GDT: Anaheim Ducks @ San Jose Sharks 7:30pm 11-7-15

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Do you guys remember during talks of trading Thornton a few seasons back (I think), some posters were discussing a deal that would send Thornton to the Stars. One of the pieces discussed heading back to SJ was a young Brendan Dillon, who several Dallas posters were hesitant to give up because he was going to be good, real good.

It's funny how times change.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Do you guys remember during talks of trading Thornton a few seasons back (I think), some posters were discussing a deal that would send Thornton to the Stars. One of the pieces discussed heading back to SJ was a young Brendan Dillon, who several Dallas posters were hesitant to give up because he was going to be good, real good.

It's funny how times change.

I do not know how true this is. But that just goes on to show much teams over-rate prospects and draft picks and under-rate established players over the age of 30.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
yup, long way to go before worrying about the team fundamentally. especially after a game like last night.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Actually I've been worrying about the team fundamentally for a while. I go to the games and research on tv. Sharks are having a very hard time breaking out of their zone cleanly. We have a very slow top line. Our PP is terrible, and we require our goalie to stand on its head to win (we give up a lot of great scoring chances). In short, we need to start thinking about making some changes I how we go about our team play imho.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Actually I've been worrying about the team fundamentally for a while. I go to the games and research on tv. Sharks are having a very hard time breaking out of their zone cleanly. We have a very slow top line. Our PP is terrible, and we require our goalie to stand on its head to win (we give up a lot of great scoring chances). In short, we need to start thinking about making some changes I how we go about our team play imho.

This has been bugging me. The thing is, I have seen times where they play quicker but its like they purposely slow the game down. I'm starting to think it's worth while breaking up the Thornton-Pavelski partnership. Their production was good last year, but I feel like they are easy to defend this year.

I'd be tempted to have Pavelski and Thornton center the first and second lines, and move Couture to a wing to give one of them speed (Marleau on the other line).

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This has been bugging me. The thing is, I have seen times where they play quicker but its like they purposely slow the game down. I'm starting to think it's worth while breaking up the Thornton-Pavelski partnership. Their production was good last year, but I feel like they are easy to defend this year.

I'd be tempted to have Pavelski and Thornton center the first and second lines, and move Couture to a wing to give one of them speed (Marleau on the other line).

I swear people have not watched the sharks for the past 10 years or any time within the thornton era. Slowing down the game is what thornton does. Its what makes him thornton. It is also why so many different kinds of players can find chemistry with thornton and have career years with him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I swear people have not watched the sharks for the past 10 years or any time within the thornton era. Slowing down the game is what thornton does. Its what makes him thornton. It is also why so many different kinds of players can find chemistry with thornton and have career years with him.

He still needs burners or at least a burner to optimize his abilities. I don't think Donskoi is that guy. The third guy still needs to be fast if Pavs is going to be there.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
He still needs burners or at least a burner to optimize his abilities. I don't think Donskoi is that guy. The third guy still needs to be fast if Pavs is going to be there.

I think that's why getting Karlsson back will be a bigger addition than most initially realize. Donskoi' been adequate and I do like him as a player, just not on that line.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Actually I've been worrying about the team fundamentally for a while. I go to the games and research on tv. Sharks are having a very hard time breaking out of their zone cleanly. We have a very slow top line.

except that line is the best at breaking it out so ...

that line has been dominant, in case you missed it.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
They absolutely have not been the best at breaking out of the zone. Once they get past the neutral zone they have problems too. Many times they are not fast enough to retrieve the puck after they dump it in. It's a problem and leads to a lot of time in our zone. They specifically have a problem recapturing the puck on a dump in and also do not put much pressure on the opposition during their forecheck.

Lastly, it's not all the fault of forwards - our D needs to stop defaulting to up and off the glass as a means to clear the zone.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

As others have said... It's fine with one guy - but I think Thornton, Pavelski and Donskoi that line is too slow. You need someone quick at getting to the open areas, and take advantage of Jumbo's passing.

Pavelski gets in front of net, getting a lot of tip ins and rebounds. But there is no one nailing a one timer from Jumbo.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
As others have said... It's fine with one guy - but I think Thornton, Pavelski and Donskoi that line is too slow. You need someone quick at getting to the open areas, and take advantage of Jumbo's passing.

Pavelski gets in front of net, getting a lot of tip ins and rebounds. But there is no one nailing a one timer from Jumbo.

I don't think it's the speed they're missing but the puckhound attribute. Karlsson's not exactly the fastest guy(I don't think Donskoi is slower than Melker) but he hustles hard. Like people have said for a long time, that line would benefit a lot from a proper F1 who forechecks hard and goes after the puck quickly and aggressively like Karlsson or Burns did. That extra aggression on the forecheck helps disrupt play just a bit more.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
They absolutely have not been the best at breaking out of the zone. Once they get past the neutral zone they have problems too. Many times they are not fast enough to retrieve the puck after they dump it in. It's a problem and leads to a lot of time in our zone. They specifically have a problem recapturing the puck on a dump in and also do not put much pressure on the opposition during their forecheck.

Lastly, it's not all the fault of forwards - our D needs to stop defaulting to up and off the glass as a means to clear the zone.

that is just false. absolutely false. watch the games sometime. seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad