage post.

There’s literally just 1 Rangers fan that believes ADA is a #1. The rest see him as a middle pairing guy, even with Marc Staal dragging him down.

But, since you’ve been actively following all these DeAngelo proposals so keenly, why don’t you back your statement up and show us how many “rags fans” see him as a number 1 dmen. Go for it. Back your shit up.

Reactions: UnSandvich

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I have never met a Rangers fan who considers DeAngelo even a #2D. :laugh:

Maybe people still dislike Tony for off-ice stuff, but when you have a 24-year-old defenseman who just finished 4th in scoring, yeah, no shit we don’t want to just give him away. And neither would you.

Reactions: Dmang714

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

That PP1 bootom pairing offense only Dman was 4th in the league in even strength production.

:dunce:

His advanced stats, TOI, and production all suggest he isn’t a bootom pairing dmen.

Reactions: bl02

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I’ve thought about creating a nylander for ADA thread where both inflated fan bases can satisfy each other.

Nylander is a perimeter player who brnfits from his linemstes. He can’t drive a line on his own.
It's a good thing having a good powerplay and a good O-Dman are important to teams more than you think. Most of us don't think DeAngelo is worth a top 6 pick, or a 60 point center.

What are you bitter about? Go jump into another thread and give it up already.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think a big part of that is that Rangers fans are seeing the player, while other teams' fans are pretending to do the same. Exhibit A--look at the post just before yours. That person lists 5 reasons why they don't want ADA. Only one of them is 100% valid (Seattle expansion). Another is pure speculation (looking for a big contract) and the other three are either YEARS out of date or pure BS (the character concerns, the defensive play, and the "probable" production in Anaheim--in my experience players are what they are. They don't "produce a ton more" or a ton less in a different setting. Everyone thought Nash would double his production in NY as well...nope, he was the same old Nash. There might be a small impact, but not "cut the production in half" level impact).

But again, I don't want to trade ADA. I want to see if he or Fox or Nils can play the left as effectively, because after this year, the left side of the D is going to be VERY young/raw.

very solid post imo and spot on about how Deangelo $ not immediately huge.
Could go bigger to nail more term, but short term 4.5 for 1-2 yrs.
That's cheap for what he delivers.

It is about roster building and getting ahead of the curve.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
That PP1 bootom pairing offense only Dman was 4th in the league in even strength production.

His advanced stats, TOI, and production all suggest he isn’t a bootom pairing dmen.

To be fair, he was actually tied for 3rd in EV Scoring

Reactions: Kupo

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Dr. Fauci, I think you have another customer here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad